1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who Gets Cut?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Moonscope, Oct 9, 2014.

1. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Isn't Dorsey guaranteed money? That makes it harder to cut him, even if Black is thoroughly outplaying him.

2. finsraider

finsraider Member

Exactly.

People.......DORSEY WILL NOT BE CUT. Cutting him would needlessly endanger our cap room next year.

Be patient. Things will work themselves out. Don't be surprised to see a trade sometime before the season starts to clear some of this up.

3. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

I don't see the point of keeping Capela if he won't be able to contribute this year. Trade him and keep Adrien and Black.

If Terry was able to be included in trades with other players before mid-November, this would be so much easier. Players that may not have otherwise been cut will be cut to keep him on just to trade him later.

A package of Terry's expiring, Jones, Capela and NO's 1st should net a pretty good PF.

4. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

I'm hoping that dorsey is just rusty. he really seemsile the old clueless Dorsey. he did play some good perimeter defense on davis when he was on the elbow though

5. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I dunno? Would they rather turn the back-up center duties over to a 6'7 2nd round pick who bounced out of the league and never cracked 20mpg in Europe? (mostly playing as a backup over there)

SURELY it is about who is producing more right now? And Black is showing more IMO.

(Is Motie not a chance of being the backup C?)

6. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

We have cut plenty of guys with guaranteed money before the season starts, it won't be an issue.

7. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Here's the thing...keeping Dorsey...cutting Dorsey...either way it will hurt the cap. He has negative value and can't be traded without a 1st or a very positive player. This year's cap is not an issue. So keeping the better player makes no difference. And next year's cap might not be an issue so why make a bad decision for a few bucks. If we need the cap then on that longshot star, we can trade our pick with him then. And keeping DMo or Dorsey for Dwight's backup wills be a disaster.

Here's 4 ways it can play out:
    1) Keep Black/Adrian and cut Dorsey. This year's cap is the same. More wins IMO. Next year if you keep Black/Adrian, then it will cost more but that is a choice tbd later.

2) Cut Blank/Adrian and keep Dorsey for trade fodder. This year's cap is the same. And if that trade never comes where you need his salary, we have dead weight at the end of the bench eating a back C spot we need. And nobody is going to give up someone good and take back a non expiring trash contract unless you really throw in a sweetener. And do we really want to get rid of another 1st to dump him?

3). Cut Black/Adrian and keep Dorsey until he's an expiring. Ok...a year and a half later if he still stinks he will still cost us a pick to unload or we have to take back a worse contract.

4) Cut Black/Adrian and keep Dorsey throughout his contract. Ugh..please tell me we're not that desperate to save a buck.

8. TheOozyMan

TheOozyMan Member

Can someone clarify something for me? I thought we only need to cut 3 and then we can send the other 2 to the D League?

I'd really hate to see Canaan go

9. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

I believe we are throwing Joey Dorsey under the bus a bit too fast. Remember who he is replacing: Omer Asik. I don't know about ya'll, but I held my breath every time he attempted a layup. Dorsey is not in there to score, he's in there to play defense, be a big body, hustle, and even be a foul magnet if we want to play physical.

On the flip side, I also believe we are giving Tarik Black too much credit. He is passing with flying colors on the eye test, but we have to remember that this is pre season and and he's not exactly going against the best competition. This is the Western Conference where every game matters (especially this year) and I feel less certain about Black fulfilling Asik's role than I do about Dorsey.

10. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

You didn't even mention rebounding among Dorsey's responsibilities. He needs to start rebounding immediately. Dorsey, too, is only facing preseason competition, and he's not looking too remarkable. (We did see him here a few years ago. . . .)

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...Papanikolaou-samples-new-position-5825582.php

2 players likely going to D-League

The Rockets have not announced any roster cuts, but Akil Mitchell and Robert Covington have not been with the team for several days, officially remaining on the roster long enough for the Rockets' Development League affiliate to have their rights if they don't land on an NBA roster.

When the Rockets do make those moves official, they would still have 18 roster players, requiring three more roster cuts.

Dorsey trying to get acclimated

With just two practices and limited time in two games since returning from foot and ankle ailments, Rockets center Joey Dorsey said in addition to knocking off rust, he has to get accustomed to a new set of teammates.

He said that led him to being too cautious Tuesday, and there was no mistaking the sense of relief when he dropped in a lefthanded hook in the second half at New Orleans.

"I have just been trying to figure out the guys on the team and not look for my shot," Dorsey said. "One of the coaches told me, 'Joey, just go out there and play. Do what you do. Do what you did in Europe.' I was like, 'OK, forget it. I am going to look to score. If I look to score and they double-team me, then I will kick it out for a shot.' That is the biggest thing."

12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

^^^ LOL

Dorsey is way over his head. Double team him? Dude either thinks his Shaq or thinks he is still playing against Euro scrubs

1 person likes this.
  13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

homey's expecting the double-teams to start comin now. okay.

14. Streets 01

Streets 01 Member

Except from all reports we've read, he's also killing it in practice. Assuming he occasionally plays other Rocket bigs in practice (*cough* Howard *cough*) I'd say that's some stiff competition. And even if he isn't battling Dwight he seems to be killing it against whatever other Rocket bigs he's facing as the praise seems to be focused on Black.

15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

C'mon man - he's been an offensive machine for years now. He's tallied close to 6ppg multiple times since college, and one of his 4 years there he was over 7ppg.

16. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

We have 20 players.
    NBA roster is 15 players.

Must cut 5.

Of the 5 we cut, our DLeague affiliate has 'rights' to eligible players as long as they do not make another NBA roster.
    However, even if our DLeague team signs them, we would still need to give them an NBA contract, and a spot on our 15 man roster, if we wanted them to set foot on an NBA court.

We can also assign 2 of our '15 man NBA roster' players to play for the DLeague team, however they are effectively 'loan' players, and still make up the NBA 15 man roster UNLESS we cut them (in which case any other team is welcome to sign them).

17. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Dorsey is on a minimum contract. There is no possibility that a 1st round pick would be required to dump him.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What is perplexing is when we were retooling before Harden and Howard we were drafting players with less upside but were ready to play (he traded for high lottery busts though)

But now that we have superstars, Morey selects players like Capela who are obviously not ready.

1 person likes this.
  19. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

maybe in europe where he probably manhandled the softies. ha ha

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dorsey is highly suspect - I think he can play some minutes on a non playoff contender but we should be a Top 5 team in the NBA! Period. Unless proven otherwise.