1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is Rockets MVP so far?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by stra, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

Tracy and Yao both deserve the nod to be MVP of this Rockets team.

Scola, Landry, Battier also deserves much recognition.
    The improvement that Alston has made.
    The superb coaching of Adelman.
    Morey's restless moves to improve the team.
    Even ageless Mutumbo stepping up huge to fill in the void left by Yao.

Bottom line, discussion such as this only will develop a rift in our amazing streak. Lets not worry too much about who's better than who, who's team this is, who's to blame, who's to praise. Just enjoy the Rockets.

2. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

It is harder for Centers to create for others but i could rattle of many Centers who were better at gaining position quickly getting the easy pass and then running the offense. Its not about assists. Its about running the show.

The Dream, Shaq, Duncan, Kareem...

Those centers ran the offense through them. The rockets offense is ran through mcgrady because he is better at getting others involved. Yao takes awhile to gain good position and is more of the finisher than the creator.

3. alibaba3876

alibaba3876 Member

o ,my godness ,

seriously ,i have to repeat my point of this thread again

in my opinion, adelman or moray is mvp

i love Yao more than Tmac ,i confess it.
    but they 're not the mvp

at least in this season

4. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Mt. Mutombo!

5. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Deke is the finger(not in my house), Chuck is the rear end (cause he's always on it), Luis is the eyes (he sees every loose ball)

happy?

6. marciagong

marciagong Member

Too bad that MVP is for players NOT coaches or managers. :rolleyes:

7. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Did you know that mvp is actually an abbreviation M.V.P. for most valuable player?

Even though this is hypothetical the general manager and coaches cannot be considered. Every good team has good coaching and GM'ing.

8. alibaba3876

alibaba3876 Member

Yao is a good center ,i think there's no doubt

when a good center is there ,we lost the game to celtics

what will we perform without him ???

landry ?? we know that he just recover from injury

harris ?? new guy from CBA ,what do u think ??

scola ?? i think he is the best center now in Rockets ,but to KG,he is not good enough, (no offense )

9. zzblack

zzblack Member

I think our Most Important Player has always been Rafer Alston. When he plays well we usually win. This year you could also add Scola/Landry to the MIP short list, as we finally have some offensive production from the power forward spot.

To me, though, MVP is different. I think both Yao and Tracy have been our MVPs this season...

Yao was very clearly our MVP until the last 20 or so games. Tracy never really gets going until after the all star break, and this season was no exception. Additionally, we didn't have a set rotation, and none of our role players could hit an outside shot to save their lives when the season started. During that period Yao absolutely carried us.

Don't forget that the Rockets have now won not only 22 in a row, but 26 of 27 and 31 of 34. At the beginning of this extended winning period, Tracy wasn't even playing. We beat the Golden State without him, and the Spurs with him coming off the bench. The last game we lost was to Utah when our then-MVP Yao was out with the flu.

Once Tracy got healthy again and acclimated to the winning ways the Rockets had established without him, he started to take over for Yao as team MVP. We always needed him to be our closer, but he started to play more efficiently and to play within the flow of the offense. It was beautiful to watch both Yao and Tracy destroy the Hornets in New Orleans together... that game shows how amazing this team would be if Yao were still playing.

Now Tracy is clearly the MVP. It started several games before Yao went out for the season, and has been even more pronounced since. Yes, we won with Tracy having an off game against a Pau-less Lakers, but we still needed him on the floor to orchestrate things. We've also relied on him to have some heroic performances to pull out a win in other games without Yao. You can't really ask a player to do any more than Tracy's done since he got healthy again.

10. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Who cares about MVP? We have the MVT- Most Valuable Team.

11. MYM[Moon

MYM[Moon Member

my MVP of the Rockets is Shane Battier!

The key of the success of our team recently which is chemistry!

And the key of the chemistry of our team which is Battier! Whose consistent grittiness, never give up, inspire teammates especially the rookies both in game and in locker room! So he is the virtual MVP in my heart!

12. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

The TEAM!

The NBA should give the Rockets the MVP. What a great message that would send!

13. marciagong

marciagong Member

You never know. There are teams look better than the Rockets on paper but still have worse record or have lost to us. ("cough' Denver Nuggets 'cough')

14. yaoayao

yaoayao Member

what you said exist in the situation when yao was out this season !
    before yao out , what we rockets fans worried about T-MAC is he how to invovle himself into the team ,if you deny it ,i suspect whether you follow the rockets from cover to cover.

15. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Um, are we in 3rd grade?

16. spyajing

spyajing Member

dude, don't try to present the whole rox fans in China. Everybody I know believe rox will win boston without a doubt.

17. marciagong

marciagong Member

Tmac actually played very well at the beginning of the season until he injured his right elbow then his left knee. He was ranked No. 1 of the MVP race and was the POW of the very 1st wk.

18. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

Cabbage,
    No, actually I serious. Think about it awhile. The NBA is always looking for a great angle. The marketing possibilities are endless.

Think about the message to the kids, the schools, the coaches......

An entire campaign could be built around it

19. yaoayao

yaoayao Member

according to someones' criteria above , if Shaq, Duncan,and Kobe were in same team , there was no necessary to discuss , the MVP is Kobe .ridiculous!

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Do we continue to win 10 straight games if Rafer or T-Mac or Battier went down with injury as opposed to Yao? Not sure about that.