1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who Is The Better Receiver?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by SacTown, Sep 14, 2011.

?

Who Would You Take?

1. Calvin Johnson

55 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Larry Fitzgerald

11 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Andre Johnson

99 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. SacTown

SacTown Member

Poll. This freak of nature gets my vote:

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/J1QU1NN44_E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

1. Andre -> 2. Calvin ->3. Larry (has dropped off a bit)

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

AJ.

In two/three years, it'll be Fitzy.

Two/three years after that, it'll be Megatron.

4. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

Brandon Marshall... if he wasn't such a f*** up.

5. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

6. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Definitely Andre but if I need a score , Megatron gets my vote.... never was a big Fitzgerald fan....In 3/4 years , he's gonna be a nice posession reciever (somewhere between Keyshawn Johnson and Plaxico Burress)

7. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Take out the middle and i'm with you.

8. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

This is how I feel, it kind of relates to the Lebron - Kobe comparison,(about 3-4 years ago) Kobe is the best in the game but as soon as he leaves his prime, Lebron will take reigns. Kobe being 'Dre, 'Bron being Calvin, and D Wade being Fitz.

9. DonnyMost

AJ = 30

Fitz = 28

CJ = 25

It makes sense on a time-wise thing. (Plus when you think about their QB/team situations)

The only thing that spooks me about Fitz is that he has never put up herculean numbers without a HOFer chucking him the rock.

This pairing with Kolb will determine the rest of his legacy.

10. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I just feel Andre is going to be like Jerry Rice - age like a fine wine and be productive well into his late 30's. I want to see what Fitz does this year with Kolb (go coogs).

Megatron is a beast - an absolute beast.

11. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Very tough call... all three are awesome, but I'd narrow it down to Calvin Johnson and Andre Johnson. Not sure Megatron does what you see Andre do at the 1:14 mark.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ho5lr87opno" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

I still give Andre the edge b/c of his body of work, and his ridiculous consistency.

Calvin Johnson will go at the #1 receiver spot this year though. He got off to a great start, and there's nobody else better around the red zone for a TD. The guy can jump up to get anything, if you saw the first game v. the Bucs.

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Wouldn't we all trade AJ or Fitzgerald for Johnson right now, though, given age?

I continue to wave the TD flag at AJ; never more than 10 in a season, which is really hard to believe, given no other receiver in football is targeted as often as he is. His current total of 51? CJ's current pace would put him at 69. Fitzgerald has 65 in seven fewer games. For AJ to equal Randy Moss' 153 career TDs, he'd have to play in roughly 345 games, or 22 years of 16 starts.

I think when the dust settles, assuming all 3 don't fall off a cliff, production-wise.......... (moving into the room full of eggshells) that CJ and Fitz will be seen at a level ever-so slightly ahead of AJ. UNLESS, AJ goes beserker with TDs and/or is a key driving force of at least one championship.

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

When he turned 30, Rice posted 10 TDs. In the three subsequent years, he went for 15, 13, 15. So in a 4-year stretch, after turning 30, Rice bettered Johnson's current career TD total.

He may age like Rice... but he ain't Jerry Rice. No one is.

(I know that wasn't necessarily your point (Rice v. AJ) - I just wanted to point out how uniquely great Jerry Rice was. My goodness, that guy was incredible.)

15. SacTown

SacTown Member

I think so, yes. It's a really tough call because you really can't go wrong with any of these 3 guys right now, but for me if I need a redzone TD, I just throw it up to Calvin Johnson and he goes and gets it.

Think of it this way as a competition. Put AJ, Calvin, and Fitz in a competition all standing at the goal line and throw 10 jump balls to them and who catches the majority of them?

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm not sure any WR does what he did on that play. That is probably in my top 5 plays of all time...up there with Earl Campbell's run against the Rams. It was just shear awesomeness.

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Fitzgerald is probably the best at route running and catching balls, and he's durable. Only 4 missed games his entire career. His playoff stretch in 2009 was the best in NFL history, including Rice. And lets just not go down the ignorant "he's had better QB play than Andre" because Andre has had Schaub for more games now than Larry had Kurt Warner. Josh McCown, Matt Leinart, Max Hall, Derek Anderson, yeah thats every bit as craptastic as David Carr.

Andre is obviously the total package, really not much he isn't damn good at. Whether it is route running, beating his man, or out-jumping the DB for the ball. His strength and speed combo is TO esque. But he is not as durable as Rice because Rice was a freak of nature who took care of his body like none other, I don't see him playing at an all-pro high level past the age of 36, and its ridiculous to expect otherwise.

Megatron can out-jump anyone. The fade route with a properly placed throw is unstoppable. He's basically right up there with Moss/TO as athletic freaks. If Stafford stays relatively healthy, in 2-3 years he'll be the unquestioned #1.

1 person likes this.
  18. DonnyMost

Fitz games w/ Warner: 61

Fitz games w/o Warner: 48

AJ games w/ Schaub: 55

AJ games w/o Schaub: 61

19. SacTown

SacTown Member

DonnyMost - Do you agree/disagree that Fitz's playoff stretch in 2009 was probably the best in NFL history?

20. DonnyMost

Hell yeah. That was insane.

We need to get AJ in the playoffs to find out what he can do.