1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who Has a Better History of Big Men? LA Lakers or Houston Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jun 17, 2013.

?

Who Has a Better History of Big Men? LA Lakers or Houston Rockets

1. Lakers

66.7%
  2. Rockets

33.3%
  1. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Typical tinmoron response. Sampson played less than four seasons worth of games and only had two good seasons for the Rockets. Yao actually played his entire career here and played at a higher level than Sampson ever did.

Yao >>>>> Sampson

2. FearTheBeardJH

Kareem, Wilt and Shaq are top 5 centers of all time. It's not even close.

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Then you must have missed it because Shaq never dominated an NBA MVP Center like this:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hW4uXlRGAF0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Your welcome for the education.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Which is why Ralph Sampson averaged 11 boards, over 21 points, more than two blocks, and more than 2 assists his rookie and second years, numbers Yao, who I loved dearly as a Rocket, didn't begin to approach until his 4th season. I think your comment is wildly off-base, with all due respect. You obviously didn't see him play.

5. crash5179

Lakers absolutely has a great history of big men. No argument there. I just think the Rockets have a legit claim as the team with the best big men.

6. ooox

ooox Member

Calm down Mr. 32,000 post aka I have no life. I was stating a fact. 2004 Ben Wallace was the only all-star on that team.

7. ooox

ooox Member

And Clyde is a hall of famer. Otis Thorpe was a all-star in 92. What's your point? The other guy stated "Hakeem is the only player in the game who won a championship without another all star" which is a false statement.

8. crash5179

I struggled with that one. Who was better Ralph or Yao. Both had shortened careers with injuries. Sampson did have a few things that Yao did not, rookie MVP, All-Star Game MVP, Hit the winning shot to send the Rockets to the championship, HOF.

And you are wrong about only 2 good years with the Rockets. It was his 3rd when the Rockets went to the Championship. 19 ppg, 1.7 bpg, 11 rpg and 3.6 apg is hardly a bad season.

Yao is one of my favorite players of all time. If you think he was better I have no issue with that. But lets not bash one Rockets player to try and prove a point about another Rockets player.

9. BarreKellyJr

BarreKellyJr Member

This brings back so many memories. I was 8 years old doing this series. My mom sat me and my brother in front of the tv and told us this is what men watch . I seen The Dream-Shake for the first time and was like whoa, Hakeem did it again I was like this is beautiful and this 4-0 sweep made me a Rockets fan ever since.

1 person likes this.
  10. crash5179

Wilt is a top 5 center based on what he did when he was not with the Lakers.

Moses and Dream are top 5 centers based on what they did with the Rockets.

11. crash5179

So your saying the Detroit team had more all-stars than the Rockets teams that won the championship. Gotcha down. Thanks for helping to prove Decks point.

12. ooox

ooox Member

Reading comprehension isn't your strongest suit, is it buddy?

13. BarreKellyJr

BarreKellyJr Member

14. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

I'd love to hear slestack11's thoughts on this. :grin:

15. crash5179

...and writing isn't yours, but I can understand that Deckard's point was that Hakeem had less help than any other player on a championship team. Billups, Hamilton, Wallace (Rasheed and Ben) all made several all-star teams even if only Ben made it that season.

Hakeem was the Rockets only all-star in 94 and Thorpe the only other all star caliber player. You seem to be missing THAT point.

16. BarreKellyJr

BarreKellyJr Member

Did anybody notice Robert Horry has the most rings who was never in a Boston uniform?

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do you even know why Sampson played four seasons ?
    You think Yao could burden the 4th quarter against the 86 lakers when dream is thrown out of the game ?

Don't act like you even saw him play cause from your response you obviously didn't .

Save the real analysis for the fans who witnessed.

18. crash5179

I'm a big Horry fan but rings do not make you one of the best big men from the Lakers or the Rockets.

19. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

We had the greatest big man from the greatest big man era.

Huge bonus for drafting ours: Hayes, Olajuwon, Sampson, Yao.

I don't think the Lakers drafted any of their greats.

1 person likes this.