1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is the better QB prospect - Vince Young or Matt Leinart?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by IC2000, Nov 28, 2005.

?

Who is the better prospect?

1. Vince Young

131 vote(s)
    52.2%
  2. Matt Leinart

120 vote(s)
    47.8%
  1. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

You have no credibility whatsoever.

2. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i am. the #1 rated passer in the nation who is probably the best running qb in the nation (#1 in yds/attempt for qb's) who is the unquestioned leader of an undefeated team, should win the heisman.

but hey, peyton manning got one stolen from him so i guess vince can, too.

3. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Screw the Heisman, if Vince don't win it'll just mean he'll be a better pro QB.

4. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

Any other year he would have won but president bush should definitely win

5. micah1j

micah1j Member

So does this mean your 180 is complete on VY?

6. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

its getting close, i think he is a great college player. Still dont think he is better than leinart though

7. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

What was it that started changing your mind? (Honest Question)

8. hoang17

hoang17 Contributing Member

I don't think the majority ever said he was better than leinart. It's definitely (in my mind) comparing apples and oranges. Leinart is a traditional drop back QB while Vince is a dual threat QB. How that translates to the pro game has yet to be seen but for the college game, the dual threat QB has increasingly become the choice.

I would bet that leinart will be a great pro-QB (very simiiar to Carson Palmer) but I also think that Vince will too. He won't have the same effects as Vick but I think that he will get better as a passer and will be in the Randall Cunningham/Steve McNair mold.

9. superden

superden Contributing Member

i watched almost every single game that vince played in, either in the stands or on tv (except for maybe a couple games...like the one against mizzou bc i was watching game 3 against the cards a couple seasons back). his throwing was horrible the first season and half, but this year there was a drastic improvement. he has become more patience, sits in the pocket more, and tries to find the open receiver. he is also also a threat with his legs like yall know as well. he doesnt zip the ball often, but he can and ive seen it before as well. i think reciever are open so often because the other team has to worry about vince running the ball. the lbs have to be concerned with that, espcically when he breaks the pocket, yet vince is able to break that pocket and still find the open man. vince throws to the open man because he creates the open man with his legs. i have also watch leinart play a few games this yr and i must say i wasnt all too impressed. i think maybe i just caught the wrong games, like the notre dame game (his passing was all too great, he did have a good drive the last couple minutes), the ucla game (he was just flat out missing open recievers), and a couple more. it is hard for me to say that he is that much better than vince since he has slipped a tad from last yr. i think if vince stays another year and work on his throwing some more, he will at the very least a decent qb in the nfl.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Both of those guys were better than Vick has been.

11. hoang17

hoang17 Contributing Member

What I meant when I referred to Vick was the impact that Vick has on the game with his legs. I definitely don't see Vince breaking the pocket very often running for 30-40 yards. I see him using his speed to pick up 7-8 yards for first downs instead. His frame (6-5) and his weight (233) is such a bigger target at the pro-level that it's so much more vulnerable to be hit than it is in the college game.

12. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sort of off topic, but how many teams would these guys improve? The NFL quarterback situation is so pathetic right now, I think they would improve 50%+ of the teams in the NFL.

13. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

meanwhile. cutler is expected to be the 2nd qb taken.

he shall surprise some of you .

14. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Just saw an interview with Vince on ESPN about the Heisman...look at some of the things Young was saying (I'm paraphrasing):

'I hope they see that most of my numbers are only in the first half'

'If I played a full game the stats would be there'

IMO, that is not what I want from my quarterback, at least in the NFL. I'm not a VY hater by any means, and I think he'll make a great pro, but I think Leinart is more of a winner. I'm just not sure Vince has what it takes mentally to really be a great winner in the NFL, whereas Leinart does. I'd rather see my quarterback talking about bigger things, like a championship, rather than an individual award.

I do realize I'm probably looking too far into this, but his statements bothered me. Oh, and another QB who I think is going to excel in the NFL is Omar Jacobs from Bowling Green. He's a faster version of Leftwich, and probably has a better arm.

15. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

As for the question at hand....

I guess Leinart is the safer pick for sure..

16. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Same interview...

Q: Do you wish the Heisman was awarded after the Rose Bowl, since the top three players are all expected to be playing in that game??

A: Not really. I want to get it out of the way. I'm tired of hearing about it.

17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Well, at least he's telling the truth, VY barely played in the 2nd half in over half of the games this season.

But I wouldn't put too much into like you said, he's been saying the right things all season long, I think it's fair to state your case at least once. The main thing is that he never complains when he is taken out of games, he could have thrown for 400 yards and ran fro 150 more against Co last week, but had no problem coming out after the 1st series in the 2nd half.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

So, you're upset that he gave an answer about the Heisman trophy when he was asked a question about the Heisman trophy?

19. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Not really upset I don't think...if he were my QB I'd rather him answer with something similar to this:

'Winning the Heisman would be an honor with the talent out there right now, but I'm more concerned about winning a championship right now'

Like I said, his comments aren't that big of a deal...but if you would've asked Leinart the same question, I doubt you would've gotten 'if I would have played in the second half all year my stats would be better'. Leave it to us and the media to argue about stats...

and while we're talking about stats, the same argument about not playing in the second half can pretty much be made for Leinart and Bush as well.

20. Bassfly

Bassfly Member