1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is the better QB prospect - Vince Young or Matt Leinart?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by IC2000, Nov 28, 2005.

?

Who is the better prospect?

1. Vince Young

131 vote(s)
    52.2%
  2. Matt Leinart

120 vote(s)
    47.8%
  1. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I a gradiut of Blinn. Does dat kount?

2. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

But, but, but....Where's Reggie?

Quit melting, Nancy. If a little sarcasm on a message board riles you up so much you should be bathing in Xanax instead of tomato sauce.

[​IMG]

3. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

To answer your question, Reggie Bush is probably polishing his Heisman Trophy.

4. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

I think that's KAS13's truck to the right.

5. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Sorry for the confusion, but I was speaking of Mr. McNeal. The same Mr. McNeal that's been busy polishing his teammates girlfriend.

6. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

He does what he can to help the team. If his teammates were not performing then he stepped right in for them. He is a great Team/ character guy!

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I never said it is a necessity for a QB to be able to run, once again, trying to spin people's words Bigtexx?

I'm just saying that Vince has the chance to improve his passing a lot before entering the NFL, and if you add that along with his running skills, he could be a great player.

8. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Carson Palmer is not that good, remember Jon Kitna had an MVP type season with the talent on the Bengal's offense. It's just that now they're good on defense too so they're winning more, but I bet they lose ugly in the playoffs.

As far as the question goes, I voted for Matt Lienart but that isn't a knock on Vince Young, he's just better as a passer than Vince is as a passer/runner.

Unlike Vick, Young is not a short 6' and fragile, IMO Vick's main problem passing the ball is that he can't see over people, his throwing strength and accuracy and ability to read defenses is fine. Young won't have any problems seeing the field since he's a tall 6'5", and it usually takes more than one guy to bring him down so apparently he's not made of glass, but does he have the accuracy and can he read defenses? Who knows right now, since Texas is extremely talented he doesn't really need to read defenses, just pick a guy out before the play and he's good enough to be open 75% of the time, all he has to do is make the pass.

In the big picture I think a quarterback like Vick and Young will eventually win a Super Bowl in the NFL, right now the odds against it are huge since Vick is the only one out there but eventually it will happen against the odds.

Off topic but did anyone else notice this? Vick #7, Carr #8, Palmer #9, Manning #10, and Smith #11, picked in 2001, 02, 03, 04, and 05. :eek:

9. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Prospect isn't the right word, IMO, but for QB, its ML...For the best all around athlete, its VY...

Hell, if the Texans had to choose, I'd hope they'd pick VY as you can always use an athlete...In theory, they already have a QB...I have a feeling though that VY will want to be a QB in the NFL, which some may argue against, however, there will be a team that will let him grow...

10. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Wow, are you really trying to get yourself booted from here? If those quotes in LongHornFan's sig were really said by you, then I'm surprised you're even still here.

11. KAS13

KAS13 Contributing Member

Young's game is nothing like Vicks. The only similarity they have is that they both have the ability to scramble but they even do that differently. Two completely different players.

12. KAS13

Yeah it is, your wife bought it for me. She offered to do better but with the minimum wage salary she makes at Kinko's I didn't want her to over extend herself for my birthday. It was really cool of her to pick up Pizza for all of us that day. Tell her thanks for me when you get home. How are my....oops..your kids doing?

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

am i misreading you?? are you saying that vick is a better QB than palmer right now??

14. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

That means the number one pick will have #12 this year?

15. KAS13

In all honesty, I think they are letting this thread go. Too many people talking trash, you would have to boot a lot of people. For example, I had nothing to do with this thread (except I am of the opinion Leinart is better but I had not posted) yet someone chose to take a shot at me in this thread. Now, my shot back was much worse but does it really matter? I didn't pay attention to what IC2000 said that got sig'd by LongHornFan but there are way too many insults flying around here to start banning people (unless you're going to take a whole group out). I though we got this cleared up in the last thread but yet I had to come to this one to see someone talking trash.

16. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apparently. :confused:

17. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Who? Who's talking trash?

#37 RIET, Nov 29, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2005
  18. Major

Major Member

You asked three seperate questions in this thread:

Who is a better QB?

Who has the better future?

Who is the better prospect?

I would argue they are equally good QB's right now, each with his own way of winning in college, and both with the intangibles to know how to win.

I would guess Leinart is more likely to have the better future, because he's more of a sure thing - he's a year closer to the NFL, so we can project what he will be better. He functions in a more traditional, NFL-style offense, so both his learning curve and his team's adjustment to him will be easier. Vince has to still learn to be a better passer to function in the NFL game and you never know if an offense can properly use him - it will take a creative coordinator.

I would argue that Vince is the better prospect. If he does continue to improve his passing and can be integrated into an offense designed around him, he'll be able to do things on the field that Leinart never will. If he can be half the threat Vick is running, that makes the passing game that much easier. So I think as far as upside goes, Vince has more.

Don't have any clue how to vote in this thread.

19. KAS13

A lot of people have. The dude said that was my truck next to IC2000's for absolutely no reason. I wasn't even in this thread. You have to go back to the other thread but we resolved it over there. Come on dude, look around here, many of these posts can be interperted as trash talk.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Vince Young is a higher rated passer than Lienart. It kills me that some of you question this guys passing ability or his ability to make pro throws. everyone goes crazy after the A&M game like that game wrecked his pro prospects. when a bad game for you is 13/24 1 td 1 int, you must be pretty good.

Not arguing that Young is the better pro prospect, but if you are questioning whether he is going to play QB in the NFL, you're in denial.

edit: and if you look at the other guys in the top of the qb ratings, all of them are running pro offenses. I get the feeling from this thread that folks think because he's running the offense he is, it helps his rating. but that doesn't hold true for the rest of the rankings.

#40 pgabriel, Nov 29, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2005