1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who else is for Wilcox at PF?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by forchette49, Jun 29, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Barkley

Barkley Member

Well said. Battier is our guy and we can't trade him. Probably we could get Wilcox wit Alston+Head and somebody trade.

2. The Brian

The Brian Member

head has to be packaged to entice seattle.

not sure we can pull it off.

however, this would be awesome because he solves our pf problem.

3. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

wilcox sucks and we aren't getting him.

end of story.

4. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

^^what makes him suck?

5. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

This bbs will always be torn down the middle I guess, no matter who we may sign, trade for or draft...

6. Baller68112

Baller68112 Member

Yeah, and who else do we realistically have a shot at getting that is as good or better than Wilcox? I mean he's not an all star but he's definitely a quality player and a deserved starter. BTW do we realistically have a shot at getting Wilcox? I mean I know I read an article that said we were gonna offer Seattle something for him but are they gonna be interested in anybody we have?

7. rocketsfaninsa

We have a temporary solution: James Singleton was just released by the Clippers, and so was Daniel Ewing. Singleton is now basically free for us considering before it was rumored to cost us JL3. I hope we bring in Ewing for a shot on our team. He is a local guy and might play his way onto the team.

8. prodigy08

prodigy08 Clutchfans Lurker

9. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I'm sure they wouldn't mind trading Wilcox but because of the draft I'm really confused as to what the hell they're doing now.

They drafted Kevin Durant and Jeff Green and I think its very possible that they resign Reshard Lewis since they dumped Ray Allen's contract.

Now they have 2 (possibly 3) 6-9/6-10 guys who all play the SF spot and none of which are true power forwards. Thus making that original Battier for Wilcox trade seem ridiculous because I seriously doubt they need another SF and Jeff Green really seems like he'll become a Shane Battier type player.

So I have no idea what they would want, but they're going to have to play one of those guys at the PF spot because I think they'll have so much trouble on the defensive end if they're stuck guarding the Kobe Bryants and Dwyane Wades of the world.

10. Barkley

Barkley Member

Can you tell me why?

11. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

12. Barkley

Barkley Member

Heh. Good post.

13. bjshot

bjshot Member

Desperate to win something?

14. therox3

therox3 Member

He's all right. I wouldn't give up Battier for him though (nor would the sonics want him at this point). The sonics are going in a new direction now so it's not entirely clear how Wilcox would fit into their new plan.

I think people need to realize that we A: aren't going to be getting an all-star PF and B: we don't need one in order to be contenders, just someone who can rebound, be a decent defender, and score a little bit. No matter who we get they're not going to be a go to scorer.

15. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Yeah I dont really mind getting Wilcox either. He's not allstar material by any stretch, he doesn't block any shots which is absurd for a guy with his athleticism (even Stro could do this) and he doesn't have a jump shot.

But he's been averaging about 13-8 in Seattle which is definitely better than anything we've had in a long time. And he's still young, so he can definitely get better.

And here's a highlight clip of him.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0ks6Kaal_bk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0ks6Kaal_bk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

16. akuma

akuma Member

this thread just sums up the conundrum the situation the Rockets are in. many people here really want Wilcox, who brings less overall than Battier brings to the table. he had a few good games, especially against the Battier-less Rockets (not that Battier would be guarding him), but Wilcox is not much of a shot-blocker or lock down defender, and on the offensive end isn't someone who can spread a defense. yet he costs $8 million+ a season.

so far i have concluded:

Rockets will not/can not pick up a starting caliber PF with a $5 million MLE.

other teams are not going to trade away their overpaid starting PF (are there any underpaid starting PFs?) for the Rockets scrubs.

they're not trading away their young developing PFs with potential either (Sheldon Williams, Diogu).

Battier is undervalued and you will never get equal value back just in terms of money, let alone intangibles like leadership, intelligence, heart, hustle, locker-room presence, et. all, or tangibles like defense and perimeter shooting.

regarding the draft, people need to be real. the Rockets tried to move up; they failed. once the draft hit the 20s, there was no real probability that a rotation player would be found, let alone a starting PF, PG or solid backup center. in other words, there was no one available that could really help the team win now. in other words, not even having a late pick in the first round or early second round would have made little difference in the Rockets rotation this season. that is unless, Brooks and Landry are truly hidden gems in the draft like Tony Parker, Gilbert Arenas or Zach Randolph. but i wouldn't put too much hope in that.

17. Mad Max

Mad Max Member

Can't we just get Tim Duncan at the 4 next year, and hope that Steve Nash opts out of his contract in 2 years time and then we'll be set!! :rolleyes: