1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is more overrated?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jpsamhyz, May 1, 2007.

1. jpsamhyz

jpsamhyz Member

Lebron James: His Cavs played a depleted Wizards team that absolutely stinks in the 1st round. Still, all four games came down to the very last minute.
    Josh Howard: If you read the media comments on his game prior to the All-Star weekend, you thought they are talking about Scottie Pippen in his prime.
    Dirk Nowitzki: Enough said about him.

BTW, Mark Cuban calls the 2003 draft the "Lebron James-Josh Howard Draft" despite the fact that he got his ass kicked by Dwayne Wade in the finals last year. Now I suddenly realized that he might be refering to the two most overrated player in the draft, rather than the best two. :cool:

2. Bookit

Bookit Member

2 Mavs in the poll? There just might be a little hate mixed in with this thread.

3. jpsamhyz

jpsamhyz Member

Not at all. Just so happened that I have long regarded Josh Howard as overrated.

4. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

Well at least he's playing better individually during the playoffs than he did during the regular season. I actually think Josh Howard is the most complete and consistent player on that Dallas team.

But to me, it has to be Dirk. He's supposed to be an MVP and has done absolutely nothing to prove that point. He doesn't play defense and can't put his team on his back and take them to victory. He is really one of the most overrated players in NBA history, and if he wins the MVP he will probably go down as one of the worst, if not the worst, MVP in league history.

5. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

People hommerism aside, how can you hate on Lebron?

I mean the kid is such a joy to watch especially how he likes to pass the ball to his team mates. Come on the guy doesn't have any wrinkle to his game and people treat him like he is selfish ballhog. At 22 years of age, he has a game that is beyond comparison from anyone including Kobe and MJ at the same age. Poll all the GMs and coaches in the league and ask them who would they start a franchise with TODAY? The answer would overwhelmingly be LBJ cause he is that good and only begining to scratch the surface. I hate to admit it but I believe when all is said and done Lebron will have a better career than Kobe, T-Mac or anyone else currently in the league. Imagine him in his full prime around 27-28 years and that could be very scary. In that 3-4 year window, He is gonna put up monster numbers especially when he fully develops his jumpshot. Yes it will take time just like it took Jordan, Kobe, T-Mac and etc...but when he does the league is gonna see years where this guy could easily average triple doubles. he is already at a 27-6-6 type average. This guy is the real deal and the return of the messiah and not some false prophet like Kobe or Carter. All hail to the King!!!

6. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Robinson - MVP 94-95
    I don't know about all of that...remember David Robinson in 95, although he was good player there were clearly two players much better than him and looked at way he got embrassed in the playoffs.

Nash - MVP 04-05
    15.8 ppg, 11.3 ast. , people have fought day a night about this.

Malone - MVP 98-99
    23.8 ppg , 9.9 rpg - you all already know my position about Malone having 2 MVPs.

I notice something about the recent years, which where all the controversy has come from...they don't give to the best player anymore...they give it to the team with the best record or which ever candidate the writers like the best....kinda like the Oscars.

7. lastopsuburb

lastopsuburb Member

WHY IS JOSH HOWARD OVERRATED??? He is actually the only mav hasn't been choking...

THAT SAID.... As much as i think Dirk sucks donkey balls, LEBRON IS AN OVERRATED ass.

8. fredthered

fredthered Member

I have no doubt LeBron is the the most talented player in the league, BUT I have two major reasons to somewhat dislike him. The most significant is that he basically dosnt try like he should. He is a lot like Tmac, but without the excuse of the back spasms. He lets the defense off so many times by settling for long jumpshots, when he is proabably the most unstopable player in the league going to the rim. If he played with 80% of the effort of someone like DWade, he would already be the best player in the league.
    The second reason I dislike him is the Reggie Bush effect. Bassically, the media loves him so much that they throw crappy Cavs game after crappy Cavs game down our throats to the point where I geniuenly hate them, along with other experts fanning all over him...

On the other hand, Dirk is a glorified jumpshooter who is being exposed by an aggressive defense. OVERRATED!

9. jpsamhyz

jpsamhyz Member

Man, when I watch the Cavs games, there are always two thoughts:
    1. This is like a book on bad coaching.
    2. I can probably coach that team better.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Anybody who thinks Josh Howard is overrated is a loony-tune. If you lay aside the Mav hatred for a second you will see he's gone from their 3rd best to 2nd best player this season. In a couple of years (or maybe even next year), he will surpass Dirk and be the Mavs main player. What's not to appreciate about a 2nd round draft choice who's gotten dramatically better each year?

Between Dirk and LeBron, "obviously" Dirk is more overrated. ;)

11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Josh Howard is the only one on the Mavericks team that actually has any heart and fight in him. Even though he likes to call timeouts when there isn't any for him to call, he's a fighter.

12. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i realize dirk's playoff reputation is going in the crapper thanks to the finals and the golden state series (and probably deservedly so), but year in and year out up until this point he has been a very good playoff performer in his career. if i told you these stats:

25.9 ppg, 11.2 rpg, 56.9 TS%
    25.6 ppg, 12.2 rpg, 56.7 TS%
    25.7 ppg, 11.1 rpg, 57.2 TS%

were the career playoff stats for 3 guys and the first 2 were hakeem olajuwon and shaquille o'neal, would you believe the third guy is dirk nowitzki? "obviously" i'm not saying he has the impact of a shaq or hakeem in leading a team to a title b/c he definitely doesn't (as these last 2 series have shown) but he's hardly had a career in which he did nothing in big games. he may not be an mvp caliber leader of a team, but then neither is nash and no one cares, so i don't see why we should hold it against dirk so much that the voters are stupid. and while drob showed us that PER dominance ain't all it's cracked up to be, dirk does really well in those stats as well b/c of his efficiency. anyway, he's sucking now, but he's not altogether completely overrated.

but he does need to stay overrated one more night b/c i get some serious money if golden state finishes the series tonight. plus it would be funny for dallas fans to get finished off on their homecourt.

oh and josh howard isn't becoming the mavs best player in a year.

