1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who here plays ping pong?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Two Sandwiches, Nov 16, 2010.

Tags:
  1. SunsRocketsfan

table tennis, ping pong or whatever you want to call it is acutally quite a lot of fun and you can get a good work out too. My folks had one at their place and my friends and I use to play it all the time. It's a fun sport and hope you can continue to enjoy your new hobby

2. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

I haven't played badminton much, but totally understand what you're saying. A lot more strenuous than it looks. The worst part is having to lunge forward and "dig" low to return drop shots, very tiring because we don't use the muscles to perform that type of action often in everyday life. The constant jumping up and down wears you out pretty quickly too.

3. stonegate_archer

Nice Jump! I live in Chicago area, play competition all the time. Huston is a pretty good place for table tennis, good clubs and coaches. A kid named Charles Deng is one of the best juniors in the Country.

4. across110thstreet

epic ping pong thread.

I used to play with my uncle and dad on an old table when I was a kid. in NYC, I would frequent Fat Cats, a pool hall and table tennis club.

it's making it's way back into the social scene as well...

this past summer, I kicked my love for ping pong into high gear. I saw an ad for a free ping pong table in Orange County and went to pick it up for my afterschool program in L.A.

this September, I put out a challenge to the middle school students: if anyone could beat me, they would win a ticket to Six Flags Magic Mountain.

there were about three students whose game improved tremendously and were starting to give me a run for my money. I had a few score 18 or 19 on me in a game to 21(House rules- alternate serves after every 5, switch sides after every 10, first to 21, win by 2).

Last week, I beat someone 25-23.

But just yesterday, I was down 6-13, and then 10-15 to a 7th grader with his eyes on the prize.

Game point- 20 to 17. I win the point. 20 to 18. I win the next point. 20 to 19.

with one last serve, I was playing "not to lose"

my opponent hit the most amazing shot to skim the edge of the baseline and change the angle of the ball...

Game Over 21-19

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I have a very deadly cut serve, and a very good fake, to where people don't know what is coming, and I can take advantage, I used to win more than 90% of my service points.

I was playing this one tournement where I was ranked 2nd, and it was the semi finals, this guy who had never beaten me was up 20-19 in the third and final game.

There was a crowd around the tables, and we were both sweating like mad, he served I returned, he hit a ticker off the side of the table towards the back, and raised his hands and started jumping up and down.

I dove to my right and caught it about a foot off the ground and flicked it down the line for a winner with his hands still in the air.

Best shot of my life and I won 22-20.....

I can still feel the wind sucked out of his sails...lol.

The last company I was at had a table, and I had not picked up a bat in 5+ years....they had a tournament and had a winner, when I came on at the office I challenged him and beat him 21-12...he could not return my serve.

I did lose to the next tournament winner in the office though, he was left handed, and I needed to adjust, but didn't I think I can get him if we play again.

DD

#45 DaDakota, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  6. RocketForever

RocketForever Member

That's super impressive. :eek:

7. professorjay

professorjay Member

That's great! Another active, serious player on the board. Does Killerspin's presence there have any effect? Do you see Lupi or Karakasevic around?

8. LAFIRMA22

LAFIRMA22 Member

It seems like DD knows how to play everything.... knows everyone....gives his views in everything...I think this guy is a big dreamer.

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

That reminded me of the tramampoline episode of The Simpsons...

[​IMG]

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

They do.

[​IMG]

Long time