1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is the IDEAL role model for professional sports?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Lil Lee, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Lil Lee

Lil Lee Contributing Member

It's such a shame how disappointing of role models professional athletes have become? Tiger and Kobe among the greats with adultery; A-rod and company with the use of steroids; and etc.

So I write this post to curiously ask who in your eyes is the best role model of an athlete? By this I mean that's a very talented player yet again somebody you don't mind your kids looking up to.

For me at this point, I have to say Albert Pujols. The guy is crazy talented and looks like he has the ability to beat the all-time homerun record. Besides that, he's an all-around class act, great teammate to have, works hard, and is a good husband/father.

What do yall think?

2. spaceage808

spaceage808 Member

wrong section?

3. BrotherFish

BrotherFish Contributing Member

It's a toss-up between Yao and Shane. However, Rodman, Barkley and Tiger are nipping at their heels--but only literally.

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Shane Battier. Deke.

5. Lil Lee

Ok, instead of athlete, how about like superstar/HOF type player? I agree with Yao and Deke, but just wish Yao was more durable.

6. bloop

bloop Member

Whoever wins the most games?

You should have 1 criteria for judging athletes and it's how they perform on the field. These men are not Thomas Jefferson or Michelangelo, it's not like they are superior men with a range of talents, abilities, and virtues to admire. They are statistical freaks in singular narrow genetic ability that happens to coincide with a particular way we Americans like to watch a ball roll into a hole for entertainment purposes.

If basketball was never invented or if it were played on a 9 foot hoop, what use would Michael Jordan have been to this world? He'd probably be washing your car or bagging groceries.

I still dont understand what the big deal with Tiger Wood's. So he liked to nail white poon. If that's a crime lock up 95% of the NBA. The way I see it there's 3 possibilities for people to look at his infidelities:

1) if you loved him because he was a great golfer... guess what he's still a great golfer

2) if you loved him because he was a "great guy" what were you basing that on? that he is light skinned and talks like Obama? you never knew him all you knew was what you saw on TV. I guess if you're in this 2nd group you're disappointed but you're an idiot to begin with for idolizing a guy's personality when you didn't even know him

3) if you loved him because he was on commercials, was successful, widely admired and a black guy dominating white dudes in their own sports... and basically didn't know anything about golf (or care). and was using him as some sort of social or political surrogate then yeah I can see how once he isn't as popular or as admired then it hits you hard.

I for one still see the same dude who can win golf tournaments... the only time you should tell your kid to emulate an athlete is if he PLAYS the sport you're grooming your kid for. If that's the case and your kid is a golfer he should still try to be like Tiger

7. y2Joem

y2Joem Member

prehaps he's fishing for a battier response?

8. thegame_2234

thegame_2234 Contributing Member

Hakeem Olajuwon

9. MB20

MB20 Member

Tim Duncan.

10. HPD

HPD Member

Miguel i never got his last name... he is the sweeper near the lower bowl. he always has my section clean. even after i throw my empty beer cups and popcorn boxes

11. mi0304

mi0304 Member

who wanna sex with?

12. Lil Lee

Wow, how could I forget HAKEEM the DREAM? Def my bad!!

Good call!

13. Lil Lee

Yes, professional athletes are NOT anywhere near the greater minds of the past. However, they are making millions of dollars. Many are not the best influences on the youth; however, kids will still look up to them. That's why I'm asking this question who in your eyes is one of the more talented superstars but yet again still a positive influence on them.

Tiger was a great player. One of the better golfers all-time. He was very successful and didn't cheat in anyway. However he lost a lot of credibility for cheating in on his wife NUMEROUS times as well. Yes, there are lot of NBA players on that same boat, that's why I didn't even put a pro bball player on my list, except Hakeem.

14. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

Parents...

WTF.....

15. thegame_2234

thegame_2234 Contributing Member

without forget about Jeff Bagwell and Graig Biggio

16. acefan18

acefan18 Member

Peyton Manning hands down. He plays the game the right way, his dedication is superior to anyone I've ever seen, and most importantly he is a winner. Also if your into the whole doesn't cheat or do drugs thing he has that going for him as well. lol

17. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

Winning is all that matters to me.

18. pocketrocket81

Nolan Ryan would be my choice if we can go as far back as retired athletes.

If I had to choose an athlete from todays crowd it would have to be either Ladainian Tomlinson ( so want to see him get his super bowl ring before he retires). Or Adrian Peterson since I actually know Adrian well.He is from my hometown and he is such a good guy.

19. RyanB

RyanB Member

Hakeem Olajuwon

20. Rae

Rae Member

quite easily, David Robinson.