1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is the Leader of this team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by spankz141, Mar 7, 2013.

?

Who is the leader?

1. Harden

363 vote(s)
    46.1%
  2. Lin

234 vote(s)
    29.7%
  3. Parsons

80 vote(s)
    10.2%
  4. Delfino

10 vote(s)
    1.3%
  5. Brooks

22 vote(s)
    2.8%
  6. Other

13 vote(s)
    1.7%
  7. No Leader

65 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. Jedster

Jedster Member

Hmm, after watching almost every game of this season on LP and also live once, I guess a way to see this is to imagine yourself joining the Rockets.
    IF I was say a young player with high potential (as many Rockets are at this point), I would:
    1. Admire Harden for his skills and try to copy and learn from some of his moves. I would also be most intimidated by him because of his status, but I'll want to reach his level.
    2. Look to Lin for advice/guidance when I'm benched with little or no playing time, and feeling down.
    3. I'll also try to get on Lin's good side so that he passes to me, and make sure I know my plays so that he doesn't yell at me when I'm standing in the wrong position or misread his hand signals.
    4. I'm not a strip club kinda guy, so I will more likely than not discuss life/spiritual issues with Lin than with Harden.
    5. I will also consult with Parsons depending on my playing position and learn some skills from him. He also seems like a down to earth kinda guy so being friends is possible.

So yeah, it really depends on what you mean by leader. If on purely basketball terms, I would stick to Lin because I want the passes, and not get yelled at.

LOL...sorry for this ridiculous fantasy post. Just having a bit of fun.

2. redearth

redearth Contributing Member

Wow, as of today, over 2,400 individual fans have voted for Lin? I thought LOFs on CF numbered in the dozens, not thousands... and maybe I'm mistaken in my assumption that only an LOF would select Lin as the team leader.

Lin is definitely a leader, but so are many other players, all in their own way. Harden has to be my choice, because if he goes down to injury the void is really difficult to fill compared to others.

3. Jedster

Jedster Member

I think Harden is a leader in his own way too, but I'm curious about the reason for your choice though.

Since Harden is noncontroversial, let's say that if you were on a team with Kobe. If you wanted to talk to him, and he gave you the death glare or an attitude that you can't talk to him because you're too sucky (as with Smush Parker), how would you view him?
    Personally, I would respect his skills and determination to win, and put up with his rants and give him the ball at the end of games. But I wouldn't respect him as a person and would only let him lead me because I don't have the clout in the organization to outshine or out-influence him. So if I wanted a job, I would have to suck it up.

So yeah, Kobe would be a leader, but only because I'm forced by others to follow. I'm not saying Harden has the same character as Kobe, just that I feel being the best player on a team doesn't necessarily translate into the best leader.

4. Hail to the V

Hail to the V Member

The beautiful thing is Harden, Lin and Parsons all take a leadership role. It's when Delfino does it that things go to ****. :)

5. redearth

Interesting points Jedster.

And by the way, another 100 votes for Lin in the last few hours vs. about 5 for Harden... Lin has over 2,500 votes now, who are all these Rockets fans who believe Lin is the leader? If leadership is about being the fan favorite in this thread's poll, then Lin is the Rockets' leader!

Here's why Harden is the choice for me. Being a team leader is much more than about who I feel comfortable talking to. On a sports team, my experience is that many people lead in different ways, but when it comes down to the crunch, the question in my mind is who do I trust to get that ball across the goal line, into the net, or through the hoop. Harden is that man.

6. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

Just look at the chronicle. looks like Lin is the leader

7. disguyman

disguyman Member

This team has no leader, maybe Garcia can step up

8. Karolik

Karolik Member

The leader is obviously Mchale.

9. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

So this forum has about 2500 Jeremy Lin fans, about 1400 Houston Rockets fans? Yikes.

10. TheGoldenGreek

No argument from me on this point. It can be problematic at times. However, the fact still remains that players on the team defer to Harden, for better or worse, when the game is on the line and I believe that is the strongest indicator of who the leader is.

11. Pukimonster

Pukimonster Member

Harden would be the team leader, though I'm sure Parsons, Lin, and Delfino lead in their own way. You can tell by sound bites that hit the media. Harden apologizing the next day for not sharing the ball, Lin leading guys during a timeout, Parsons saying he could care less about the Lakers, etc.

You don't have to be the best player to lead though neither. Fisher was the lockeroom anchor when he was on the Lakers. Meanwhile I can't imagine Dwight leading anything. Same with DeMarcus Cousins

12. redearth

To me, Lin is like the Rudy Ruettiger of the NBA. Gotta love the kid's heart and backstory, but he's not the team leader.

13. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I consider it this way. If the leader says something, you better damn well pay attention. That would be Harden.

14. redearth

Yep, I agree, that would be Harden.

So why is it that the votes keep stacking up for Lin? Another 25 votes in the past hour... and none for Harden? How is this happening?

15. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

Being the floor leader isn't about who scores the most points (Harden)...obviously Harden is the biggest talent on this team, but Lin coordinates the offense, yells at people when they're in the wrong place, plays D, rebounds, etc.

Harden can lead you to the closest strip club though.

16. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

Harden is the leader because players have already said, "He's our leader". Lin is not a leader by any means. He is a great teammate, but not a leader.

17. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure you just made this up in your head

18. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

I'm pretty sure you speak as someone who has been a follower his entire life.

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Most likely Delfino.

Vet experience > talent

20. Random Fan

Random Fan Member

Harden obviously.