1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is the most overrated Rocket of all-time.........

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JBIIRockets, Feb 28, 2001.

1. Colby

Colby Member

Pipppen by far. Then I would go Pippen. He was very overated. The 3rd would be Pippen.

Honorable Mention: Pippen, Pippen, Sampson, Pippen, Chevious, Pippen, and Pippen.

------------------
    "Chucky who? I thought we were talking about basketball?" Charles Barkley

2. The Real Shady

#1 PIPPEN - only if we could have picked up McDyess instead.

#2 Horry - this guy was supposed to be the next Pippen. (When Pippen was playing good)

#3 Air(ball) Langhi - I only say he is overrated because of how a many people at this site say how good he is going to be.

------------------

3. haven

haven Member

Pippen and Willis, in my time. I admit, I only vaguely remember Chievous and none of Barry.

Willis was a *good* player all year, but really was HORRIBLE against Utah in the playoffs... he just kept missing shots, and he wouldn't pass. I think we might have won if not for him.

Pippen... "best all-round player in basketball" is what he was called. HA!

Scott Brooks? WHY?!??! He was our energizer ! I loved that little guy!

Horry? Sure, he never fulfilled his potential, but in the beginning, nobody expected anything of him... and w/o him, the Rockets would never have won at least 1 of those championships. It was his play during that time that made people expect more, which was unfair. Overall, he was a pleasant surprise.

------------------
    Why is it that everytime BC defeats a major conference opponent, that opponent promptly goes on a losing streak?

PS. Notre Dame sucks

4. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

Scottie Pippen and definetly Ralph Sampson and think, we could have had Jordan for Sampson!!!

------------------
    Arkansas' Biggest Rocket Fan!

5. haven

haven Member

Lil Pun: Problem is, Sampson wasn't really being overrated. At the time, he was a great player. If injuries hadn't killed his career, he might have been terrific. I don't think injuries mean someone was overrated. Would you consider Danny Manning overrated? I wouldn't.

------------------
    Why is it that everytime BC defeats a major conference opponent, that opponent promptly goes on a losing streak?

PS. Notre Dame sucks

6. Rockeem

Rockeem Member

1)Cuttino
    2)Cuttino
    3)Cuttino

------------------

7. haven

haven Member

Rockeem: I hope you're kidding me. Cat came in here with no expectations and is a near-All Star now.

Pleaes tell me you're joking [​IMG]. I'd actually say Cuttino is the best Rocket's draftpick... ever, rivaled only by Sam Cassell.

------------------

PS. Notre Dame sucks

8. carlos

carlos Member

Definately Joe Barry Carrol. Putting it into perspective for all you under 30, his potential was just as unlimited as Cato's. In fact sometimes I think Cato is channeling Joe Barry. Maybe that guy on the Sci-Fi channel that speaks to the dead could tell us for certain.

------------------

9. Hydra

Hydra Member

Season G MIN/G FG% FT% 3Pt% Fouls DQ REB/G Asst/G Stl/G Blocks/G TO/G PPG
    1997 53 37.91 48.41 69.40 28.29 153 2 13.51 4.68 1.30 .47 2.85 19.17
    1998 68 32.99 48.52 74.56 21.43 187 2 11.68 3.19 1.04 .41 2.16 15.24
    1999 42 36.33 47.81 71.91 16.00 89 0 12.29 4.57 1.02 .31 2.38 16.10
    2000 20 31.00 47.75 64.55 23.08 48 1 10.45 3.15 .70 .20 2.20 14.45

What more do you want out of a 6'4" power forward? Overrated my @$$.

------------------
    Karl Malone wants to make sex on that Faith Hill. - Jimmy Kimmel as "The Mailman"

[This message has been edited by Hydra (edited February 28, 2001).]

10. JR

JR Member

originally posted by haven:

Scott Brooks? WHY?!??! He was our energizer ! I loved that little guy!

Come on Haven. That kind of stuff is exactly why Scott Brooks is undeniably the most overrated Rocket of all time. He sucked. He ground the offense to a halt during every painful fourth quarter that he "energized." Thank God someone woke Rudy up or Houston would still likely be dreaming about its first championship.

Seriously, does anyone think Scott Brooks really would have played or stuck around in the NBA as long as he did if he weren't white? I still can't believe that guy ever saw the floor.

------------------

11. vj23k

vj23k Member

How could anyone say Cato is overrated?

Overpayed, yes, overrated, no.

Willis played great for us in 98.

Even Barkley who's spot was taken by Willis promoted Willis's starting and getting big minutes.

------------------
    Never Underestimate the Heart of a Champion

12. Plowman

Plowman Member
    Supporting Member

Rodney McCray and Cedric Maxwell....before we found out he was finished.

------------------

[This message has been edited by hardwood (edited February 28, 2001).]

13. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Member

No one can anticipate a major injury like he had...

What, does that mean that Brad Daugherty sucks, too?

------------------
    "There are three kinds of lies:
    Lies, Damned Lies, and STATISTICS..."
    - Mark Twain -

14. Toast

Toast Member

Willis is a good choice, but I go with Pippen. Very overrated.

I don't think Chris Jent was ever conisdered that great, so I don't see why he'd be overrated.

Cato's not overrated, just underachieving. Sampson was good when his knees were healthy.

I dunno if it counts, 'cause he was only with us for such a short time, but Pippen still gets my vote.

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

15. Miggidy Markell

Anyone says Charles Barkley is overrated again I will have to personally kick their ass! [​IMG]

------------------
    Miggidy Markell says:

1. Eastcoast is da sh*t
    2. Rockets rule
    3. Hip/Hop is dope
    4. Buy the new Ruff Ryders album!

Miggidy Markell is watching
    Stay STRAPPED & WATCH ya back or be Assimilated.

16. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Charles Barkley

( . )

------------------
    Time is a great teacher-- only problem is it kills all its pupils.
    PowerbizOnline.com

[This message has been edited by RichRocket (edited March 01, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by RichRocket (edited March 01, 2001).]

17. DAROckets

DAROckets Member

Achebe,

How in the world could you say Drexler ????????? He came to us at the end of his career when ppl in portland thought he was done and helped the team win a championship.It's not like his time with the Rockets was a bust.Please explain ??

Most overrated=pippen noone else even comes close.

------------------

18. DAROckets

DAROckets Member

Also I don't think you ppl naming Stick are being fair.He would have become one of the all time greats had it not been for injuries.

------------------

19. Plowman

Plowman Member
    Supporting Member

In retrospect,Fitch should have kept him at center.His problems started when he was playing the PF in the twin towers system.Sampson was a fundamentals guy with finesse and should have been kept down on the blocks and been used to set picks.(like Kareem)He was putting up 20 and 10 and then started to suffer when they moved him out of there.......Dream had the athletic ability and obviously developed that great outside shot to where he would have adapted fine.He would have had his time down low too.Ralph's injuries can be directly traced to his use...letting him handle the ball away from the rim so much,ridiculus....Well,I,for one believe this had a lot to do with what happened to his knees.

------------------

[This message has been edited by hardwood (edited March 01, 2001).]

20. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Scott Brooks was NOT overrated. How could he be? Maybe you are confused with the word OVERACHIEVER. Yeah, he was small, yeah he was not a good scorer, but he played the backup role just fine for a while. He sufficed, and that was it. I don't think too much was expected of the guy other than to give the starter some rest. He didn't turn the ball over much, and distributed it well when he was in.

What ever do you mean about him not being around as long if he weren't white? There is no logic in that statement at all.

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."