1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is the back up SG?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mockster, Oct 7, 2015.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Ty- 27 Bev-21
    Harden 32 Bev-6 Thornton-5 KJ-5
    Ariza-27 Brewer-20 Dekker 1
    Jones- 24 DMo-19 Harrell -5
    Dwight-30 Capela - 11 DMo 5

Terry likely won't play much, mostly in case of injury or foul trouble.

But don't be surprised to see harden at the 3 too.. Ty/Bev/Harden/Ariza/Dwight

2. OTMax

OTMax Member

Feigen provided the answer and does not expect anyone outside of Brewer & Beverley. If there is, it's Thorton right now.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Brewer yes, Beverely no. He should not be playing at the 2 guard spot.

4. OTMax

OTMax Member

He will.

5. hakeemthagreat

Thornton for offensive purposes. KJ for defense

If my choice its Thornton. He's more clutch & can get hot in a second

6. Fantasma Negro

Brew in the second qt, Thornton in the fourth and KJ when it's a blow out

7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

he will be guarding the opponent's PG

but im pretty sure even you rather him play the role of an off guard when he's playing with either harden or lawson who will be olaymaking/distributing the ball

8. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Jones Capela Bev Brew Thornton will be the bench squad. Nobody else will play.

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

His defense has regressed. Beverely will need to improve on it, in order to defend off guards. I think Brewer should be the first choice as a backup 2, followed by KJ.

10. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Based on McHales preseason rotations (when healthy) the regular rotation wing players will be

Lawson
    Beverly
    Harden
    Thornton
    Ariza
    Brewer

I know Feigan ignored Thornton but I don't think McHale will. His 3pt shooting has been outstanding and offensively speaking he is a perfect rotation compliment to either Harden or Lawson. His spot up 3pt shooting is so good that defenses can not afford to double off of him when the ball is in either James or Ty's hands. So I will believe Feigan when the season starts and Thornton is not getting any time. Until then, I am convinced he is firmly in the rotation.

How many minutes he gets vs Brewer at the 2 could depend on the type of game the Rockets are playing. If it's an up tempo fast paced with not a lot of half court sets then Maybe he doesn't get a ton of minutes that game. But if when we find ourselves in a half court game with a team like Memphis, I could see Thornton getting most of the minutes behind Harden. Regardless of who gets minutes behind James, Brewer will still get plenty of minutes behind Ariza. After all, does anyone wan't to see Trevor forced to play so many minutes this season like he did last season? I know I don't.

#50 crash5179, Oct 18, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2015