1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who gets the back-up PG spot this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jul 30, 2014.

1. bmd

bmd Member

Is it going to be Ish Smith?

Or do you guys think it's going to be Canaan?

2. HakeemOnlyFan

HakeemOnlyFan Member

I would think we'd go with Canaan simply for Ish's inability to hit the 3. But who knows.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Beverley ;)

#3 RV6, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I don't think we know for sure just yet. I'd say Canaan is the leading candidate, but he played like a Quad-A player last year as a rookie... too good for D-League, not yet ready for the pros. He just looked a little small and lost out there.

But in year two, give him Lin's minutes and I don't think he does any worse -- and at a fraction of the cost. I like Nick Johnson getting some combo guard minutes later in the year as well. We'll see how he does for RGV out of the gate.

The Rockets may want someone more seasoned as a point though, so I don't think we know the answer yet.

5. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I hope it's Johnson, because if that's the case it means he's a lot better than expected.

We will have problems if it is Canaan or Smith.

6. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I get the feeling we've still got several things in play. I'm not quite on the Plowman bandwagon of a Dragic deal in the works, but I do believe we have a backup point guard and back up three waiting in the wings as we try to pull the trigger on a trade that could change the dynamic.

My gut tells me Marion and Sessions with Marion being a near lock and Sessions being a fall back if we can't trade for a PG. But instead of looking at Dragic, I'm betting they are looking for a current backup that is in the vein of Lowry when he was with Memphis.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't know who they'd get, but I have a feeling we'll acquire a backup PG. Because we're very weak at that position right now.

If it stays as is, I'll go with Canaan - at least to start the year. But Nick Johnson will likely take the spot before too long.

8. bmd

bmd Member

Agree with all of that. How much have you seen of Ish Smith?

He looks extremely fast on the break and seems to have great court-vision... something that is a big plus on a team that likes to run like the Rockets. His FG% was good last year as well... but his 3pt% is bad. I hear he's also a good defensive player.

All I'm going off of is stats and highlight videos. I didn't really seen him play last year.

9. NotChandlerParsons

Yeah, I'm gonna go with as-yet-undermined point guard. I'm not convinced Canaan/Johnson can run the point well enough without Harden on the floor, and Smith can't do anything other than run the point.

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I think Canaan of course gets chances, but really I think Smith is going to be the main backup. Smith has proven he can be a backup, Canaan hasn't.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think Canaan starts out as the backup if no other PGs are added. Johnson could make things interesting later in season.

12. arjun

arjun Member

Ish Smith seems like a great 3rd string pg who can come in on nights where we look DEAD and just change the pace and bring some energy to the team.

He can get to the paint, create for others, and really excels in transition. I don't see him being able to play big rotation minutes due to our need for 3pt shooting.

If Canaan can also be a playmaker, get to the lane, and play D...his 3pt shooting will earn him the spot over Smith.

I am still crossing my fingers that the true backup ends up being Pat Bev :)

13. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

That is what I'm hoping.

With McHale's lack of Xs and Os playmaking, we really need someone out there who knows what they are doing.

If it's Canaan or Johnson or Smith, we're toast.

14. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

The back-up PG will be the next player Morey signs or trades.

At least I hope so!

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Beverley knows what he is doing. He passes it to Harden. As far as smart decision making goes, this is probably a huge positive no matter where Harden is on the court. A playmaking PG probably doesn't pass to Harden as much which probably is poor decision making for all PGs, except a small minority.

16. cdastros

cdastros Member

Ish Smith Creates and facilitates ball movement and body movement. He will help fill the void chandler parsons left behind in that department. Ish Smith will be the backup PG because when he is on the floor, the ball is not sticky.

17. arjun

arjun Member

he can't shoot 1/30 from 3 pt again this season, if he hasn't improved his jumper he won't be a permanent part of the rotation.

we don't have enough knock down shooters on the wings as is..

18. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

It's going to be my 2K My Player

19. NotChandlerParsons

I actually thought PatBev was a solid P&R guard his first season, and we didn't get to see much of that because his job second season was entirely passing to Harden/Howard and spot up 3s. He has good court vision -- tends to take dumb floaters but otherwise passable. I am still worried we don't have a 3rd playmaker.

20. Roxoff

Roxoff Member

The Rox are usually a 3 ball team, but I think adding the dimension of a good inside shooter could throw a mean wrench into the opposing defenses. Just giving them a different look.