1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is the most influential rock and roll band EVER?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by across110thstreet, Jan 30, 2002.

?

Who is the most influential rock and roll band EVER?

1. Led Zeppelin

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  2. The Beatles

36 vote(s)
    78.3%
  3. The Rolling Stones

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  4. The Who

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. The Velvet Underground

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  6. Aerosmith

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  1. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

this is in response to many threads lately, particularly the Double CD thread, the Best Bass PLayer thread, the overrated/underrated musician thread, and finally the Led Zeppelin thread.

we're talking pound for pound, punch for punch, who has had the most impact on the genre of rock and roll and what it is today.

I go with Zeppelin. They epitomize the blues, Jimmy Page pretty much invented the heavy metal guitar riff, and in their heyday, they outsold the Beatles at every stadium in America, in fact, by 1974, they TRIPLED previous records set by the Fab Four.

so whos it gonna be?

#1 across110thstreet, Jan 30, 2002
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2002
  2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Its The Beatles, by a landslide!!!!

"Jimmy Page invented the heavy metal guitar riff"???:confused:

I don't think so.

3. dylan

dylan Contributing Member

The problem with The Who, The Rolling Stones, and the Zep is that they were all bluesy rock and roll bands that (imo) had more-or-less equal influences. The VU, however, were the first and only alt rock band for a large number of years. They did more to show what was and was not acceptable than any other band...

4. haven

haven Member

I voted for The Velvet Underground.

Lez Zeppelin, the Stones, and the Beatles would have been tied for 2nd, imo.

5. across110thstreet

his solos were unique- WAY more innovative than George Harrison,

and theres no question about Bonzo vs. Ringo

6. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

I agree his solos were more innovative than Harrison's, and Bonzo was head and shoulders above Ringo.

Listen to Freddie King, Albert King, B.B. King, Hubert Sumlin, Muddy Waters, just to name a few. Page played the same licks (minor pentatonic scale, mostly) as the old Blues players.

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

epitomize? oh, man... did you maybe mean "copped the blues"? zep and the stones wouldn't exist without the pioneering african american artists of the 30', 40' and 50's. they borrowed and outright stole a good majority of their riffs from the likes of muddy waters, et al.

i like both bands, but let's not overstate their influence.

i'm not sure what popular opinion has to do with this. hasn't garth brooks now passed the beatles in terms of cumulative sales? why isn't he on the list?

i'm sorry: this topic begins and ends with the beatles and that's coming from someone who's never been a huge fan of their's. every rock band since has been influenced by the beatles. heck, jagger openly idolized them even when both bonds were at the absolute primes in the late 60's. go check out... oh, crap... what's the name of the stone's "sgt. pepper" retread? can't think of it off the top of my head, but it's comedy gold.

also, for arguement's sake, where in the hell are the ramones? aerosmith over the ramones? aerosmith?!

8. across110thstreet

thats why the focus of the thread is the most INFLUENTIAL. those bluesmasters influenced Page, and in my opinion, Page brought that style to a whole new level(followed closely by Jimi Hendrix).

which leaves me with the question: what is rock and roll these days? is it still blues based or has pop taken over?

and finally, were the Beatles a rock and roll band or the first true Pop band ever?

9. across110thstreet

no, I meant epitomize

e·pit·o·mize (-pt-mz)
    tr.v. e·pit·o·mized, e·pit·o·miz·ing, e·pit·o·miz·es
    1.To make an epitome of; sum up.
    2.To be a typical example of:

I dont like Aerosmith, I threw them in since they have been making music for 30 years now.

I wasnt talking about record sales, I was talking about Concert attendance.
    Garth Brooks is not Rock and Roll,
    and neither is the Ramones (opinion), but feel free to share your opinion on how they were more influential.

I NEVER SAID LED ZEPPELIN INVENTED ROCK AND ROLL.
    THE WHOLE IDEA OF THIS IS TO SEE WHO INFLUENCED WHO

#9 across110thstreet, Jan 30, 2002
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2002
  10. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Most influential?

This thread is just like all the other "best hoops player ever", "best president", yadda yadda yadda.

All of the bands listed were influential on other musicians/bands to some extent. It all depends on what kind of music the "influenced" musician/band was into.

For Chrisssakes, why isn't Alexanders' Ragtime Band listed?
    They influenced a whole GENERATION of musicians!!:D

Oh wait...you said "Rock n Roll" band...my bad!

OK here goes...Bill Haley and the Comets were the most influential rock n roll band ever, because before they came around, rock n roll was known as rhythm and blues!

11. Hey Now!

if longevity merits mentioning, where's kiss? or van halen? i'd rate both more influential than aerosmith.

i really don't think garth brooks belongs on any list (tho, i have to admit, that freaking dr. pepper jingle is like musical herion); i was trying to make a point. record sales would be a far greater barometer of influence than concert sales and yet i'd still be skeptical of record sales because, if garth brooks can outsell the beatles...

besides, are you aware of the vast difference between touring in 1965 and 1974? night and day. it's really not a valid point with regards to this specific subject.

as for the ramones: the ramones launched the punk movement. the sex pistols, the clash and the entire seattle grunge scene, to name just a few, were all birthed in some form because of the ramones. they have their fingerprints all over far more bands and trends than aerosmith, the stones or the who.

in fact, the stones tried in vain to jump on the punk bandwagon which preceeded their attempts to jump on the disco bandwagon. the stones were, and always have been, followers. great band in their beggar's baquet-exile prime, but not terribly influential.

you're right, zeppelin certainly didn't; in fact, your poll failed to metnion anyone who had a hand in rock's invention.

12. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's funny - the influence a band has never stays the same. If you had asked me in 1990 who is the most influential rock band of all time, I would have said Zepellin. At the time, all the hair metal bands and even some of the heavier alt-rock bands (Soundgarden, Jane's Addiction) owed alot or even everything to Zepellin. The high pitched singing, the boom-crack style of drumming, and the quasi-blues guitar riffs all pointed to Zep.

However, times change and most rock bands that you hear today are largely influenced by Metallica. They all use a heavily-distorted (usually via a Mesa-Boogie amp with a scooped eq), down-picked and palm-muted style of guitar playing that James Hetfield pretty much popularized. Most of the drummers use a drum sound and the lead-footed approach similar or identical to Lars Ulrich. Of course these bands try (emphasis on try) to be funkier (due to their hip-hop influences) but the Metallica influence is still very much there.

Just about every pop band has been influenced by the Beatles. However, there have been times when the Beatles influence was negligible (the 70s for example) and their influence on rock music is more debatable. You don't hear as many bands who sound like the Beatles as you do say Zepellin. That may be a good thing (imitation may be flattery but it's not always particularly easy to listen to) and it may be a bad thing (good songwriting and smart arranging are things alot of bands could use).

The Velvet Underground, when all is said and done, really didn't influence that many people. However, pretty much all the people who bought their albums when they were first released went on to form great bands (i.e. David Bowie, Brian Eno, Chryssie Hynde, Ric Ocasek). I think that's the best kind of influence anyone could hope for.

13. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I think you are understimating the Stones influence. The thing that carried the Rolling Stones IMO was Jagger however. That guy is a very powerful, creative, talented and charismatic singer--and you can't take that way when judging the impact of the band. In fact I think they have a very strong influence on the musical landscape, but it boils down to Jagger and their songwriting more than any innovation in their musicianship IMHO.

14. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

While they aren't my favorite band on the list (not that I dislike them), by far the Beatles have to be the #1 most influential band in American history. Ask a random sampling of musicians around the age of 40 why they play their instrument and the most common answer would be "seeing the Beatles on Ed Sullivan". Many drummers started playing because of Ringo.

15. Hey Now!

i'm actually a pretty big fan of the stones, and mick jagger "borrowed" most of what he did from other artists. tina turner, for instance, was a big influence on him.

in terms of songwriting... jagger's probably underrated in that department, imo, but keith was just as instrumental (pun intended) in the stones' success, if not moreso. listen to some of jagger's solo stuff and it's pretty ordinary, familiar. keith actually turned in some great solo work in the late 80's.

i mean, any band that's been around for 40 years is going to influence someone; it's simply not possible to last that long and make no impact. but the stones really didn't bring a lot to the table; they copped their sound, sometimes their songs, from other artists and rode trends, in leiu of creating them.

great, great band, especially in the late 60's, early 70's when they rose to the challenge of succeeding the beatles, but...

16. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I agree that this thread is asking an impossible question. I voted for the Beatles because they were truly revolutionaries.

Maybe Led Zeppelin and The Who, etc. are better musicians, but chances are they along with everyone else was influenced by the Beatles somehow.

My biggest gripe is how in the world could you have put Aerosmith on this list? Goddang...forget influential...try "overrated". To have them as one of your choices over a band like a Pink Floyd is insane, IMO.

17. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Of course the answer to the question is the Beatles.

However, the tentacles of Velvet Underground influence continue to amaze me. I finally broke down and got 2001's media darlings -- otherwise known as the Strokes -- CD last week. Really like the CD, but, as I listened to it I heard the Velvet's influence on every song.

34 years later, if Velvet Underground and Nico had come out today, it would be the top album of the year and hailed as fresh and innovative. That's pretty amazing, if you ask me.

18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

there is no question it's the beatles. they influenced everything. it doesn't matter that so and so can play better than george or ringo sucks compared to john bonham. these were the perfect bandmates for john and paul. just because you can play a monster guitar riff or a killer drum solo doesn't mean you stick it in everything.

also led zeppelin is my favorite band ever, but Ric is right, they owe a hell of alot to the great african american bluesman before them. but they did use that sound and take it to another level. also outselling someone in concerts has absolutely nothing to do with influence, not to say that zeppelin didn't influence a hell of alot of bands.

as for aerosmith, they are indeed the most overrated band ever. has joe perry ever come up with an original riff? maybe 2 or 3.

19. across110thstreet

well, dylan was safe when he said velvet underground was the "MOst Influential R&R band ever(Besides the Beatles)"

I guess I thought about it. the Beatles set the standard for rock and roll.
    Zeppelin changed rock and roll.

Im just a die hard Zep fanatic who pisses off friends.

but i love the damn beatles too.
    When George died, thousands of people flocked to Strawberry fields, it was amazing.

20. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Lou Reed and The Velvet Underground!!!!!!

The Velvet Underground was the first band that made me say, Wow, now that's different.

They completely influenced how I wrote and played!

Oh, is this about influencing rock and roll or us personally?

If it's rock and roll, then I'd say...(excuse me while I drift back 35 years...)...the Beatles...only because every garage band knew a Beatle song.

RR