1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is the worst-ever #2 draft pick?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by sinobball, May 18, 2016.

1. underrated015

underrated015 Member

lol hasheem the dream.

2. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Bias is the answer, but he is also not the answer. I am convinced he would have been a really good NBA player.

3. PeppermintCandy

With OKC, there was a sliver of a moment, a handful of games, when he actually looked like he may be more than a stiff with five fouls to give. Has Thabeet finally turned the corner? some including myself hoped.

Then, poof! Disappeared again.

For me, Darko was the biggest disappointment because I think he could've been a decent player if he had been drafted by a team that showed him patience and invested in his development.

I think those formative years spent on a championship-caliber team that had no idea what to do with such a raw teenager messed him up permanently.

4. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Are we just going to ignore Beasley ahead of Westbrook/Love bc he's on the Rockets now?

5. da_juice

da_juice Member

That was definitely a bad pick.

I read somewhere once that in the nba 2nd overalls are consistently screwed up, not sure why. Even players that aren't bad (Mike Bibby, Marcus Camby) get picked in front of guys like Ray Allen, Vince Carter

6. CCorn

CCorn Member

It's rare there's more than 1 "can't miss" prospect in a draft. Second picks are taken on potential much of the time.

7. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

How could anyone mention a name other than Sam Bowie. When using hindsight, he is by default the worse draft choice in sports history.

Mike Bibby... Now that is the perfect PG to put next to Harden. Morells needs to find the next Bibby.

8. CCorn

CCorn Member

Bowie was a better player than half of this list.

9. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

And Jordan was a better player than anyone, ever.

The Rockets are exempt from this criteria because their pick became a Hall of Famer and all time great. Sam Bowie, not so much.

10. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Darko --Lots of talent in that draft passed up for him.
    Runner up goes to Thabeet. (only because his was a much weaker draft).

Tough to put Stromile Swift on the list as the 2000 draft was just pitiful overall, and while Bowie was the biggest miss by far, it was injuries that really took him down rather than talent or attitude.

11. gambingo

gambingo Member

Thabeet has to be up there. IIRC, he along with other NBA players were in China and they were doing some basic dribbling drill/warm-up, and he was the only one that kept losing the ball. He's a big, but cmon, you're in the NBA getting paid millions and you cant even dribble a ball full court with no defender on you.

12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Thabeet was just a really tall guy, he really wasn't a basketball player, I still remember when he went to China with Yao for a promotional tour and he couldn't even make hooks in practice drills with no one guarding him.

Darko was just wasted talent imo

13. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I wish there was a Sticky thread breaking down the likelihood of getting a player of each quality (bust, rotation player, starter, star, etc.) at each pick (or groups of picks the later you go). First round picks are so overrated, and this thread helps to prove that. Posters drool over a #12 pick here - but look at how many busts are at the #2 spot! That's why I think building strictly through the draft is such a bad idea.

14. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

I gotta go with Darko over Thabeet on this one, simply because everybody knew that Thabeet was raw and a huge risk. Darko was supposed to be one of the best players out of Europe ever. Check out this quote from Sports Illustrated in 2003:
    The dude went from being the best prospect ever to being called "the human victory cigar" by announcers when he got inserted into games for garbage minutes. This for a guy who people were criticizing Cleveland for passing on to take Lebron James.

15. SunsRocketsfan

Winner!!!

Living out here in San Diego, I couldn't agree with you more.

16. SunsRocketsfan

Sam Bowie unfortunately had his career cut short by injuries but being drafted before MJ gives him extra points and attention as being a huge bust.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

To Morey--and I agree--it doesn't really matter how likely a pick can get high quality player. A pick has value as long as other GMs value it. It is just a piece of asset. If it is overrated, then trade it for real players.

That's why the #12 spot was coveted over a sure first round playoffs buttkick.

Incidentally, I trust Morey in trading the pick for good value than in actually using the pick to pick a good player.

18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I don't think there is a single person that would have taken him over Lebron. Lebron was the best prospect since KAJ. Nike gave him a 90 million dollar contract before he played a single game. How many rookies got 90 million dollar contracts before playing?

19. Harden's beard

20. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I totally disagree. Bowie could play, his body just gave on him.

Thabeet was just awful.

My guess is (and I mean no disrespect whatsoever) some of you are young and didn't get a chance to see Bowie play in college.