1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is Jordan Hamilton?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Feb 20, 2014.

1. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Can i get an advanced stats review/scouting report on this guy? Maybe from the likes of durvasa or someone else capable of explaining advanced stats?

I understand he has a 17%rbd but i don't know how to read these stats. Too many numbers and percentages. I understand that is good for his position. Other than someone posting that i wouldn't know.

39% catch and shoot seems really good. But all the assist% and other advanced metrics i just don't understand how to read and decipher whether he is average or above average or below average.

I only understand win shares, off rating and def rating and advanced stats like that.

I would much appreciate it and will rep accordingly.

2. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Yeah, I like Garcia and is a great bench guy in case of injuries but he shouldn't see the court otherwise, Hamilton is definitely an upgrade in that regard. Hamilton is streaking and probably always will be, he was that way at UT. I don't remember his defense being anything to write home about but it wasn't bad either. He did well in the tournament and they almost knocked of a much better Arizona team. That team was loaded with immature and talented guys and Hamilton was probably the most mature player on the team by a large margin.

3. vator

vator Contributing Member

http://www.csnhouston.com/basketball-houston-rockets/talk/rockets-hamilton-ready-get-work-new-team

1 person likes this.
  4. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

I posted this in the morey 790 thread, it's nothing special at all, I did this 30 minutes after we drafted him, it's basically just visual

I spoke about the rebounding stat as soon as I looked him up and no one else has run with it, he is elite as a wing defensive rebounder, he brings in 17.5% of available defensive rebounds when he is on the court which is better than a lot of C's out their. For example dwight/Asik bring down roughly 21-22%.

Also Garcia only brings down 9.9% of those same rebounds, which is a major drop off. I still can't beleive more people arnt seeing this as a major upgrade.

The Canaan side someone brought up when the trade went down, I'm cautious for him to get minutes this year but I guess if mchale has a habit of stuffing around with kids that sometimes morey has to force him to realise or some other reason eg inquires this year (the reason DMo and tjones got into the rotation in the dwight era)
    firstly about his catch and shoots the closest thing i can come to finding this stat is through synergy sports as seen below
    [​IMG]
    i wouldnt say he is elite at it, im not sure the context of the tweet, maybe they were reffering to because he is playing with willing passes in harden and lin now his numbers will rise, he is ranked high on off screen threes, which wouldnt make up a large part in our offence but it should be noted.
    he is more liekly to be a garcia corner-elbow three type of player, even though due to this years shot chart
    [​IMG]
    however from all the video i have watched on him he could be a cassipi three point shooter and feels more confortable shooting above the break, but thats just my opinion not based on facts.

also just while i was thier i had a brief look at his defence synergy, just remember these arnt perfect but should guage as a tool us fans a look at what morey sees.
    [​IMG]

#124 Voice of Aus, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Was thinking similarly

Helps, but looks like he's below average overall

6. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

The role on this team for Hamilton is to basically replace Garcia. What is Garcia's role? To shoot 3s, defend, and help on glass. He doesn't leak out, not a passer, AKA a role player. So let's see how Hamilton compares in those regards.

Jordan Hamilton:
    1. Spot Up 3: (39.1%)
    2. DRB%: (17.1%)

Garcia:
    1. Spot Up 3: 35.6%
    2. DRB %: 9.8%

Omri Casspi:
    1. Spot Up 3: 36.8%
    2. DRB%: 16%

Defensively: He's pretty average laterally, but has good size. He should be able to play defense at least on par with Garcia.

Now lets compare those percentages vs the rest of the team

The Spot Up 3 point shooting is behind only Parsons and Lin.

The DRB% is behind only the 4 rotational bigs. The gap between his next few wings is large. Casspi has a 16% DRB and the next wing player is parsons with only 12%.

If he plays within himself and doesn't make a lot of young player mistakes, he will easily be a huge upgrade over Garcia and Casspi.

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i think this was mostly to balance the roster. who needs 4 pgs? we were weak on the wing with garcia being over the hill and casspi being streaky.

in short. i'm not expecting a whole lot. it was a good move to balance the roster and take a look at a guy with first round potential. he may or may not earn any minutes over garcia or casspi. but i think the point of the trade was maybe he will, and we aren't giving up anything to find out.