1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who has cheap auto insurance?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CourtCourt, Sep 21, 2003.

1. CourtCourt

CourtCourt Member

I'm trying to look up "quick quotes" for different cars online, and the only place I know of is Nationwide. Which companies have cheap auto insurance? At Nationwide, insurance for me (18 years old) on a 1992 Chevy Lumina in Harris County will run close to $2,000 bucks every 6 months. Does that sound high to anyone else?

2. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

:eek:

Sounds Very high...That's 4K a year.

The Blue Book value for a '92 Lumina ranges from $2750 to $4350.

3. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

try progressive, try geico, try auto insurance discounters. Use google. I'm guessing you have some problem where you can't get state farm or aaa or usaa? Those are cheap and very common.

You don't need full coverage, unless you have a loan that demands it. If you can get by with liability only, do it. See post above - the car isn't worth much. Just go 100,300,100 with uninsured and pip.

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

CC,

Sounds like you have had some previous problems with tickets and/or accidents. 18 year old male drivers have some of the highest premiums, but they shouldn't be that high.

Definitalely stay away from your major carriers like Allstate, State Farm and Farmer's.

USAA is usually only available to people with ties to the military.

I would check with non-standard insurance companies like Progressive. In fact, I would put money on Progressive being your best bet.

5. drapg

drapg Member

If you're under your parents name and still paying that much, you must be the worst driver ever.

6. CourtCourt

CourtCourt Member

It wasn't exactly $2,000, but around the upper $1700's... I have no tickets, no accidents. Nothing bad. Maybe I'll try Progressive.

7. CourtCourt

CourtCourt Member

whats that mean?

8. codell

You are getting ripped off then.

9. CourtCourt

CourtCourt Member

10. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Are you driving a tank or something? Good God, unless you're driving a H2, this is rediculous.

11. codell

If you don't have any prior tickets or accidents, then you must have piss poor credit.

12. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Codell is calling you a dead beat. I dare you to do something about that.

13. CourtCourt

CourtCourt Member

If I had good credit at 18 years old... why would I want a 92' lumina? Is that the "car" that is in style now with the young folks that everyone wants?

#13 CourtCourt, Sep 21, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2003
  14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I didn't know there was such a thing as cheap auto insurance.

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Dude, luminas are the bomb! or, er, ... the bombs!

[​IMG]
    Since they are premium racing vehicles, and since your name is suspiciously "courtcourt," this explains your high premiums.

16. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Get put under your family's policy if they will let you. You'll have to pay them the money, but it's well worth it.

17. CourtCourt

CourtCourt Member

I don't have a family. I do, but I just moved to Houston from out of state...... Ive been here since May, and I still have a NC license.... I can still drive here (my g/f's car) w/ a N.C. license as long as its under her name... but I have to get my license changed when I get my own car. She needs her car for school and everything, and its a newer car... and I just need a POS to get to work and back home from.

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

19. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Go to the Texas Department of Insurance web site. You will find info about auto insurance, including a rate guide for each of the counties in Texas. Here is a link:Rate Guide

Go to the link and select Harris county. You will find different rates for different types of drivers. You would be considered a "Driver B". You will find a list of insurance companies and the approximate rates they would charge you for liability insurance for one year. You will also find their 1-800 phone numbers. It looks like you should be able to find somthing for around $1500 per year.

20. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

there are dollar limits on insurance, by risk : property damage, personal injury, and combined single limit ( mulitiple people and property damaged). The minimums are pretty low. Hit a mercedes and you're screwed. They max the insurance and then come after you. You're bankrupt pronto. Higher limits with an umbrella are good, if you have anything or any future to protect. On the other hand, if you owe more than you'll ever have ... roll them dice! They can't get what you don't have.

Pip is an acronym for personal injury protection. There are insurance guys here who can give you more on that. If you have a passenger injured, or if you are injured, you may want that.

Uninsured motorist gives you limited coverage when an uninsured driver hits you. A must have in Texas. Many, many uninsured drivers out there.

Good luck with the buy. Nice to read rip van's post.