1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is to blame for the awful D?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lucky Charm, Nov 21, 2013.

Tags:
?

Who is the blame for the awful D?

1. Incompetent coaching

209 vote(s)
    65.5%
  2. Lackadaisical young team

110 vote(s)
    34.5%
  1. BoomTown

BoomTown Member

This quote doesnt make sense to me. Isn't it the coaches job to instill the mentality Sampson is referring to here?

2. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Thanks for that.

I usually look at opponents fg% to give me an idea of team defenses.

What is floor percentage exactly?

3. torocan

torocan Member

Floor Percentage is the percentage of possessions on which at least 1 point is scored.

In other words, the number of times per 100 that the opposing team has the ball and ends up with points, whether through 2 pointers, 3 pointers, or fouls.

Another way to look at it is the percentage of possessions that do NOT end up being empty or wasted possessions.

4. dragician

dragician Member

James Harden

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I understand that sometimes its necessary for a mid-season coaching change, but I just hate doing it with such a volatile team without any true veteran leadership. Right now we are still in the honeymoon phase with the team bonding and getting in the flow of things. I'm more than a little bit concerned about throwing such a huge curve-ball to this teams locker room dynamic.

Les and Morey ARE smarter than Sterling... no reason to even question that one. I've followed this team long enough to know that Les is much less patient and demands more from their coaches than one might think.

Its pretty well documented that Les actually wanted Adelman gone during the last season of his tenure in Houston, and Morey had to talk him out of it to wait for the Summer. There was never a clear answer as to why, but it was pretty obvious to me that it was because of the defense which Adelman never really held his teams accountable for.

I think that Morey and even Les would say all the right things right now, and offer words of encouragement to their coaching staff, but I dont think for a minute that they aren't more than ready to step in behind closed doors if things continue to be so obviously mismanaged from a coaching perspective.

Also... don't forget the guy that they originally wanted to replace Adelman in the first place that they continue to remain close with... dont think for a minute Les and Morey behind closed doors aren't going to consider going down that road when they feel its appropriate.

6. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

I blame the interior defense...the Rockets have allowed 534 Points in the Paint in 13 games= 41.07 avg per game

(2) 50 point games (1) 60 point game...in (3) games the Rockets only allowed 30 or fewer in the paint...I thought this was the reason we signed Dwight Howard in the offseason. 48 minutes of rim protection when you have 2 top 5 defenders??? This is what I think is the main culprit!!!

534 /13 = 41.07 per game

7. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

Compare this to a team who has not one inside defender at the 5 spot BOSTON CELTICS

Celtics have given up 592 points in the paint in 13 games

592/13 = 45.53 avg w/ Rookie at Center

592-534=58 point difference and we have (2) Top 5 Centers in the Association

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Someone said (JVG?) that offense is about talent and defense is about coaching.

If it was indeed JVG's words, then it's a bit self-serving. But I thing there is some truth to it, albeit too simplistic.

Three main things about defense:
    1. Motivation/effort
    2. System/techniques
    3. Physical abilities

#1 is partly coaching partly players, but more on the coaching.
    #2 is 100% coaching.
    #3 is 100% players.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

i guess you really dont watch the games

10. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

Shut your Dumb Ass Up!!!

Compare this to a team who has not one inside defender at the 5 spot BOSTON CELTICS

Celtics have given up 592 points in the paint in 13 games

592/13 = 45.53 avg w/ Rookie at Center

592-534=58 point difference and we have (2) Top 5 Centers in the Association

I watch and also look at stats

11. yummyhawtsauce

It's a bit of both. It's not one or the other. Mchale doesn't seem like a motivating coach to get his players fired up about defense, and the players aren't playing playing defense hard enough, so it's a bit of both.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

So Asik is playing full time minutes a game right

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

true but a big part also is Elite defensive teams uses great schemes as well.

14. Apache

Apache Member

hilarious

15. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

No he doesn't but that was the whole reason of keeping Asik and Howard on this team " 48 minutes of Interior Defense" which includes rebounding and paint protection---so I blame both players cause 2 Top 5 defenders should not be giving up this many points in the paint!!! So do not tell me I do not watch the games because you cannot comprehend my statement!!

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

and you actually believed that hahahha

17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

It's all Jeremy Lin's fault for not being a leader in defensive coaching philosophers Stones. fire Lin and replace him for Jason Kidd Van Bundy

James Harry is the worst GM of all

18. strifed169

strifed169 Member

Somebody really needs to make a highlight of Harden letting the man he's guarding blow by him at will, everytime Ellis sees Harden guarding him his eyes light up, last night some scrub blew by Harden what does Harden do? slaps him on the ass.

19. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

It makes perfect sense. You can teach a dog all you want, but you can only do so much to make it play dead or roll over. Either the dog can do it or he can't.

20. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Ellis is elite tho. Borderline hall of famer 6th woman of the year. Franchise player of the golden state spartans