1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is better Tracy McGrady or Allen Iverson?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rockets#1fan, Jul 6, 2008.

?

Who's better T-Mac or AI?

Poll closed Aug 25, 2008.
  1. Tracy McGrady

175 vote(s)
    76.4%
  2. Allen Iverson

54 vote(s)
    23.6%
  1. poprocks

poprocks Member

Not even close because T-Mac can make passes and makes the overall team better. AI just needs to dominate the ball and dribble penetrate. He's not the consumate teammate though.

2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

For as great of a talent and unique player AI is he's also one of the hardest to adapt to an offense. Any offense involving AI automatically ditches any sort of structure or discipline and instead heavily relies on ball dominance, ISO's and volume shots.

Not only that but he's also extremely difficult to mesh with other stars. Trying to pair him up with another volume shooter like Carmelo is definitely a bad idea too.

Bottom line: I don't care what AI did eight years ago. Regardless of T-Mac's postseason shortcomings he's still the better player and EASILY the player NBA GM's would choose to build their teams around, if given the choice.

3. StaticC4

StaticC4 Member

Ahhh too hard to choose I could imagine a half Tmac half AI....he would have:great height,great crossovers,great passion,heart,killer jumpshot, and etc.The list could go own forever

4. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

I like post game better and court vision. I dont think it's a matter of heart.

T-Mac skill wise is more of an offensive challenge then Iverson.

T-Mac is one of the better mid-range shooters.

Iverson can take it to the hole only because he is smaller and quicker can create contact easier do to his height.

T-Mac has a hard time creating contact or getting calls because he is taller, normally guys 6'6 or smaller have a advantage.

Being 6'8 puts him at a dis advantage or refs simply dont give him the same treatment.

Both are different weapons and styles, but both are very good.

5. Chronz

Chronz Member

AI's run to the Finals was so overrated, Tmac is a better player for his career and definitely the greater player in his prime. AI has all the good hardware though

6. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

overall talent - TMac
    desire/heart - AI
    work ethic - TMac (I would have made this a toss up...but I couldn't help but think about AI...."we talkin bout practice!"
    Injuries - AI (I think this is what really puts him over the top in my book)

I'm sure I left something out, but that last one is hard to top. If your guy isn't playing he's no use whatsoever.

Overall - AI
    Prime - TMac

Even though I wouldn't trade TMac for him today, my vote goes to AI.

Pugs

7. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

This pretty much sums it up. AI is a little man who takes no prisoners. Tracy is 6'8" and settles for shots from the parking lot.

8. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I have to agree with alot of people here, height means alot. If AI were 6'8 he would probably be the best player in the league but since he ain't i would pick Tmac over him. I think if you put Tmac on the Nuggets they would be alot better but if you put AI on the rockets they would probably barely squeak into the playoffs.

9. Christopher

Christopher Member

AI has heart and toughness and has lead some rotten teams to the late rounds of the playoffs.

I rate that above pretty numbers in games that mean nothing.

10. ncagg42

ncagg42 Member

They are two different kind of players, however T mac is by far a more complete player. AI has toughness and knows how to score, but T Mac can provide a little more, especially on the defensive side of the floor. However it must be noted that AI did lead a team to the finals.

11. fogo11606

fogo11606 Member

Tmac allll day.

12. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Funny, now that Iverson's stats are very impressive he's losing, now that McGrady's are unimpressive he's winning. :confused:

I think I'd take Iverson right now because he's healthier.

13. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Why does everyone think McGrady is a better passer than Iverson? Maybe arguable I guess, but Iverson is clearly more suited to play PG than McGrady, even if only as a "shoot-first" PG.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

yeah, but who's more suited to play point-forward?

15. Christopher

Christopher Member

I just rate Iverson as one of the most amazing players Ive seen. Its almost like your watching a video game with one players scoring rating put right up.

I also look at the way he led the 76ers, I mean at there best they had a few good defenders are the rest was just Iverson, and to his credit, he took them to the finals.

I'm very tough on T Mac because I want him to be that great player that is full of fight. I want him to be the players that drags himself onto the court injured, who wills his team to the impossible wins and whos career isnt marked by his stats but the way he plays when he is up against the toughest opponents.

Yeah T Mac is a great scorer and his stats look great. He is a big player and he can do some amazing things on the court. I just think he has not shown the ability to get knocked down, get back up and run straight back into the fight....and most importantly, win.

16. TmacsRockets

TmacsRockets Rookie

Mcgrady obviously.

17. ibm

ibm Member

i think talent-wise it's a draw. adapting to a new system is slightly in mcgrady's favor. and then almost everything else goes to iverson.

overall i think it's a.i.

18. LoveRoxHateJazz

152 Yes
    42 No

Are you ****ing serious.

19. Kuusisto

Kuusisto New Member

absolutly...T-MAC.. in this place~ :eek:

20. TmacsRockets

TmacsRockets Rookie

What do you expect, it is a rockets forum.