1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who inherits the Republican Party?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by JuanValdez, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Roscoe Arbuckle

Rasmussen on the first. These are easy to look up.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Aren't they notorious for oversampling conservative voters?

Isn't that like Trump's go to?

I'm looking for aggregates. A single poll doesn't say much.

3. Roscoe Arbuckle

Rasmussen poll has shown that every poll that has been over 40% has led to the incumbent being re-elected. Nobody has ever been above 50% until now.

4. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

First off it’s Rasmussen then you know it’s going to lean conservative.

Secondly I would have answered I’m better off since Obama as well. But Trump didn’t have a damn thing to do with it. Obama gave him a roaring economy and he rode the wave until COVID.

We didn’t need the tax cuts which has only resulted in more debt as for the 4th time in my lifetime we have tried and failed with voodoo economics.

5. astros123

astros123 Member

You guys crack me up in this thread. The same stuff was said in 2012 after Obama won. The Republicans were going to bring out a Moderate candidate in which they tried but the base of the party rejected them. What don't you guys understand about 39% of Republicans think Top senate leaders are part of a pedo child molestation ring. The republican party has been hijacked to the alt right and the next candidate will be someone out of politics.

[​IMG]

6. Roscoe Arbuckle

Always find this funny; especially when Obama talked about the economy and a magic wand.

You're flat-out wrong.

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Brought to you by The Onion.

Buck Turgidson and astros123 like this.
  8. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

If they were smart it would be this guy. But given the climate that trump has harvested it is unlikely

[​IMG]

Dubious likes this.
  9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Senator Graham is gonna be AOC’s sidekick next.

10. astros123

astros123 Member

Once again you guys are completely overestimating the Republican party. Its just so funny from an outsider's point of view to see how Democrats act. Im a solid moderate and democrats are so out of touch with reality. Graham or nobody will try being friends with Biden or anyone from the Dems. They will go full anti-democrat and try flipping the senate back in 2022. On the first day they'll come out with some sort of coalition pact to block everything that Biden proposes. Of course the neoliberal that Biden is will play nice and try to negotiate while wasting a good chunk of time in office.

If I'm the Democrats the first thing I do is eliminate the filibuster. Secondly, I overhaul votings rights, pass a mini green deal, expand Obamacare while including some sort of nonprofit public option, include statehood to DC at minimum, student debt relief, expand the supreme court. If Biden did any of these things then I guarantee you that the Dems will retain the house for decades which would prevent the GOP from overturning them. What I'm tired of is the corporate Democrats who bow and play nice while accomplishing nothing.

The time to play nice is the past. The democrats need to understand they are the majority party and as long as they pass real legislation the party will be rewarded time after time.

11. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Trumpers will still have veto power in the GOP. It will be tough for the country club leaders of the GOP to tame the beast they enabled. The new leaders will still have as their main focus massive redistribution of wealth upwards. To do this they will dog whistle about racism and bigotry albeit more subtly, claim to be deeply Christian and even environmentalists as I see that fraud Dan Crenshaw do in his ads. They will promise a return to the Happy Days of the 50's when America was Great --MAGA will remain tarnished as a slogan

12. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I dont know why any of you think the Republican Party will magically change if Trump loses. Look at state Republican parties. Republicans have been locked out of any power in California since 2010. Democrats now have supermajorities in California and the GOP is largely irrelevant there now. Logically they should moderate in order to make any headway but instead they've done the opposite and have actually moved further to the right. You see this in Republican parties in the other dominant Democratic states. There's no track record of the GOP somehow moderating. Trumpism isn't going away.

If the Democrats have a massive wave, the only Republicans left in the Senate and Congress will be from deep red states where unproductive far right conservatism is the norm so its only logical that this brand of conservatism will stick around if these are the types of people that make up your caucus. The Charlie Baker/Phil Scott types of the Republican Party are unique exceptions that have had no track record of winning a federal election.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  13. Roscoe Arbuckle

Dan Crenshaw is a Navy Seal who lost his eye in combat and went to Harvard.

Sandy Cortez is a bartender who literally went to a casting call because her brother made her go.

Which side is the fraud?

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The only issue is that it isn't 2012 anymore. The GOP tried to be more moderate in 2016, the writing is on the wall, they know that just as well. It was Trump that fudged that up.

The GOP can go back to moderation if they accept that there is no future in their divisive politics of the old. In this scenario, where Biden wins in a landslide, it would not be beneficial for them to appease Trump's base anymore. You just leave them out in the cold to accept the reality of the nation and appease more voters. If you believe Biden wins strongly then there is not much of a path forward with Trumpism.

If the GOP loses Texas, it's over with. They will never win another general election giving up Texas, New York, and California. It won't happen. Texas might not go blue this election, but at this rate, it's only a matter of time. The GOP needs to stop this, going further and further right is not going to help them, especially as Austin continues to grow and even El Paso.

It's getting harder and harder for Republicans to win Texas and they are losing ground here, unless they change a lot of their platform, they will lose Texas just like they did California. I'm not sure where they go from there. There just isn't winning a general election when the other side is spotted nearly half of the needed EC votes at the start.

AleksandarN and Hakeemtheking like this.
  15. Roscoe Arbuckle

Have you for just a lil while thought why there is a mass exodus from California? Liberal policies do not work.

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The economies of blue states vs red states says otherwise. No one from California is moving to Alabama, after all.

It's also irrelevant to my point, Texas is turning blue.

glynch, Phillyrocket and Nook like this.
  17. astros123

astros123 Member

Same thing happening in Virgina as well. A lot of what you guys are talking about in this thread is what was discussed on the Maher show tonight . Im not a Maher guy but someone sent me this and its a good watch. Talks about the ALT right followers and why they listen to trump and the future of the country

18. Roscoe Arbuckle

Name a Democrat run city that is Thriving? Houston was one, but we are now in overwhelming debt despite being the only major city to never decrease in population in any census.

I keep telling my liberal friends. Stick to social issues. You have no clue about the economy.

19. CCorn

CCorn Member

Robot Nixon

20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Q is all powerful. There is no going back.