1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is Rockets MVP so far?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by stra, Mar 18, 2008.

1. stra

stra Member

This amazing season has been founded by our team being well coached and playing well as a TEAM. If you look at the players individually there is no way we should be the number 1 seed in the west right now but we are :)

That made me wonder which one player is our season MVP and I really feel its not either Yao or T-Mac this year. This is quite a shocker really when you think about it.

There are two candidates in my opinion.. Rafer and Battier.

The case for Rafer is a good one. Coming into the season he was REALLY unwanted here and we brought in 2 proven guys to replace him in Mike James and Steve Francis.. But lo and behold Rafer stays with the team and plays his best season EVER as an NBA player.. He is the floor general for the rockets and his shooting and finishing around the basket has really improved a lot. All the character issues surrounding him heading into the season are still there in the back of my mind but he has suceeded in directing his temper into being a TOUGH player for our team.

The other candidate is Shane Battier. What has been the reason for the rockets success in the win/loss column? In my opinion its been great defense and hustle. The guy that really statues that is Shane Battier. You can count on Shane every game... and I believe he is really setting an example for other players on our team to follow. What puts Shane up in the Rockets MVP echelon is that he is also providing on offense.. He has become our best 3-point shooter in my mind. Hitting it with great consitency..

As Defense really is core for our team every night and Shane REALLY provides that EVERY night I think he is deserving of the Rockets MVP so far in the season.

What do you guys think?

2. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Yao Ming without a doubt. He carried us when TMac was either a no show or almost non existent at times. It's only been 10 games without him and Tmac is playing better but he still has a way to go to Pass Yao. So clearly he is MVP as of today. At the end of the season that might change but then only Tmac can beat out Yao. Anybody else is a distant second.

3. matty101

matty101 Member

Yao Ming so far has to be our MVP.

Rafer and Scola though are most defiantly our MIP's (Most Important Players.) I say this because going into the playoffs, TMAC has the stats to back himself up as a force in the playoffs. Sure he hasnt got out of the first round yet, but by pure stats he has shown to bring his game. Rafer and Scola however needs to fire come playoff time otherwise teams will just double and triple team TMAC without even thinking about the other guys.

MVP - Yao Ming
    MIP - Rafer and Scola

4. stra

stra Member

So how do you rate Battier with regards to importance for us winning the games?

5. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

He is very important, so is Scola, so is Rafer, so is Landry. But the key is if you could trade the health of anyone of those players to get a healthy Yao back would you do it. I think the answer for Rockets management would be yes in a heartbeat. Now Tmac they might have to think about.

6. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

right now i'll give it to tmac based on our yaoless record vs tmacless record. and if we keep rolling and tmac plays out the rest of the season, i don't see how he's not our mvp at the end of the season.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Luis Scola is the reason for the turnaround.......just adding him and his hustle into the mix has changed everything.

Maybe Rafer and his taking the reigns of the team.

Perhaps Battier and his constant hustle

Tmac is always a good choice.

But this year, I hope they don't give an MVP out, or maybe they give it to the ENTIRE TEAM....that is where it SHOULD go.

DD

#7 DaDakota, Mar 18, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  8. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Member

Tracy McGrady is the team MVP, hands down. There will be times when our jump shots won't fall, and that's when we have no choice but to rely on him to score and pull out a win.

9. stra

stra Member

you can say T-mac is sometimes our only scorer but we usually have a handful of players in double figures in scoring. I think what we rely on when our jumpers are not falling is hustle and defense.

T-Mac is not the one carring this team on his back. His jumper is as often missing as any other. I am not dissing T-Mac because its obvious that he is very important for our team in the sheer attention he attracts and the space he creates for other players but he has been to much injured and off his game this season for me to consider him an MVP. I agree that maybe the TEAM should maybe be MVP and for me Battier this season is the ultimate team player for us EVERY night.

10. stra

stra Member

But I think its a tough choice thats why I wanted to hear peoples opinion. Yao has a claim too but at the end of the season he will have missed too many games to be in consideration. If Scola continues his awesome hustle with good rebounding and scoring he will also e a valid candidate.. agreed

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

How is it not tracy? Even when he's not shooting well, check the rebs and assist. Check the closing out of games to stop runs. Better yet go check the game against n.o. when he wouldnt allow the rox to lose. i think shane,rafer,landry and yao have been very good, but what our record without tmac finishing games or not even playing?

12. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

We have won 10 straight games without Yao. We are missing him, his presents inside but we are actually playing better without him.

Of course it is T-Mac

13. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

it's not a surprise that since tracy has returned from injuries, we have not blown any 4th quarter leads or choke.

the last game we played without tracy (and we were playing well too), we still nearly choked the game to the warriors and looked as awful as ever in the 4th.

yao is the most consistent player when he played, but tracy remains our most indispensable player.

8-7 without tracy, 38-13 with tracy. 10-0 without yao. that's staggering.

14. stra

stra Member

Well I dont know.. The easy answer might be T-Mac as you say BUT this season Going into a game I am not thinking we have no chance of winning if T-Mac does not play well because we have proven again and again now that we CAN and WILL win when he is not even on the court. When he is on his game its a blast but its not something we can rely upon going into a game.

Maybe Shane Battier deserves another kind of praise for stability/character/hustle because he can not carry the team alone like T-Mac potentially can.

But my main point stands. This year we do not rely upon T-Macs ability to take over or carry the team but more on Ricks focus on TEAM ball that kind of evovled when T-Mac was injured earlier. And for that Battier and maybe Scola are the most important components in my mind.

15. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

we choked in that Sacramento game. Big time.

16. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

but to be a "great" team, you need to have that. you cannot depend on one single player. if you did, you wouldn't be a great team. isn't that the point why lebron and kobe never got the MVPs the past few yrs? if they don't play great, their teams had no chance.

the truth of the matter is, MVP -> best player on best team. who is the player we can least afford to lose? that's tracy.

remember, we started 0-4 in the first 4 games without tracy. then we went 8-3. 3 of those wins came against the wolves and knicks (i think we could have beaten them without tmac AND yao).

but again, we do have a better group of role players. we can win WHEN BOTH ARE OFF. that's a sign of an emerging great team.

but i still feel tmac is the player we can least afford to lose. we have other big men who can fill in for yao admirably. but despite the improvement of rafer and battier, we don't have a guard who can dominate like tmac. even when his shot is off, he can still create shots for others like he did in the lakers game.

17. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

the mvp is the player that adelman is scared to take out when the game is tight.

18. WNBA

WNBA Member

yes, TMAC.

19. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

The MVP is the whole damn team.

20. alibaba3876

alibaba3876 Member

no mvp in this team

if existed,that must be the coach and the manager

players is good ,but last season ,the similar players didn't play good as what they 're doing now

so i vote adelman ,or manager

sorry for my english is poor ,im not a good student

i dont know how to spell the name of team manager