1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who here plays ping pong?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Two Sandwiches, Nov 16, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I might catch a lot of flak for this, but I don't care. I know it's not a "manly" sport and all, but whatever.

I bought my house about five months ago, and installed a ping pong area in my basement. Ever since then, I play a few times a week in my basement. Now, I'm getting a little better, and I might actually even join a table tennis club.

I was just wondering if anyone else out there is a ping ponger, and if so, how often do you play? Not beer pong. Table Tennis.

Bring on the smart comments.

2. YaosDirtyStache

Ping Pong? Hopefully you are already married or committed because this is the end of the line for you.

3. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

probably 1 or 2 times a month at my friend's house.

4. Two Sandwiches

Married.

She's pretty decent, too.

I already drew many comparisons to Forest Gump, so I figured I might as well take up ping pong.

5. VanityHalfBlack

Asian??

1 person likes this.
  6. Jontro

Jontro Member

I used to play ping pong my first semester at UH, back in 2003. I spent 80% of my time at UH at the UC hittin them tables like it was the coolest **** in this world.

But then I learned about the rec center and dumped the UC. Besides they have a free table at the rec.

7. Two Sandwiches

If you count being Thai as being Asian.

Just kidding. I'm as white as they come. Which I think explains some of my struggles in my quest to conquer the game thus far.

8. moose

moose Member

Love ping pong. I'm not super good or anything, but I am decent. I just started playing early this year.

9. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

What kind of handle do you use? 'Shakehand' or 'Penhold'?

And the ......'rubber'? <- Just in case, I am not referring to condom here.

10. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

11. Two Sandwiches

Shakehand.

I use an old 20 dollar paddle from Sears. My rubbers are wearing off. (Swloy ;) ).

And that picture from Balls of Fury (which, I sadly have never seen)...he kind of looks like me...only a little bit cooler.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I play whenever I have friends over. Especially when Girls come over. Bet way to loosen them up. I haven't played in a while though.

13. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

Did you seriously just ask a board full of YoFs if they play ping pong?

14. Two Sandwiches

I was hoping to actually turn an off-beat topic into potential thread of the year, based on pure debate hilarity.

15. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

It's called table tennis. Show some respect.

16. Two Sandwiches

I debated on using table tennis instead of ping pong in my post. I decided to up my cred by using ping pong. Deep down, I got mad respect though.

17. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

Havent played since high school but would love to get back into it.

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

I knew a guy who held his paddle like a viking, grabbed it like one would hold his willy before self sexy time session, but the paddle is upside down. He was really good though.

19. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Ugh, here it goes...I'm coming out of the closet...

The local club in my area only has one night a week, so that's how often I play. I've played competitively on and off since I was a kid, but the past year I've made a real effort to get my rating up (if you play USATT tournaments, there's a national rating system to rank players) and I've actually jumped up a bit higher than I expected over the past few months.

To tie it into Clutchfans, here's video of Brian Pace (he's played professionally in Europe, and whom I've had a training session with) giving a lesson to Rick Carlisle while the Mavs visited the Heat last year.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_IAZL1WRsIs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_IAZL1WRsIs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Anyways, if you're having fun with it I highly encourage you to check out your local club. There's usually a wide range of levels and you'll be able to find some new people to play. Depending on the club, you'll probably find some who can help improve your game too. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

BTW, you can search youtube for more of Brian's videos. He sells videos, but I think he offers some free tips and advice on YouTube too.

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I used to be pretty good. Every day after high school, I played table tennis with a couple of Asian guys at their house. We played until we got too tired.

Speaking of coming out of the closet, here is what usually makes people laugh: I played badminton a lot with friends in high school (at our homes, not AT the high school). It's actually a very exhaustive sport when played competitively. It requires a lot of strength and athleticism (and is very macho). I mentioned this at a work several years ago and folks at the job never let me live it down. They had no idea.