1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is most at fault for this failure of a team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Valen, Apr 19, 2016.

Tags:
?

Who is to blame?

Poll closed Jun 8, 2016.
  1. Morey

48.4%
  2. McHale

4.3%
  3. JB

18.3%
  4. Harden

16.1%
  5. Dwight

7.5%
  6. Brewer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Linsanity Curse

5.4%
  1. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Morey:
    1. Stubbornly insists on his basketball philosophy/moreyball offense.
    2. Didn't assemble the right roster for said system.
    3. Lets an incompetent puppet coaching staff (that can't adjust the system or bring out the best in players) run things.

2. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

THIS is a huge issue for me. I honestly just cannot stand to even watch the type of "basketball" this team plays. Nothing but throwing up threes, we never run set plays, we NEVER screen for open shots, it's just not enjoyable to watch. I watched maybe 5 entire games this year and still was disinterested. Not my type of B-Ball, not going to watch. I've been a fan since the early 80's and I've never given up on them until this year. Maybe I'm getting older, more responsibilities or something, but I had more fun watching the Francis era (I wasn't a Francis fan at all) or the mediocre years of Luis Scola, Carl Landry, Aaron Brooks, Shane Battier era MUCH more than this load of ****. I just checked out, this isn't real basketball.

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

No matter how bad Harden is on the defensive end, no matter how bad Howard's been, no matter how much of a non-NBA player Brewer is now, etc...it all lays at the feet of Les and Morey. Attitude reflects leadership and the owner and GM haven't lead.

4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

This x10000

Morey has done a great job at being able to get talent on this team for relatively cheap but has too much control over the offensive system.

I would keep Morey at all costs of course because there are not many GMs as good as him, but he needs to seriously let go and stop trying to influence the coaching style so much.

It basically led to a rift with Adeleman...It led to the "coaching" of McHale and now of JBB

The Rockets play the layup/FT and 3pt game but have no real shooters. No real players to be able to attack the rim off the dribble besides Harden (and now Beasley) for a FT shooting team outside of Harden the rest of the team is not very good. Thankfully Harden shoots the most FTs.

The ideas of mid range or movement is completely gone. Its beyond easy for teams to gear up and defend the Rockets. The offense is completely centered around one player and its bad.

I think one of Lawson's failures here was adapting to this "system" the guy didnt just go from being good last season to completely sucking. His off court effected him greatly no doubt but you could tell he was completely lost and hesitant on what to do. Thats all coaching again.

The front office needs to just let go of trying to be in control of the offense and get a coaching that can develop a system that fits the strengths of the talent on the team and not try to force the talent into fitting into the system.

If the system is a MUST for the front office then dump everyone on this team and get the players that will fit the system 100%. Signing guys like Brewer who are atrocious shooters and expect them to shoot like 37%+ from deep is just insane.

Secondly the idea that the style is so good that the coaching doesnt matter too much is a joke. Its late April and the Rockets are juggling starting lineups despite no major injuries. I've never seen a playoff team (regardless of the seed) not have a set rotation at all. Guys go from playing like 10 minutes one game to starting the next. Its maddening

There is plenty of blame to go around of course (Harden's lack of leadership and effort, Howard's complete decline and apathy) but the coaching is the biggest issue

1 person likes this.
  5. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Harden, because he's like Carmelo Anthony.

Wants all of the spotlight and handling the ball 90% of the time.

He wouldn't have it any other way

Carmelo also made the WCF with the Nuggets

6. R=$

R=$ Member

Harden! Let all the success from last year go to his beard!

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

A bee colony can be struck by something nasty called "foul brood," a bacterial infection that threatens the existence of an entire hive. It even smells like rotting meat if you open one up, with all kinds of really sick bees crawling around in it.

If you catch it very early, you can treat it, but it takes vigilance for a long time, because there are now spores left behind that can erupt later.

A key question for treating foul brood is what exactly to burn. Do you burn up a whole hive, including the bees? Do you just burn the equipment you used to manipulate the hive, trying to save the bees?

http://www.beesource.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-234492.html
    "My personal viewpoint is that I would burn the bees and the equipment, primarily destroying the bees in order to destroy the genetics of bees which are prone to foul brood."

I have come to this feeling about our team. Save Capella but just burn this puppy down. The Harden I watch on defense and in these huddles is not showing what champions show. It's time to build a competitive team from the ground up, and yes, that will be very painful.

If Morey stays, Les has to install a traditional brainy basketball person with him. In my view, the statistical approach is just not enough. We've given this long enough and we don't have a contender. Last year was a total fluke and aberration of other teams screwing up at just the wrong time.

1 person likes this.
  8. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

Le$ is the boss. It all starts with him.

Morey should and does shoulder much of the blame, but I think it all goes back to Les and the conditions he set for Morey, from the building of a team philosophy to coaching hires to player acquisition.

It all starts at the top

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It has to be Morey. This roster needs discipline and structure. It needs a coach.

It's like a posted in the game thread last night - a team of less talented players across the board would do better than our current roster if they played a team game and stuck to fundamentals.

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

And there's actually an example of that: This year's Dallas Mavericks.

11. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

Harden.

He lacks leadership, has no heart, no energy, no hustle, no defense, iso, and most important does not give a ***** if we win or lose. The guy has millions an is a star that's all he cares about. For him it's all about money and fame screw a championship is his mentality.