1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who Else Is Fans of These Bands?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Manny Ramirez, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I was listening to (for the 2nd night in a row) "Mutter" by Rammstein. I can't stop getting the song "Spieluhr" out of my head!

Then I got to thinking: I wonder how many other people here are fans of them, let alone heard of them (I do know one person who has heard of them)?

Rammstein, for those of you who don't know, are a band from Germany that is classified roughly, "Industrial Metal". Think Metallica with some techno rhythms from time to time sung in German by a usually sinister-sounding guy! Granted, I have no idea what they are saying, but it has great riffs, beats, etc and I love it, especially the 2nd album, "Mutter".

Here are some other bands/groups that I wonder if people know about:

1) Delerium/Front Line Assembly (FLA)/Conjure One - I lumped all of these into one but Delerium (a group I have talked about here before) is the brainchild of Bill Leeb as well as FLA. The differences are that FLA is more Industrial while Delerium is more like Enigma in world music aka monks chanting with techno beats behind them. Conjure One is the name of the new project by Leeb's old partner in FLA and Delerium in Rhys Fulber and is very similar to an album that Delerium would have put out.

2) Lagwagon - a pretty good punk band in my mind that reminds me somewhat of Pennywise and NOFX (2 other bands that many may not be familiar with)

3) KMFDM - another Industrial act from Germany led by several guys including Raymond "Pig" Watts (at one time). Pig makes Marilyn Manson, Trent Reznor, etc sound like wusses. Their best album is "Nihil", IMO, and is a very aggressive album. I think they are the ones that got all the bad press because they along with Marilyn Manson were what those kids listened to before the Columbine shootings.

4) Less Than Jake - another punk band but one that has ska in it. They have had several albums but "Losing Streak" is their best, IMO. Ska for those that don't know is punk that has horns in it. No Doubt, *at one time*, was ska as is The Mighty Mighty Bosstones. Rancid has some elements of ska in their stuff, as well.

5) VNV Nation - a band that is somewhat techno, somewhat industrial. I see them called "EBM" (which I think is Electronic Body Music) as well as gothic. Very dark rhythms with great bass and synthesizer lines. "Empires" was my first album I got by them and I think their best one.

Also, I know that several people here have heard of Massive Attack, like subtomic and DCKid.

I got their new CD last night, "100th Window". I haven't finished listening all the way through it yet, but it is a weird album. Reminds of this analogy - "100th Window" is like "Kid A" by Radiohead as "Mezzanine" was to "OK Computer". It is like Rober Del Naja (3-D) was on some serious acid when he did this album! Horace Andy (who has been on the previous 3 MA albums) is on this as is Sinead O'Connor (who ironically appears on Conjure One's CD). If you liked "Mezzanine", then you will want to pick this album up.

2. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I have heard Rammstein...I dont own any of their stuff, but I have a couple of friends that are heavy into import metal and they introduced them to me a few years back...not bad stuff actually.
    Thanks for reminding me that I have meant to find some of their stuff in the newsgroups.

Less than Jake did a cool version of Night Ranger's "Don't Tell Me you Love Me" for a compilation album "Metalli-ska" really funny and cool! I kinds dig some of the punk/ska stuff...do you know much about bands like that? I'd be interested in hearing about some of the better ones if you are.

the other ones...can't say I have heard of them.

3. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Shakira, Avril Lavigne, Creed, and Nickelback kick ass!! :p

4. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Guilty secret time:

I like creed, Nickleback, 3 Doors Down

these bands and SOAD have succedded in getting my young daughter away from the Britney/NSync?AaronCarter type of music..
    Say what you will about their un-originalness...but any band that gets her interested in guitar based rock...is good by me. :p

5. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

You left out The Walkmen!!

Seriously, I downloaded their debut album "Everyone Who Pretended To Like Me Is Gone", this is a very interesting band worth checking out.

6. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Rammstein? Isn't that an Air Force Base or something?

7. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I like Rammstein, the only album I've listened to is Sehnsucht, but I've heard the rest of their stuff is good. And Mutter is their third album, they had Herzeleid, then Sehnsucht, then Mutter. I've also heard that their shows are pretty crazy, they do stuff like setting themselves on fire on stage. Hence, they've been added to my list of shows I want to see. The best is when I worked at a music store and a lady returned Sehnsucht because the pictures in the booklet were giving her son nightmares.

I had some friends that listened to Delerium and FLA a lot, I thought they were ok but never really go into them.

And Massive Attack is great.

8. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I've heard Rammstein before . . . "Du Hast!". Cool song. I've herad <b>of</b> the others as well, except for VMV.

Guilty Secret? I heard the J.Lo and LL Cool J song the other day and saw the video and I really like it . . .

9. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Rammstein is a prison band...

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I used to listent to KMFDM, but I've kind of lost touch with what they're up to.

11. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

They have gone through some things. I think they got rid of one of their founders in En Esch but they still have Sascha. Pig, I think, still guest vocals for some of their songs.

They actually "announced" they had broken up and released an album named "MDFMK" by MDFMK (KMFDM backwards) and then they released "Attak" by KMFDM (which I do not have) like last year or so.

Rockets2K,

When I get home from work today, I will go through my list of punk bands and tell you what other albums/artists that I have.

12. Samurai Jack

Samurai Jack Contributing Member

I know the bands, but that was my younger crazy days !

Remember these clubs ?

NRG

X-CESS

NUMBERS ( I think it's still around )

Lizard Lounge

and so many more........

13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I love Rammstein. I've been listening to their stuff for years. I spent time working in Germany, where I got some more of their material.

Yes, there is an air force base in Germany called Ramstein (only one m). It's rumored that the band took their name from this air force base after there was a terrible accident during an air show there that killed 70 people.

Also, Rammstein means "battering ram" in German, fyi. Maybe that's where they got their name. I'm not sure.

14. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Anybody ever hear of the German metal band Accept?

15. Band Geek Mobster

Lagwagon sounds nothing like NOFX...

16. Isabel

Isabel Member

Did anybody ever figure out what KMFDM stands for? There used to be a rumor that it meant "Kill Mother F____ Depeche Mode", but they denied it. (though I suspect the M and F were probably guessed correctly)

17. Buck Turgidson

I heard the same, Isabel, and never really cared enough to investigate it further. I listened to quite a bit of industrial music back in the day - Front 242, Nitzer Ebb, A Split Second, Ministry, along with KMFDM, FLA & others - but that genre doesn't really appeal to me anymore...

18. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

WOO Hoo!! The band sporting the shortest, ugliest singer in the world!..

Udo Dirkschneider..

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/pic200_web/drp100/p106/p10684khvc1.jpg

Balls to the Walls!..
    Fast as a Shark..
    Metal Heart

I just checked up on them and am surprised as hell to discover they are still releasing albums...:eek:
    Wow...thought they were long gone..

19. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

"KMFDM" That sound like KD Lang trying to tell the cops her name whil taking a field sobriety test.

20. Band Geek Mobster

After consulting www.allmusic.com...