1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who here plays ping pong?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Two Sandwiches, Nov 16, 2010.

Tags:
  1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

When I was a little kid, I used to play a ton at a neighbors house. In high school, we finally got a table of our own. Unfortunately, when I went to college, my parents left it outside for numerous months for some reason. Of course the rain and weather conditions warped and ruined the table.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

Chinese call it Ping Pong.

3. Fyreball

Fyreball Member

I have a cousin and a niece who are both ranked nationally in India. Needless to say, yeah, I play. :)

4. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

im good at beer pong.

5. Mr. Brightside

Who cares about China. The sport wasn't invented there. Show some respect.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

Forrest Gump invented the sport and he brought it to China.

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

they own the sport. They also own you. Show some respect.

8. Chinahype

Chinahype Member

CaseyH is correct. Chinese own in ping pong ... if you take a look at some African olympic teams, their national ping pong team only consists of Chinese people :eek:

To OP: My dad and I play in our garage sometimes. He is involved in some tournaments and they use a national ranking based on some point system. I could ask him for you if you want.

9. kevC

kevC Member

We have a ping pong table where I work which is pretty much the only form of entertainment during lunch so I was semi-forced to pick it up. I've improved quite a bit in six months or so and I think the improvement has been rising exponentially recently because of the Asian genes kicking in.

10. joesr

joesr Member

I try to play. But I dont do that fast style stuff

11. AMS

AMS Member

Ping Pong / Table Tennis is awesome!

I play any chance I get.

12. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

i say, with all due modesty, that I am one of the great neo-con ping pong players.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I was ranked in my 20s, won the college singles title at SWT and the doubles as well, lost in the regional finals in singles and won the regionals in doubles, but couldn't go play the next tourney at state, had to work......loved playing table tennis have a few bats lying around in storage.....

Very fun game, and you can work up a sweat....probably need to introduce my kids to it.

DD

#33 DaDakota, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  14. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Member

Play pingpong at school about 2-3 times a week.

Play penhold, definitely more of a spin/finesse player than a power player.

15. stonegate_archer

I am rated 2150 (USATT), wondering if I am the best here...it is a great sport

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

This may sound weird, but I would pay good money to see a video of you playing ping-pong in college.

17. dback816

dback816 Member

Yea got a ping pong table too.

College had a ping pong club as well.

I'm not as good as I used to be though, since there's no time to play regularly anymore.

18. AMS

AMS Member

damn, thats pretty nice...The highest I was is probably 1200 :grin:

19. professorjay

professorjay Member

There's a good chance you're right. Where do you live? Do you still play regularly?

I've managed to jump from 1750 to 1900 the past few months only playing once a week and my next closest competition at my club being a 1750 player. I'm hoping to break the magic 2000 barrier in the next few.

20. Nero

Nero Member

Haven't played in a few years, but when I was younger it was one of the great joys.. when you are playing, and not necessarily trying to tennis-smash every shot, but just trying to artfully return the ball every time, you can actually get into a kind of zen-like state, your body just sort of automatically plays the game for you and your mind can just do other things.. I remember once at a lock-in when I was young, a friend of mine and I played while everyone else was watching a movie, so the room was dark. Amazingly, once you get into a zone, you can play ping pong in near total darkness, your body will hear it and react.

But yeah, even now, I can pick up the paddle and whup up on just about anyone who is not a "serious" player, and they are always surprised because you wouldn't know it to look at me.

And I am not one of those 'speed smasher' type players, putting maximum effort into every shot. My game is more about spins and placement.. you can make one of those freakazoid players have to run back and forth like crazy while standing in one spot.. LOL