1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who Gets Cut?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Moonscope, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Dorsey has defended and rebounded effectively at the center position in the regular season. Black is making a push to make the team, but I don't think he will push Dorsey off the team unless the injury really looks to hamper Dorsey long term...and then it is more on Dorsey than on Black. Dorsey may not be a world beater, but he is the least scary option as backup center. If Black makes team, Rockets will most likely have traded a PF.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

what? Dorsey was a marginal NBA player the first time with the Rockets and did not get much Playing Time. Did I miss something?

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Do you mean in Europe or his year with Toronto? I wouldn't necessarily say that year with Toronto (the only year he saw more than 7Mpg) qualifies him for any guarantees 3 years later.

I liked what I saw from Dorsey "at times" when he was with the Rockets in his previous stint, but "at times" was almost always in short stints, in the preseason, or during garbage time. He was sidelined most of the last season with the Rockets with the same injury he's still dealing with now.

However its besides the point. The fact is him and Black are virtually the same size, and do virtually the same exact thing on the court. Dorsey has more experience, but you can't just make assumptions based on experience.

The way I look at it, the Rockets coaches and staff have a month to make a decision and its pretty clear that you find a way to take the better of the two player at the end of the month. Its as simple as that unless something unforeseen happens like a Garcia/Adrien injury, or someone like Garcia/Canaan/etc. makes a case for them NOT being on an NBA roster.

Dorsey has time to show he's a better player than Black, and show he can keep his foot healthy enough to last 82 games+. Let's just wait and see how this month plays out.

4. yao2kmart

yao2kmart Member

Francisco Garcia has to go! I've seen enough bricks from him and not enough swissh. It's time for Daniels to take those shots. Black is the new Ben Wallace of the League, a MUST KEEPER! Time to build up the new asset Johnson then trade him like we traded Jeremy Lamb and get our next star.

Francisco Garcis must be cut!

1 person likes this.
  5. Pete the Cheat

[​IMG]

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

hes definitely not chuck hayes on defense haha

7. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Mitchell, Covington, (Smith or Garcia...idc), Dorsey and Powell

1 person likes this.
  8. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Black will get the Parsons treatment he's playing Immediately.

9. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

It's looking like this team is going to need Dmo to play backup center minutes again this year. Dorsey has not looked good and Adrien is the kind of guy you want off the bench

10. NotChandlerParsons

I had Adrien and Black down as cuts but I'm not so sure anymore. We'll see.

11. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

I'm agreeing with daywalker02, Dorsey wasn't that effective in his first stint with the rockets.

12. benchmoochie

This is what I think too. If Ish gets cut and passes through waivers, then he will probably be added to the Vipers unless other teams have interest.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Toronto for NBA experience. Dorsey rebounded well and anchored the defense while providing no offense. Granted, it could have been Bargs as Toronto went from absolutely horrible defensively to fringe average with Dorsey in. 3 preseason games are not close to enough of a sample to judge Black as being capable of defending like Dorsey.

You have a point on injuries. Dorsey may not be fit to play. If Dorsey is fit to play and doesn't have any lingering off the court issues, he will win a spot on Rockets by default. Maybe Black is super impressive in camp, but the games have not shown me he can be trusted to be the backup center defensively.

I think Black is fighting more with the PFs than he is with Dorsey for the 15th spot.

14. benchmoochie

Ok per 36 min stats Dorsey had close to rebounding averages with Reggie Evans. Dorsey only averaged 12 min a game compared to Evans 24 min.

15. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Ish is a vet and still can be a rotation guy in many NBA teams, no way he will be playing in the Viper, worse scenario he can find a job in Europe or China easily and actually making more than the NBA min.

16. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Mitchell, Covington, Powel - Gone.

Ish vs Canaan, 90% chance one of them will be gone, 0% both will be gone.
    Dorsey - 90% safe just because his 2 year guarantee contract.
    Adrien - 90% safe because of his performance in 3 games.
    Nick Johnson / Capela / Daniel / Papa - 100% safe.
    Dmo & TJ - you will be dumb to even consider the Rockets cutting them.
    Terry - 99% safe because of his contract.

Black - on the bubble
    Garcia - one foot out of the door already.

So,

if no trades,

the last 2 will be cut : Garcia + Black/Canaan/Ish

if there will be trades,

- the most likely could happen : Rockets dump Canaan to 76ers/Lakers for nothing in return, keep Ish, and cut black + Garcia.

I have a very hard time to see Morey will cut Dorsey regardless how Black will perform or how bad Dorsey will look in the preseason.

The only way Black will stay in this rotation - Morey somehow pull a big one and will ship either Dmo or TJ out.

In short, I think Garcia is all but done as a Rockets no matter what will happen.

17. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Lolwut?

18. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Correction to above : the only way Black will stay in this rotation IF Garcia will stay as a Rockets.

1 person likes this.
  19. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

I am probably mind forked today : the most likely could happen : Rockets dump Canaan to 76ers/Lakers for nothing, keep Ish and Black, and cut Garcia.

20. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Yup - though a trade would be nice.