13. demon77

demon77 Member

Gotta go with James. The commentator give more praise everytime he score then anyone else in the league.

I highly doubt they can get pass round 1 if they are in the western conference.

Dirk is overated too but everyone knows deep inside he isn't MVP worthy. (including himself :p )

14. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I agree with you somewhat, yes Lebron can very passive and he almost had it on cruise control the whole season but now I think he will step it up a notch. I remember the Detroit series last year where he almost knocked them off. I think he has some lapses but still his age outweighs everything else. He is still very young and raw, a few more years of working on his jumpshot maybe like Kobe and Jordan in the summer and he will flourish. Also as fans we would like to see him drive more but as a cautionary tale look at T-Mac and what his health has become from those years of taking the pain in Orlando. Even Wade is begining to see the big picture that a jumpshot will eventually add 5 more years to your career. I think that is the same process LBJ is going through where he needs develop a shot otherwise he is a one dimensional player. I think time and especially playoff experience will make James a much better overall player. I see a few minor issues in his game but they can be worked and consider his age and it almost scares you what this kid could turn out to be 3-4 years down the road.

Now I sometimes really hate the media for all this exposure to a single athlete but then again this is the culture we live in and we can all thank Jordan for creating this media machine. Fact of the matter is that the media wants a posterboy goldenchild for the league and after Jordan left those duties fell upon Kobe but he messed up his image with the whole rape thing and then the Shaq departure and now he is labeled as a selfish player and that hurts his marketing ability. Thus the media has found the next guy in line and that just happens to be a young out of high school who plays a similar style. Lebron never asked such hype but he is now the most marketable player in the NBA regardless of how he plays on court. For example Wade has accomplished more but he gets very little recognition for his performance. That is the sad reality of our world where million dollar shoe deals matter more than winning championships.

15. lunaticrocket

lunaticrocket Rookie

None of the three is overrated. Perhaps Dirk does not deserve the MVP, but if you are rewarding the regular season (and that is where the voting takes place), then he was the best player in the best team.

Kind of when we say Dream should have won the 95 MVP. He was the best player of the playoffs, but the Rockets had a terrible regular season.

There really should be a playoffs MVP. Or they could have awards like 1st round MVP East, 1st round MVP west, etc... If the NBA has meaningless awards like "Player of the Week", why not reward each round of the playoffs?

16. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Stats don't mean a thing cause it could be that Dirk has played in more games thus losing in as many as winning. Same thing T-Mac is 3rd in all-time playoff scoring average yet he has never won a series. See my point?

Robert Horry has had a much more significant playoff career than Dirk in terms of winning shots for his team. Dirk has never won a series for his team where put his stamp on the opposing team. He has just been lucky that his team has some really good player and a deep bench.

As for Nash you are wrong because he is a system and entire gameplan his based around him. He is like Peyton Manning of basketball where he makes so many decisions, changes, tweaks on the fly that soon NBA might have to implement rules just to contain. I remember a few years ago the NBA made rules like zone defense to stop Allen Iverson and now Nash is lauging at the rules because no noe can seem to contain him effectively.

17. dream2franchise

I think the media and fans alike are too quick with expectations of our young players. A player coming out of high school will take longer to develop than a college player.

I believe most of the backlash is about the fact that James' game is nowhere near complete and yet he is already being crowned as the best in the league when he is far from it.

In this case he is overrated, James has all the tools to become the greatest ever, but he is in Shaq mode right now, just getting by on what he has. Once he develops a consistent jump shot, improves his man to man D dramatically so that he isn't a total liability and finds a coach who has a clue THEN the praise will be warranted for many out there.

Right now his game just isn't there yet. But i believe it's only a matter of time, i really hope he doesn't let his game stand the way it is. It would be a waste.

I do question his passion for the game every now and then. I tend to think he approaches the game from a business perspective instead of just wanting to compete with the best and prove himself.

Is James a great player? Yes. Is he the best in the League? No. Not Yet.

18. jlwee

jlwee Member

If you went to Mavs' forum you probably see this:

Who is more overate?
    D. Wade: Cant even get his team out of 1st round despite being defending Finals MVP
    Yao Ming: abused by freaking fat'Okur
    T-mac: never get out of 1st round in his career!

19. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

that doesn't help his "per game" averages. they're really good no matter how you look at them.

[/quote]Same thing T-Mac is 3rd in all-time playoff scoring average yet he has never won a series. See my point?[/quote]

being remarkable in the playoffs and having a terrible supporting cast doesn't mean you now suck in the playoffs.

yes he has. and if he ever had to be the best player on and lead a team, they would fail miserably. big shot rob is my boy, but lets compare apples to apples. horry has never had the pressure of carrying a team.

uhh, san antonio just last year? how much better did he need to be? and phoenix last year as well.

just like john stockton. course neither has a ring yet either. so i don't think they'll be making rules to stop people without rings.

20. tmacattack131

tmacattack131 Member

Josh Howard isn't overrated at all. He has a good jump shot, plays D and in my opinion the best player Dallas has.

LeBron IMO is very slightly overrated because he is praised so much, yet he's done nothing significant thus far in his career (then again it's still early in his career)

Dirk is vastly overrated. How is this guy nominated for MVP? Outside of shooting what other facet of the game is he good in? Passing? He's not a great rebounder nor does he block shots or play D. Clutch factor is also awful, yet all he needs to do is hit one three point shot in the 4th, stick his toungue out, and he recieved praise. :mad: