1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is the most overrated rock-n-roll band ever?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheFreak, Jul 13, 2001.

1. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

My pick--Nirvana.

These guys had one album that just took off. They changed the face of music in the early 90s. And?

That's not enough for me. Just not enough memorable songs, and Cobain's voice is awful. After watching one of VH-1's "Greatest ____ Ever" shows the other day, I was inspired to dust off "In Utero" and give it a listen. Ugh. Where are the songs? Nothing but a bunch of incoherent yelling from Cobain.

Nirvana was in the right place at the right time, IMO, and put out one great album. That's not enough to be one of the best rock bands ever.

Anyone else?

------------------
    "I guess that's YOUR theory"

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Damn, Freak. When I read the title of this thread, I was immediately thinking either Motley Crue, Pearl Jam, or REM. All of those bands I felt enjoyed much more success than their music deserved.

But I had completely forgotten about Nirvana. You are right, that band came around at just the right time, planets aligned, or some such nonsense. I like maybe 3 or 4 songs that band ever did, and few of those were really memorable to me.

As harsh as it may sound, I think the best thing Cobain ever did for that bands success was shoot himself at the right time. One or two more albums, and fans would have started to realize how little talent existed in that ragtag group of Seattle grungers. Cobain's death elevated him and his band by association to rock martyrdom, somehow. Maybe I am exaggerating, but that was exactly the impression I got at the time, and it has lasted for many years in some people.

------------------
    Rockets need power forward. Mo near now. Go near Mo.

You can Run from the bet, you can Rave at the bet...but you just can't hide.

[This message has been edited by Raven Lunatic (edited July 13, 2001).]

3. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

hmmm, I'm gonna have to say Aerosmith and the Rollng Stones. Yeah, they were good in their hey-day, but sometimes you just need to retire. Now Aerosmith has some multi-ga-zillion dollar deal with Dodge and they're even more overated.

All boy bands are overated, but of course, they're NOT rock & roll...

gimme a chance, I'll think of some more!
    rH

------------------
    INSERT NAIL HERE >> X << FOR NEW MONITOR

join the club! Rockets Psychedelic Groove House Club on Yahoo!

Stop annoying X10 ads!

4. Band Geek Mobster

Nirvana's a very nice selection for overrated rock band, my vote goes to Aerosmith...

They were awesome back in the 70's, but ever since then, they've put out horrible music that all sounds the same. The only post 70's Aerosmith song I liked is "Janie's Got a Gun." I swear during the 90's they just played the same song over and over but changed the title from "Cryin" to "Amazing" to "Crazy".

Now, they're at a new all-time low by performing horrible songs with Teen Boybands and Pop Sluts during the Super Bowl.

They were so much better when they were drug addicts...

------------------
    So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking,
    Racing around to come up behind you again.
    The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
    Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

5. Band Geek Mobster

Damn you beat me rockHEAD!

------------------

6. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

In my ever-so-humble opinion, the most overrated rock band of all time is Guns & Roses.

Appetite for Destruction had two good songs on it. GnR rode the hype for everything they could, and then when they tried to follow it up, they failed so miserably the band evaporated. Seeing Fat Axl perform with 5 completely new members in Brazil earlier this year confirms it for me. They were a huge flash in the pan, and get way more credit than they deserve.

I think Peter Buck from REM summed it up the best. In the early 1990s, a reporter from Rolling Stone showed up at Peter Buck's house in Athens, Georgia for an interview. After ringing the doorbell, the reporter noticed that the welcome mat in front of Buck's front door had Guns n Roses' logo on it along with drawings of all five members. When the reporter asked Buck why he had such a welcome mat on his front porch, Buck replied:

"I can't think of anything or anyone I would rather wipe my feet on more than Guns and Roses"

That about sums it up for me. IMHO, they were pure crap. Good riddance.

------------------
    "Blues is a Healer"
    --John Lee Hooker

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Phish - I've never heard the music industry buzz more about a band with no songs, just jamming.

Oasis - Another band that had a hit or two but no longevity and everyone still seems to think they crap gold.

Pearl Jam - the were so much more indicative of a type of band than of a change in music. I knew lots of bands that sounded just like them when they came out. They were just in the right place at the right time.

Grateful Dead - I put them in the Phish category. They were really not a good band but that following kept them humming for years.

Pink Floyd - As much as I love David Gilmore, I can not for the life of me figure out why Dark Side of the Moon and the Wall stayed in the top 100 Billboard albums for like 20 years.

My Personal MOST Overrated:

The Sex Pistols - Ugh! Bad punk music.

Eek, I just ranted. [​IMG]

------------------
    How the hell should I know why God would allow the Holocaust. I don't even know how the electric can opener works. - from Hannah and Her Sisters

[This message has been edited by Jeff (edited July 13, 2001).]

8. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just thought of another.

AC/DC.

The band is good, and has some good songs, but they all sound exactly the same. Some of them sound so similar, I hear one song of theirs on the radio, and get another of their songs stuck in my head. That should never happen.

------------------
    Rockets need power forward. Mo near now. Go near Mo.

You can Run from the bet, you can Rave at the bet...but you just can't hide.

9. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

That's enough for me. No more of the 80's music.

For that alone, they aren't rated high enough. [​IMG]

I think Jeff's list is actually pretty accurate...though I like a lot of Floyd.

Rok

------------------
    "Do you know what nemesis means? 'A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent'. Personified, in this case, by a horrible c***: ME."
    - Brick Top, Snatch

10. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I concur with Jeff regarding the band Phish. I never understood the mega-hype on that one.

------------------
    "Blues is a Healer"
    --John Lee Hooker

11. haven

haven Member

My vote would have to be for Soundgarden. I was into the grunge thing... but I thought these guys were boring. "Black Whole Sun" was, for me, the most overrated song ever. The lyrics were cliched and the riffs were boring.

I'm almost alone here evidently in really liking Nirvana [​IMG]. I enjoyed the vast majority of the songs they did. I also liked Pearl Jam. *shrug*

------------------
    Clutchcity.net... source for all your Rockets, Astros, political, music, humor, and Gordita news.

12. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

yeah.. go figure haven...

I think Pearl Jam was more overrated than Soundgarden... Soundgarden STILL rocks, even though they are no more...

I agree with Jeff on Phish and The Dead.. unless you are on acid, I don't think these bands matter...

Here's someone who's WAY OVERRATED... and some folks are going to get their feelings hurt, but Dave Matthews and his band are WAY overrated! Dave Matthews and Phish both rode the wave of "needed jam bands" when the G-Dead keeled over.

rH

------------------
    INSERT NAIL HERE >> X << FOR NEW MONITOR

join the club! Rockets Psychedelic Groove House Club on Yahoo!

Stop annoying X10 ads!

13. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Well I still enjoy Nirvana, so I don't really think they are overated. [​IMG]

Some of the most overated:

Limp Biscuit
    Guns and Roses
    Aerosmith

That's about all that i can think of but I'm sure there is more...

------------------
    .,.·^*'´'|'\..........,.·^*'´¯¯¯'`*^·,...,/|'`*^·-,
    '|.......'|::\......,·'.....,.·:*:·,......'`i:'|.......|
    '|.......'|:::|.....;.......':,:::,:·.......';:|.......|
    '|.......|::;i - ·;i'`:,......¯¯.......,·´|::|.......|
    '|.......'´.......'|'i:::`*:~·.–·~^*'´: :'|::|.......'`*·-,
    '|........,.-:^:':'\:'`:;:: :: : : : :: ::;·'i::/`':^·.,......`'i
    '|..,.:'´:::::::::::'\| '`*^~·:–:·~^*'´..'|/:::::::::'`:^:., |
    '´:;:::::::::;:-·^*'´.....................`'*^·:;-.....:;·'
    ....`·;:·'´........................................'`^·:;·´

14. red

red Contributing Member

i cant believe u put pink floyd on the list. u have no soul. just an opinion

------------------
    i just wasted a couple seconds of your life while u read my post...this one is a bonus...

15. Tolpatcsh Verkinder

Aerosmith, without a doubt.

------------------
    It was the time of the preacher, in the year of '01
    Now the preachin' is over, and the lessons begun . . .

16. floyd

floyd Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

PINK FLOYD IS THE GREATEST BAND EVER

Any statements to the contrary is just blasphemous.
    [​IMG]

------------------

17. Kingrene

Kingrene Member

The most overrated band for me is the Rolling Stones. Mick Jagger prancing around to rip-offed guitar riffs is not very impressive to me.

Also, if you never got to experience the whole Grateful Dead scene, you really missed a fun, unique experience. They wrote great lyrics, and filled stadiums with 60,000 people who just wanted to be nice to eachother.

When Jerry Garcia died, an entire culture faded.

------------------

18. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I never thought Nirvana was all that....until I saw them in concert.

They rocked!

Pink Floyd!?! You're going to hell for that one, Jeff. jeez...you might as well have said Led Zep...well, maybe it's not that extreme.

In fact, I'm just gonna have come back at you and say that I think the Beatles are the most overrated Rock Band of all time.

------------------
    stop posting my damn signature

19. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Seriously, people. Do you honestly believe that the Grateful Dead would have been as popular if the people who listened to them were not stoned or tripping all of the time?

------------------

20. Band Geek Mobster

I wonder if Jeff thinks Jimi Hendrix is overrated as well... [​IMG]

------------------