1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Who is the most overrated Rocket of all-time.........

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JBIIRockets, Feb 28, 2001.

1. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

For me that is an easy question.
    It's Kevin Willis by a longshot.
    In his first year with us, he just flat out sucked, OK. He had one good game against the Bulls, but that is about it.
    In the playoffs that year he was terrible, he was the biggest waste of a back up ever. I am really refering to the series against Utah.
    After watching those games over and over again, Kevin Willis was the reason why we lost the series. Whenever he entered the game, everything fell apart for the Rockets, he could not make shots, commited bad fouls,
    and since he could not make anything the rockets offense bogged down. Let me say this again, Kevin Willis was the biggest reason we lost the series

Read this comment that Clutch wrote about Willis's performance in Game 2 at Utah......

"The bench was pure scum. Actually, the played lower than that. Sedale Threatt missed jumper after jumper, Eddie Johnson threw up a brick and Kevin Willis... oh man Kevin Willis! Terrible, terrible, terrible!. I know I sound like Bill Walton, but Willis was single-handedly throwing the game away with his poor shot selection. His 15-foot rainbow that barely hit the backboard made me want to throw up."

also game 2, at Utah

"And the bench play? Kevin Willis is too busy thinking about watching that "Beavis & Butthead" movie again. He looks awful"

If that doesn't back up my claim, nothing does! Heck, maybe Clutch agrees with me.

One more, Game 5 97 playoffs vs Sonics....

"Kevin Willis played just 15 minutes, but he did manage to brick three shots. Somehow he flung in a free throw though. Kevin had 1 point, 0 rebounds. That's not a soccer score, it's his stats. 1-0."

I will admit, that Willis had a better 1998, but he continued to suck in the playoffs that year (except for game 1 at Utah, he actually hit his shots that night, and, hey, what a surprise, we won).

I don't understand why Rocket fans were so high on this guy, even at the time, I knew this guy was no good.

Well, that is my most overrated player, Kevin Willis.

Agree or not? Who is yours?
    OUT

JBIIRockets

------------------

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

3. ROCKET RICH NYC

ROCKET RICH NYC Contributing Member

Chris Jent and Earl Cureton were the most OVERRATED ROCKETS!
    Those guys got rings and didn't even play a whole season. How dare they ride on the bandwagon!

------------------

4. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Pippen! Hands down the most overrated Rocket of all time. He came in here with all the hoopla of 6 Championship rings, contributed nothing to the future of the team & left like a whiney b****. To top it off, he caused us to be stuck with Cato/Walt. [​IMG]

------------------

5. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

1. Pippen
    2. Rodney McCray
    3. Kelvin Cato (pls. prove me wrong, KC)
    4. Ralph Sampson

6. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Willis??? Most overated ever??? You must be joking.

Ever hear of Derrick Chevious? How bout Buck Johnson?

------------------
    "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."-
    (Aldous Huxley)

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Gotta go with Pippen.

If you are talking about potential based on trades, draft, etc., than I have to go with John Turner. Maybe the greatest waste of a Rockets draft pick ever.

Behind that would be Sampson but only because of the injuries.

------------------
    "You know what they say about the music business. Here today, gone TODAY!

- Chris Rock at the MTV Music Video Awards

8. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

9. BBFEVER

BBFEVER Contributing Member

Anyone remember Dave Jamisson (spelling ?) or John Turner. Ouch! Man the Days of Don at coach really brought in some terrible draft choices!

------------------

10. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Pippen
    McCray
    Cato

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

11. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

You mean Dave Jamerson? I don't think he was highly touted anyway.

Kevin Willis? You must be joking. Willis played very well for us. So well in fact, that Barkley had come back from an injury, and told Rudy Willis was playing so well, to keep him in the starting lineup.

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

[This message has been edited by HOOP-T (edited February 28, 2001).]

12. Valio!

Valio! Member

hmmm...that's hard to say..seems the Rockets often pick up underrated folks...So I guess I'd have to go with Pippen. He was expected to pick up a seventh ring here - instead he just picked up a DUI or whatever and moved on...

------------------
    "Segregation is an absolutely horrid practice - except when it comes to numbers and letters. I just don't think they should be mixed." - P. Mesku on his dislike of algebra

13. TexMex

TexMex Member

How about
    Joe Barry Carrol
    Steve Harris
    World B. Free
    Walter Berry
    Kelvin Cato

TexMex

------------------

14. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

15. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Charles Barkley? The same one that helped us get passed Seattle? That was the reason we got him, so he did his job. And Kevin Willis was our MVP in 1998. Without him we probably don't make the playoffs, and he was key when Charles and Dream were banged up. The most overrated Rockets though

1.)Scottie Pippen
    2.)Carl Herrera
    3.)Walt Williams

Walt has looked good lately, but he used be a star player. He is playing like garbage the majority of his time here.

------------------
    Rocks2001 in disguise. . .

[This message has been edited by RocksMillenium (edited February 28, 2001).]

16. JR

JR Contributing Member

Scott Brooks

------------------

17. Launch Pad

Launch Pad Contributing Member

I have to back you up on this one. The Chuckster was the most overrated ("overrated" means something totally different from "the worst") Rocket of all time.

Sure he got us past Seattle, but at the expense of not being able to get past Utah anymore. I'd rather lose to the Sonics than the Jazz. Furthermore, the Seattle team that we had such a problem with was basically stripped apart anyway.

I wouldn't vote for Willis, because, he did play well in the regular season and he was never viewed highly by most of the fans anyway.

------------------

18. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

3) Clyde Drexler
    2) Chucky Brown
    1) Ralph Sampson

------------------

19. bronxfan

bronxfan Contributing Member

I think when you consider "overrated" you have to go with expectations that extended beyond houston media. in that sense, sampson by far. he was expected to be the best center to come out of college since kareem. hell if i remember correctly sports illustrated did a cover story on him just before the draft.

i know he had a decent career, but nowhere near the expectations that he generated.

20. montgo

montgo Contributing Member

1. Pippen
    2. Roderick Rhodes

------------------
    "Their Tiger Kung Fu is strong, but our Dragon will defeat them!"