1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is better Dwight or Yao?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DaDakota, Nov 30, 2007.

Tags:
?

Who is better, Dwight Howard, or Yao Ming

1. Dwight Howard - younger and more athletic

53.8%
  2. Yao Ming - Taller and more skilled

46.2%
  1. Yi Jian Lian

Yi Jian Lian Member

so who's apple and who's orange in you mind?

2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

This argument would be useful if Howard was in his late 20's or so not whenever he's 21-years-old and improving literally by the day. You're nuts if you think he's peaked and/or wont develop the "skills" you're mentioning.

3. Tuan

Tuan Member

Again, READ WHAT I WROTE. Where did I say that Dwight Howard has peaked? In your original post, you stated that you believed that Yao would regress quickly after his prime years because of his physical limitations. I merely refuted your statement by saying that guys like Yao simply does not lose his effectiveness as quickly because he does not entirely base his game of athleticism.

You should take the time to read a post instead of getting offended :D .

4. baller4life315

Why would I be offended? I read what you wrote and I still interpret it the same way. You're implying that Howard will regress quickly once he deteriorates physically because he's not skilled enough offensively to play a finesse game now nor will he ever be. By suggesting that you're indirectly saying that you think he's peaked skill-wise and that he's entirely reliant upon his athleticism.

That's a very foolish argument to make. He's only 21-years-old now and he's already near unguardable with the fairly simple 2-3 moves he uses plus the "dunk over everybody" approach. If he ever develops a jumpshot, works on his footwork and go's to the C-Webb/Duncan school of pump fakes he's going to get even better offensively.

As for Yao, I don't want to sit here and rip on him. The NBA is all about speed and athleticism. It has been for years now. Slow centers that can't play uptempo ball don't exactly fit the criteria for the direction the league is moving in. My fear (and believe me, I hope i'm wrong) is that the big fella's legs are going to start getting heavier and heavier the older he gets. He's already as slow as they come now. The thought of him getting any worse in that department is downright frightening.

#84 baller4life315, Dec 5, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

are you serious? does it even matter?

Thanks I was waiting for someone else to respond because I didn't want to make it look like I was "out to get him".

Kareem was skilled and tall but he didn't have 300+ pounds to lug around like Yao does. And Kareem was never a slow prodding center. He wasn't a gazelle but he sure didn't have the same trouble of getting up and down the floor like Yao does. Over time, unfortunately, Yao will get injured because of his massive frame size and the past few seasons can be the evidence. Of course there hasn't been a player of his size and skillset in the NBA before, but one has to believe that the grind Yao puts on his body for the NBA + playoffs and his regular play with the CNT is putting some miles on his body.

6. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

what league do they play in? :rolleyes:

7. Tuan

Tuan Member

Ok, its obvious that you are overly interpreting what I have written.

8. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

The answer: DYao Minward

9. Tuan

Tuan Member

Out to get me on what? LOL You make it sound like what you have said is written in stone. What you have said are merely your own assumptions. Shaq gets banged on and weighs MORE than Yao, yet he is able to play in the league for a long long time. You have no basis to say with certainty that Yao will not last because of size. There has never been a guy of Yao's size to say anything with certainty. What I merely stated was that finesse players are generally more durable than those who rely on pure athletic ability. I dont think anyone will argue with me on that?

10. Murph23

Murph23 Rookie

Dwight without thinking twice. And that includes Pryuen to go along with Yao! :D :D

11. steddinotayto

Did I not write this?

I thought I did.

12. Tuan

Tuan Member

LOL. Read the WHOLE thing. You merely wrote that one line to provide some common ground, but your whole post implied that Yao will break down sooner than later because of his size.

Am I misinterpreting what you are writing? Nice try.

13. steddinotayto

Yao playing a combined 105 games in the past two years doesn't make you think that Yao COULD probably break down sooner than later?

14. baller4life315

Dude, don't pretend to know basketball if you're going be like this.

You do the same thing in every post. You make some half-assed comment then whenever somebody responds or points out its lack of substance you go off on these little high school girl tangents where you CAPITALIZE words for "effect" and accuse whoever is calling you out of NEEDING TO REREAD YOUR POST!

Omg like, DON'T disagree with ME!!!!! :rolleyes: :p

15. kungfueurotrash

Yao has 18 and 10reb in the 3rd quarter right now.... Well see what happens Dec.19th, until then I'll be hanging on yao's nuts till then....

16. Tuan

Tuan Member

Seriously, read my post and please tell me where I said Dwight Howard has reached his peak. I honestly dont know how you got that idea. I merely stated guys who rely mostly on athletic ability will regress faster than skilled players. Thats is all I stated. I made no comments about Yao being better than Howard or Howard being than Yao. If anything, I think you are the one who overreacted.

BTW....please point a post that I have made that lack substance. I hardly ever post here and when I do its because of guys like DD. And can you really blame me for that? :D

17. baller4life315

YOU FORGOT TO HIT THE CAPS LOCK BUTTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, i'm done. ;)

#97 baller4life315, Dec 5, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  18. chihchen

chihchen Member

are you on crack or something
    good god
    dwight will be nothing if he lose those hops and strength? why are you so bitter about the fact that dwight is doing so well?
    what about in 3-4yrs, when yao moves slower than slug. halirious
    i'm a fan of yao, i want him to dominate dwight on the 19th.. but i'm realistic. yao isn't close of being the dominant force dwight is

19. chihchen

chihchen Member

you are the biggest homer ever, take yao's penis out of your mouth
    what are you trying to prove?
    yao is invinsible?

20. BayAreaG510

BayAreaG510 Member

To all the idiots here that are homers and thinks Dwight Howard is better than Yao, take a hike! Don't get me wrong, Dwight is a good shot blocker and rebounder. But he's too one-dimension when it comes to his offense. He's like a stronger version of Shawn Kemp for now without a damn jump shot. It's evidently he won't develop a jump shot.

Apparently all you homers watch highlights on ESPN and think Dwight Howard is an invisible god, but guess what? WRONG!

Yao has been double-teamed without the ball a lot of times this season. I saw each of Orlando's game this season. Dwight Howard has never been double-teamed without the ball because he got Tukoglu, Bogan, Nelson, Lewis, that are all good jump shooters. Yao only has TMac who sometimes bricks. It's evidently Rockets starting line-up struggles outside jumpers. That's why opponents were able to double-team Yao and try to make the others miss, and the gamble paid off.

Another reason all you homers don't realize is Yao gets pulled, tangled, grabbed in the low post without the ball, and there's no foul called! The corrupt gambling refs also play a big role in this mess. No wonder FBI is investigating these crooked refs.

If Yao gets defended LEGALLY, then watch out! He'll LIGHT every team up!