1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is the Best Power Forward in the 2001 Draft?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Mango, Nov 13, 2000.

1. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Mo leaves me unimpressed and should move on next summer.

KT will always be short and Carlos is in the doghouse.

Who is considered the best power forward coming out in 2001 that fits the qualifications listed below?

good hops
    6'9" minimum
    245 minimum
    ferocious attitude on the boards
    at least average on defense

An outside shot is not as important as the ability to finish around the basket in traffic.

Hoping for a young Kemp or a Webber type, but will settle for any improvement over Mo.

Mango

------------------
    Test Your NBA Trade Ideas
    1. Put new topics in the proper forum.
    Things happening in the rest of the NBA
    2. Use clear wording for new threads.
    3. No duplicate threads
    4. Conduct yourself as an adult.
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Donate Blood or be assimilated!

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited November 12, 2000).]

2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This draft isn't really PF heavy, mainly C-SF types.

If you consider Curry (6'10'' 285 or so) a PF, he'd be a name.

Boozer (6'9'', 270?) could be nice, but Dookies rarely come out early.

Troy Murphy (6'10'' Junior from Notre Dame, decent outside shot, most compared from what I've seen to a Tom Gugliotta) and Drew Gooden (listed between 6'9'' and 6'11'' but around 230) are also big name prospects.

------------------
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

3. Mango

Thanks NIKEstrad,

Curry will be gone unless the Rockets figure out how to really move up in the draft.

No Googs types, need somebody more physical.

Anybody late first round that would be a rotation player that could play some Center with Collier on the floor to spread the defnse? Rebounding and defense to shut the other team down.

Mango

------------------
    3. No duplicate threads

4. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

I'll take a crack at this one, with the help of Brett from draftsource.net

I realize Boozer has been mentioned. Joe Johnson perhaps, but I don't think he's a PF...Nobody really comes to mind in college, perhaps later in the season I will have noticed more and I'll keep u up to date.

From the high school ranks that might jump, those who could fit the description are curry, chandler, diop, brown. Diop is 7 feet almost 300 lbs., Curry obviously does, chandler is 7 feet but 225 lbs. Kwame Brown fits the description to a tee.

Hope this helps...visit draftsource.net sometimes as we are starting the new season again.

------------------
    Draftsource.net

5. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Your saying Googs isn't physical? [​IMG]

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

6. MManal

MManal Member

If you want physical type players that are animals around the glass, the two guys that come to mind are Carlos Boozer and Zach Randolph. Randolph is just a freshman, and I want to get a good look at him this yr, but he looked very good in the McDonald's Game. He seemed to be a very good rebounder, big physical wide body. I'll keep everyone updated on him as I get to see him more. Carlos Boozer is very very good around the glass. He is an excellent rebounder and post player with a good set of hands.

This is just an early look and sleepers could emerge as they usually do during the yr. Brian Cook on Illinois is one to watch as a sleeper candidate.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

7. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

The problem with all of these names mentioned is that unless the Rockets, or the players themselves, embark on a world-class suckfest, none of them will be wearing the ugliest uniform in the NBA anytime soon.

------------------
    Who would've thought Don Nelson would pass up Olumide Oyedeji not once, not twice, but thrice?

8. Mango

There can only be so many players in the lottery and the rest will fall to the teams that made the playoffs.

That brings up a related question.

How many players deep is tier 1 (elite players) going to be in the 2001 draft? Tier 2 (almost elite)? Projecting that the Rockets are in the playoffs (#4 seed?), would they still be able to draft in the end of the Tier 2 pool of talent?

Mango

------------------
    3. No duplicate threads

9. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

One more name to mention is Eddie Griffin-6'9'' 220, but I've heard he's boosted that up. He's a freshmen, and some considered him better than Miles and Wallace. He's trying to improve his SF skills, so he may not end up a PF, but can be a nasty shot blocker.

------------------
    Shandon is underrated.

10. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Mango :
    If 75% - 90% of the players speculated to go early do go early, then the tier one talent might be 10 - 12 players deep. Assuming that the Rockets end up with two mid-first rounders(ours and the Bucks), then they would fall smack dab in the middle to end of that teir two talent. Provided of course that enough underclassmen enter the draft to push it back that far.

Now the problem comes when you look at that talent, the only big men who would fall to the Rockets will be projects(like Gadzuric), or people that no one expected to be drafted that high(Collier for example) or future one-dimensional role-players(Ken Johnson, a terrific shot-blocker).

Of course, its not out of the real of possibility that a really good low-post player might slip to the Rockets after having a dissapointing season, or sucking it up during the pre-draft camps.

A name to watch - Michael Wright out of 'Zona. Tough rebounder, good moves around the basket. But then again the only game I've seen him in this year was against Chaminade so that's not much to go one. He might get lost in all the talent coming out early and slip to the Rockets.

------------------
    Who would've thought Don Nelson would pass up Olumide Oyedeji not once, not twice, but thrice?

[This message has been edited by Puedlfor (edited November 22, 2000).]

11. MManal

MManal Member

Puedelfor, it is way too early to say how many tier 1 and tier 2 guys there will be. In college, players games develop and change so quickly that what we project today can be very different come draft time.

Take for example last season. In November of last yr, the projected top picks were Chris Porter, Erick Barkley, Michael Redd, Scoonie Penn, etc. Kenyon Martin was projected around mid 1st rd and Stromile Swift was a major question mark picked around the early 20s. Darius Miles, people were unsure about but no one thought he would move all the way up to third overall. Marcus Fizer was no where to be seen last November and emerged during the yr. Mihm, Moiso and Miller were common knowledge basically from what I remember tho.

What you hear now and what you hear in June will likely be very different. There is already a tough hard nosed PF emerging in Brian Cook that I am going to post about in another thread.

------------------

Draftsource.net

12. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

speaking of chris porter, where did he go and does anyone think the can become a good role player/6th man in the league?

Also is jason capel NBA material?

13. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

I saw a little of Arizona yesterday, and Michael Wright looked like a man among boys, I see him listed at just 6'7'' though. A monster on the glass. Not highly developed in the post, but strong enough to get inside. I can't remember the team they were playing, I want to say Illinois (maybe I saw them in a different game). Cook didn't look like "the man" on offense, nice on D though.

Capel isn't thought of as an NBA type of player, but you never know. Fizer used to be a nobody.

------------------
    Shandon is underrated.

14. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Capel is more of a guard type of player. 6-8, good hops, shot, leadership. I might just be a softie to UNC though(some of my family's alma matter), but i think a team like san antonio that needs a guard presence off the bench might bite.

15. MManal

MManal Member

I wonder a lot whether Michael Wright has NBA potential. If Wright were 2-3 inches taller, he'd be a shoe in to have solid NBA potential. Wright is build very much like Rodney Rogers, a bulky 6-7 player, but he does not have inside-outside game Rogers possesses. I had a good look at Wright last season and saw him in the preseason NIT this yr but all he does is go inside and post up. I have not really seen any development of a perimeter game which I think will hurt his NBA potential.

------------------

Draftsource.net