1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Who has the best GM?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by supdudes, Aug 10, 2012.

?

Who's the best GM?

1. Cupcakes

36.7%
  2. Godfather

16.3%
  3. Sam the man

20.4%
  4. Morey

26.5%
  1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Kupchak is undoubtedly a very very good GM, but the LA factor has to be noted. Without it, he's just another GM for another team - maybe turns his team into the Thunder, but more unlikely than likely.

GM'ing is like coaching. If you have the right organization around you (right ownership, right city), you're a good GM. See Danny Ainge for proof.

How'd that work out?

You mean he did ok trading the league's best center and one of the league's best players? Good for him! Shaq went on to win another championship. I don't think Kupchak got the better end of the deal or anything.[/quote]

Great moves.

Maybe. Or maybe he just didn't get equal value back, so there was no trade to be had. I think the rumor than was a Jason Kidd pickup. And for all we know, that might have worked really well. And consider, Pau fell into their laps a few months later.

Legendary for how bad it was for Memphis - even in hindsight today with how Marc has turned out, it was a horrid trade. But to Kupchak's credit, he made the deal and no one else did.

Artest is overpaid. On any other squad his contract would be a dead weight. The Lakers can can handle it.

Nash wanted to play for the Lakers. This was about Phoenix wisely deciding to get something for Nash instead of nothing.

2. atomicanderz

atomicanderz Member

Masai Ujiri has to be considered.

3. cyntil8ing

cyntil8ing Member

Rookie evaluation and acquisition: Buford or Morey.
    Super Friends Acquistion: Riley then Kupchak.

4. cyntil8ing

cyntil8ing Member

Ah yes, completely slipped my mind. Thanks for the reminder.
    Special mention to this guy. In his limited sampling size, he pull off some great acquisitions and trades and hat's off to possibly the best return for a perceived franchise player during his rookie year. That was probably the best trial-by-fire outcome one could have been expected.

If he keeps up his pace, this guy's going to give any GM fits and chew on lesser ones, if he's hasn't already.

5. clos4life

clos4life Member

Pat brought the big 3 together and has been a champ his whole life. Mitch has been able to leverage being in LA to his advantage year in and out. Presti got lucky on landing KD and then drafted well with westbrook and Harden.

I think Morey has done well with the cards he has been dealt but right now it's like this.

Mitch
    Pat
    Presti
    Morey
    And on the bottom 5 GMs of the league stands "Robbed" Hennigan.

6. da_juice

da_juice Member

Buford. He got lucky with Duncan, but plucked Manu and Parker from nowhere.

7. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Kupchak is not a good GM, he gets everything handed to him. I am sure if you put him with the Bobcats, they will get nowhere.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Isiah Thomas drafted Trevor Ariza. He played with the Knicks and Magic first. Somehow got him for Brian Cook and Maurice Evans.

Ron Artest wasn't really a bargain pickup, they gave him extra years and player option.

McRoberts? He played 16 total minutes in the playoffs. A modern day Luke Walton.

He also traded Caron Butler for Kwame Brown. Traded a 1st round pick for Chris Mihm (pick was used on Rajon Rondo).

Traded Shaq to Miami without getting Wade.

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Stephen Jackson
    Bruce Bowen
    Tiago Splitter (though he was actually highly regarded)
    Luis Scola (though they salary dumped him)
    George Hill
    Gary Neal

A host of other solid role players.

10. WEHTT90s

WEHTT90s Member

Sam Presti, followed by RC Buford. I gave Sam the edge because I think the success of SA has more to do with the coaching of Gregg Popovich. Rick Adelman, Jerry Sloan and Pop have been the best in recent years when it comes to overachieving with talent.

I wanted to say Mitch Kupchak, and not just because of the trades for Gasol and Howard. He didn't give up much for Ramon Sessions, while also getting rid of Luke Walton's contract. Jordan Farmar was a decent player, same for Brian Grant except he was declining. However, I agree about him having advantages by being in L.A. and other teams making bad decisions. One thing that upset teams and fans about the Gasol trade was that Memphis played hardball with other teams. If Orlando was going to play hardball, not wait until the trading deadline, and finally not get much in return, then more teams could have put a bid in for Dwight. They got a little bonus in the trade for Dwight by getting Chris Duhon, and Earl Clark who has potential. Aside from being in a big market, loaded teams will attract free agents easier.

11. shortylilboi

shortylilboi Member

after acquiring gasol and howard for peanuts u have to give it to mitch