1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who Gets Cut?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Moonscope, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

wasn't capela picked because he thought he could stash him?

2. djperm

djperm Contributing Member

Rox must keep Adrien & Black. I hope the Rox give Dorsey more time. Despite their recent injuries and rust, Dorsey should be able to contribute more right now then Capela...(wassoponning?!?) I take no pleasure in writing this but we gotta keep them to rock on!

#302 djperm, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Capela I guess was picked before Lebron was rumored to leave and Bosh was rumored to allegedly sign here

GM went from picking undersized but NBA ready youngs to good sized raw players. (still picking undersized Dleaguers meanwhile)

4. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

as with all young players, I think canaan just needs time on the floor to get going. ish though he started off well in preseason hasn't looked that good the past two games. last game he went into hero ball and just went 1-1 drive to hoop and brick early in the shot clock. canaan definitely can score. if he could work on passing more, then that would probabky suffice for now.

5. dragician

dragician Member

Black is absolutely a keeper.

6. JH13

JH13 Member

Can't cut Adrien. Love his hustle!

1 person likes this.
  7. Chamillionaire

Black and Dorsey both suck and probably shouldn't even be rotational players in the league, but we do need a backup for Dwight. I hope we pick someone up in a trade. Maybe Mozgov since they have like 3 or 4 centers depending on what Hickson plays.

8. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Capela was supposed to be our Eurostash to make room for a max sign like Bosh, but he hopped on a plane and got on our front door step. You have to admire his eagerness to play. After all the foot dragging with Sergio Llull, it's nice to see a kid with a "now or never" attitude.

Clint Capela is going to be very, very.....very good for us IMO. I'm sold on this WARP projection, sabremetric stuff.

Read up on this: http://www.sonicscentral.com/warp.html
    WARP is a baseball moneyball stat translated to the basketball world by Kevin Pelton, a one-time consultant for the Pacers. WARP projections had Nerlen Noels as #1 last year. This year it was Marcus Smart as #1 highest WARP at 3.6 , with Clint Capela close behind at #2 with 3.4 projection.

ESPN's Brad Doolittle did a top 10 projections for the 2014-2015 season for each position. It's ESPN Insider stuff so I can't read it, but it shows the #1 at each position.
    If you made a team with the #1 highest 2014-2015 WARP projections at each position the team would be:

Chris Paul
    James Harden
    Lebron James
    Anthony Davis
    Andre Drummond

Anyways, stat and analyst geeks were raving about Capela as the darkhorse steal of the draft.

I don't think he's as raw as everyone just automatically defaults to. I could see him playing for the Vipers up until ASW and then getting called up.

Yeah I'm hyped on Capela!

#308 cdrive, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  9. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Eff it, make the final cut Garcia. We need to trade him for a 2nd round pick or something.

10. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

It's a 2 year contract. I highly doubt anyone is going to do us a solid and pay for our mistake without something nice in return. As time goes on, you might get the price down to a 2nd but not right now.

11. Zbed

Zbed Member

Will Capela even play in preseason?

12. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

13-Man Roster
    Francisco Garcia $1,316,809
    Ishmael Smith $915,243
    Jeff Adrien $981,084
    Isaiah Canaan $816,482
    Troy Daniels $816,482
    Tarik Black $507,336

D-League
    Clint Capela $1,189,20
    Nick Johnson $507,336

Cut
    Joey Dorsey $948,163
    Ishmael Smith $915,243
    Akil Mitchell -$507,336
    Robert Covington $816,482
    Josh Powell $1,310,286

Backcourt rotation
    I don't think we are going to have a choice but to play Harden at PG a little bit, since I don't trust Canaan yet (or Ish Smith)

The rotation for each half would be roughly something like:

Beverly and Harden - first 8 minutes
    Harden and Terry/Daniels - next 6 minutes
    Beverly and Terry/Daniels - next 5 minutes
    Beverly and Harden - last 5 minutes

#312 DCkid, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Would definitely keep Adrien and Black over DMo. DMo's spot on the team shouldn't be guaranteed, if we're only talking about performance.

14. dragician

dragician Member

do you have numbers to back this up?

15. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

So when is the first cut due?

T_Man

16. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

whoops

17. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

Ish must have a secret State Farm twin and the nerdy one is getting cut.

You got to wonder if Canaan will be the first PG of the bench in the next 4 preseason games. At this point it seems to be a tossup between he and Ish.

18. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

you read my mind

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

So, question for you guys....

If this ends up being the case, and the Rockets really do choose Black and Adrien over Dorsey, would it be better to try and move Dorsey along with maybe a 2nd rounder attached in order to shed his guaranteed $ for next season?

Its only a million dollars guaranteed next year, but every million might count if they are in the free agency hunt, and it might be the difference in having to move another player or players to get that extra million needed in cap space.

Can't always just be looking at this year. Have to look at the future. Could the Rockets spare a 2nd rounder to get that assurance? I dunno myself. I'm slightly torn, and think to myself that both Adrien and Black are going to have to significantly outplay Dorsey in these next few games to both get a spot on the roster.

(also not ruling out Garcia getting waived as well).

20. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

The Rockets could also send out cash with him(assuming they haven't used up their allowed cash yet).