1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is the better QB prospect - Vince Young or Matt Leinart?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by IC2000, Nov 28, 2005.

?

Who is the better prospect?

1. Vince Young

131 vote(s)
    52.2%
  2. Matt Leinart

120 vote(s)
    47.8%
  1. The Ming Dynasty

The Ming Dynasty Contributing Member

2. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Tsk, tsk. I never said Young was better than Leinart. I was defending Young's passing ability, which has been dragged through the mud by the haters with absolutely no factual basis as support.

BTW, McNeal has 24 passes for 20 yards or more this season (in one less game).

EDIT: D'oh! I meant McNeal.

#82 VesceySux, Nov 29, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2005
  3. The Ming Dynasty

The Ming Dynasty Contributing Member

Oh, that's a fair assessment. :rolleyes: While we're at it why don't we compare David Carr vs. Peyton Manning. Get a life! :confused:

Hey, the bottom line is VY was outplayed by a redshirt freshman, Stephen McGee. I only hope that if VY comes back, like he says he will, that his team is anniliated by Stephen and Co.

Gig'Em :D

4. VesceySux

Hey, IC2000 claimed McNeal was better than Young. I'm just throwing that number out there. *shrug*

5. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

An Aggie who thinks VY is overrated?

[​IMG]

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Actually, that's 1 NC and a Heisman, not sure why you keep on adding another, LSU won the NC, USC won the RoseBowl just like Texas did last season.

But of course, Leinart must be the much better player since he gets more exposure on Sports Center right Bigtexx?

Once again, trying to spin words to make every poster that likes VY a homer. The fact is that Young is the 3rd highest QB in terms of rating and is completing 63% of his passes, his team is 11-0 and headed for the RoseBowl. While Leinart is obviously the better passer, it's hard saying who is the better QB since they are so different.

Bottom line is that ya'll lost and have lost to us 6 times in a row. I just can't believe there are Aggs out there still trying to talk trash. 5-6, no Bowl, got an unbelievable beat down from Iowa St. and your coach made the absolute worst mistake of the entire season on the first game.

Don't know why they still call this matchup a rivalry. 107 games played: 73 wins for the Horns, 34 for the Aggs, sounds like something else to me.

McGee looked good out there, I will admit that. But as bad as we played, we still beat ya'll by 11 points.

7. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

Does this include RAC? Of course not!

8. IC2000

Mcneals receivers play with one hand, and one leg

9. KAS13

KAS13 Contributing Member

BS, those guys don't have hands.

10. DKAIII

DKAIII Contributing Member

Actually, it's because he does have two national championships. USC won the national championship for the 2003 season, LSU (#2) beat Oklahoma to win the BCS title game. It's really not USC's fault that the number one team in the nation was excluded from the opportunity to beat one of those two teams.

Also, there is a pretty good chance that if USC wins the Rose Bowl this year, Leinart will be considered the greatest college quarterback of all time.

Young is an outstanding ball player, but right now he is not on the same level as Leinart. If the national championship game is played between USC & UT and the Longhorns win, then there can be a pretty good argument made on Young's behalf, but right now, no.

#90 DKAIII, Nov 30, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2005
  11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i disagree entirely. the rules are the rules. they all sign off to play under the BCS system. they said that the BCS rankings would determine their national champion. and according to those rules, it did....and LSU was the champion.

12. DKAIII

The rules are the rules, that is why the coaches poll had to change their votes to LSU, the AP was under no such obligation & hence, did not. The BCS was created to match the number one ranked team in the nation against the number two, that one particular year, it did not. The number one team did not play in the BCS championship game. That team did not lose the Rose Bowl and remained number one, the national champs.

13. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Let us remember that the system was designed to get rid of human bias which I'm sure is the reason USC was in the #1 position that year. It's not like they were undefeated that year.

14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

So they didn't play in the Championship game, they didn't get the trophy, and it still counts as a NC?

So what does that make LSU?

15. Major

Major Member

Until there's a playoff, the national championship is decided by whomever is at the top of the polls at the end of the season. The BCS didn't change that - it had one purpose: bring the top two teams together. The Coaches agreed to make the winner of that game the #1 team in their poll. Note that the poll is still the important part. It isn't that the winner of the game was the national champ - it's that the winner of the game gets the #1 spot in the poll.

The AP had no such affiliation. So as has happened many times before - Texas included - teams claim national titles when they win at least one of the polls. USC and LSU split the national title 2 years ago just as Michigan and Nebraska did in 1997 (?). They both can and will claim a national title that year. It's the unfortunate way its done without a playoff and official national title.

16. DKAIII

As I stated earlier, the point of the system was not to get rid of human bias, the point of the system was to get the top two teams to play in a game to determine who the best team in the nation was. The system failed that year. Also, it's not like LSU was undefeated that year either.

Yep. Major is exactly right.

17. VesceySux

Ah, yes, the predictable response. Well, they don't seem to record YAC or Y@C stats in college. So, let's take my stats a step further and remove all passes 20 yards or more to all running backs, as they are most likely not catching the ball 20 yards or more downfield. Here, now, are the new totals:

Leinart - 31 passes (8 of the 39 went to RBs)
    Young - 38 passes (10 of the 48 went to RBs)

So, 13.3% of Leinart's passes to WRs were for over 20 yards or more, and 22.6% of Young's passes to WRs were for over 20 yards or more.

18. Major

Major Member

Apparently, only Vince's receivers run after the catch.

19. IC2000

Still we don't know much about what these throws were, i am tired of arguing about this...But this is a meaningless stat because we don't know the difficulty level of the pass. I know lots of Vince's throws are like 15 to 20 yards to streaking wide open receivers.

20. 03TxAg

03TxAg Member

Wow. I'm speechless.