1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is the best PF dunker of all time?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JLOBABYDADDY, Aug 16, 2012.

Tags:
?

Who was the best (Electrifying) dunker at the 4?

1. Shawn Kemp

72.3%
  2. Blake Griffin

20.2%
  3. Sir Charles

2.4%
  4. Other

5.1%
  1. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

I think it goes Kemp then Blake/Amare.

I think people here are hating on Blake because of his overall game, but Blake has already in his first few season already put a lot of amazing dunks on the reel that compare to Kemp's. I can't find the video but I remember Davis threw him an alley oop from half court once and Blake was at the three point line, took two steps, jumped and dunked it without hardly any way of knowing exactly where the rim was. One of the most impressive dunks I have ever seen that never gets footage.

Honorable Mentions: Larry Nance, Kevin Garnett, LeBron James (I know he doesn't really have a position so he at least gets honorable mention!), Connie Hawkins

2. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

Shawn Kemp but I was surprised no one mentioned Tom Chambers.

1 person likes this.
  3. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

In no particular order: Kemp, Amare, Griffin, and Pops Mensah-Bonsu.

Don't sleep on Pops. His dunks start at 1:02 in the video:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uzHNa1QHR8I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. Asian Sensation

5. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I gave Chuck a pity vote, but Kemp.

That said, there was nothing quite like seeing Charles grab a rebound and go coast-to-coast with a full head of steam.

6. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Shawn Kemp by far. He finished plays that looked like they were going to be spectacular layup attempts with dunks. Up and under for a reverse layup? Naw man, up and under for a one handed reverse dunk.

7. psingh34

psingh34 Member

i vote kemp for one reason. Kemp i think was more creative with his dunks, whereas griffin (while being verry impressive) has basically one kind of dunk where he elevates over everyone else. Kemp did a lot more reverses etc

8. Chuck04

Chuck04 Member

Without a doubt Kemp. It's funny looking at his top ten dunks and I'm sure half of them he would be called for a 'T' in today's game with his post dunk celebrations.

9. amaru

amaru Member

Especially the pointing LOL

10. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I'll just leave this here.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OlAuCLFqjmY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Tom Chambers and it's not even close considering he's white. I've seen brothers doing all kinds of crazy stuff in the hood (power dunks ala Amare and Kemp, yawn) but to see Chambers majestically soaring through the air like a white eagle ascending to the heavens is not only an inspiration, but a reminder that Jesus exists.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GGavLNemp8Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Chambers had possibly the greatest dunk I've ever watched live. I've still never seen someone get that much elevation. One step in from the free-throw line, eye-level with the rim. Sick.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1gxRBoYL1Go" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#32 BetterThanI, Aug 17, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  13. rednation98

rednation98 Member

14. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

No love for Josh Smith?

Also, Larry Nance is worth a mention here.

Poll is LOLworthy with the options presented!

I'd say Kemp is far away the best PF dunker, but there are some other guys who could've got a mention!

15. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I voted for Kemp since he is the best in-game dunking PF of all time.

That being said, many people underrate Blake Griffin as a dunker because of other flaws in his game. But if you look at just his dunking ability he does rank among the best ever. Not as good as Kemp, but he is close.

16. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Blake gets 15-20% more coverage than even from Kemp's era to REALLY accentuate his package of dunks. I'm not saying there's "lost archives" of Kemp's games, I'm sure his best dunks are accounted for. Kemp did come up in the ESPN era. But Youtube, digital HD video and DVR from the beginning of Blake's career, you can see ALL his dunks and give it more highlight treatment. Even his practice dunks get shown. There's no converting VHS tapes for Blake.

On the positive side, whatever criticisms there are of Blake's game, usually you still have to be GOOD to get some top honors. So what if Blake uses his explosion to his advantage when he does it better than anyone else. So in a way his game gets acknowledged through his dunk praise.

Conversely, everyone knows Stromile Swift is a top 5 dunker, better than Garnett. But his sucky bust career doesnt earn him any props. Stromile would get one highlight for two weeks and nothing else. Blake can pour in another 25 points on top of the highlight.

#36 Shroopy2, Aug 17, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

18. underrated015

underrated015 Member

miss playing games in seattle. love beating teams in utah n seattle. crazy crowds. kemp was beast btw.

19. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

Shawn Kemp
    Amare S.
    Kenny Walker

20. Shaud

Shaud Member

Don't know if this is a joke or not but this is an underrated pick. Sure he sucked as a player but he had some insane dunks.