1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is more "racist": The Trump Organization or Silicon Valley

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Sep 18, 2016.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Deleted because of accidental double post

2. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Like I said, we don't know if he's a racist. But he has said racist things because he claimed a man could not do his job because of his race. That is racist.

When Trump is saying that black communities are worse off now than ever before, he has put forth no effort at all to understand the issues of those communities. When he talks about putting the unconstitutional stop and frisk back in place, he clearly isn't thinking about the issues of minorities.

It isn't that Trump wants to enforce immigration laws that shows he hasn't thought about the issues of minorities, it's the comments he's made. Guess who else wants to enforce immigration and has been deporting more folks than ever? Obama. Yet he isn't accused of racist statements as much as Trump has been.

3. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Clearly, Trump has some very stinging rhetoric. While I can't agree with the technical nature of what he said, I would like to point out that over 50 years ago, MLKJ stated that black people lived as exiles in America. It's not that far removed from slavery, which had ended nearly 100 years before he gave his "Dream" speech.

As far as the sentimental nature of his rhetoric, he is correct in identifying the protests, which have taken place over the past few years, as signs that the black community is not in the greatest of shape. And like I said before, I believe that these events which have motivated such protests are largely the result/symptom/by-product of something else.

As far as me using the "perceived" liberalness of Silicon Valley as a staging point for an attack against Trump's opponents - of course that is what this is. The reason I use this example is:
    1. No one has provided an industry example to which other American industries should strive for when it comes to fair and impartial hiring practices (note that I did not say DIVERSE hiring practices).
    2. The argument made by SV-types is that if they can't get a hold of more visa workers then the US will "fall behind the rest of the world".They may fall behind but the US won't. The "may as well burn my business to the ground if I meet demands x, y, and z"-argument is tired, trite, and trivial.
    3. People need a perspective that is different than what they are hearing and reading on Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, etc.

4. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I don't think anyone including black leaders, and liberals all around believes the black and other minority communities and conditions are ideal. I haven't heard anyone make that argument. MLK jr's statement was correct and isn't anything at all like Trump's. In fact those times were one of the times that make's Trump's statement ridiculous and show how out of touch he is.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Did you quote me by accident? What I'm saying is Silicon Valley does not represent liberals even if they are themselves liberals. So the transgressions of Silicon Valley do not reflect on liberals, generally. They are themselves -- for-profit organizations riding a bubble to riches. That's it.

6. Cohete Rojo

It is no accident. Truth is in the pudding, and the pudding is data flavored.

If not Silicon Valley, then what large, liberal metro-area can we point to and say: that is an example of liberal hiring practices (values)?
    • Austin, TX? More segregated than Silicon Valley.
    • New York City? Very segregated. Projects and ghettos line and surround the vast blocks of wealth of the most liberal communities.
    • Hollywood, CA? #OscarsSoWhite
    • Chicago? Let's not use Chicago.

I seem to be failing at finding the liberal areas where this statistic (about black --and latino-- hiring) is not present.

7. JuanValdez

Then I do fail to see what you're trying to say. Are you saying we should find some kind of community of liberal-leaning companies that over-index with diversity hiring? And, I presume you think if some such thing doesn't exist then somehow Trump is not a racist? Is that the argument? Please help me with logic.

8. Cohete Rojo

Again, this is NOT about diversity - it is about fair and impartial hiring practices. I find it awfully hypocritical of people to bring up issues, such as police brutality against blacks, as a way to attack Trump while they themselves turn a blind-eye to the cause of such symptoms.

I see you have not had any luck either.

9. dmoneybangbang

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Both sides are hypocrites....I am not sure what you are trying to prove but it's only making you look very silly and ignorant.

10. JuanValdez

Maybe I understand now. You're saying the data shows that, if not for all the H1B visas, Google/Facebook/etc would be employing many more blacks and hispanics than they do now. That H1Bs steal jobs disproportionately from blacks and hispanics.

Honestly, I don't like H1B very much. It is offshoring on-shore. From a business perspective it's great -- reduce costs while not losing the managerial control and worker proficiency that you often suffer with offshoring. But it means you have workers living in the US and working at a discount. I rather doubt they steal jobs disproportionately from blacks and hispanics, but they do reduce workers' negotiating leverage and depress wages of citizens. The H1B workers sacrifice on wages because they are taking their pay in non-monetary benefits (which are provided mostly by the country and not the hiring company) -- entry into the US, higher wages than they can command in their native countries, building their resume, perhaps start a path to citizenship -- but also because they are somewhat captive in their jobs in ways citizens are not.

But, Trump's position on H1B didn't make him a racist anyway. He's got plenty of other indicators on that score. Nor do I think his position makes him some kind of a champion for the American worker either. There's a lot of factors that shaped our H1B policies, including some powerful economic interests. Maybe he'll make some changes, but they'll be incremental, and the benefits felt by American workers (and black and hispanic workers) will be minimal and perhaps offset by the impacts on American consumers. Even if he scores a big win on this issue though, I still don't see how that justifies overlooking his many, many other faults.