1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do you want to draft?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by JMAD21, Jan 8, 2011.

1. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

He was making the point that a back-to-back Euroleague MVP is nothing more than a role player in the NBA.

2. TheGoldenGreek

3. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

You don't create highlights with them?

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/g98ZR90KuEE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Wilkins averaged 18 in NBA, 20 in Greece, then 18 again in NBA. He lost the Greek Finals series after Giorgos Sigalas shut him down single highhandedly on defense.

Edney was a starter in NBA. Jasikevicius was in Pacers rotation and was a 15/8 player per 36 minutes. Martin, Kea, Kutluay were god players but were not in the top class of players in Europe.

It's like saying Kevin Martin is an elite NBA player.

Navarro averaged over 13 points a game as a starter, playing around 30 minutes a game, as an NBA rookie, adjusting to a different league, different language, different rules, etc.

Spanoulis was destroyed by a tyrant coach that treated him like he was an illegal alien. Spanoulis is about 20 times better than Rubio will ever be, and that might be a conservative estimate. Rubio was good enough to be #5 pick of the NBA and to be the "automatic starter for the Wolves" according to their GM.

Anthony Parker came to the NBA for the second time when he was already in his 30s and past his prime and has been a starting SG for many years since, including on a team that went to the conference finals.

Also, the Euroleague is about 3 times as good now as it was then. Jasikevicius is a minor role player, bordering on a scrub in Euroleague. He was nothing remotely resembling a "star" when he went back to Euroleague. In fact, he played better in the NBA than he has in Euroleague since he came back from the NBA.

When Anthony Parker was Euroleague MVP the highest budget in the whole league was 7 million euros. Now that would be the 2nd lowest budget in the entire league.

You are comparing a time of the Euroleague when the highest budget in the league was 7 million euros (when Parker was MVP) to a time of the Euroleague now when the same budget would be the second lowest budget in the entire league (the present time).

When a team with a 7 million euros budget, the highest in the league, (Maccabi) won back to back titles to a time now when Olympiacos has a budget of 32 million euros, Panathinaikos a budget of 30 million euros, Barca and CSKA budgets of 28 million euros, Real Madrid a budget of 24 million euros, Fener and Maccabi budgets of 20 million euros.........

etc.

What you are doing, claiming and implying that the Euroleague of the current day is at the same level as the Euroleague of 2004-2005, is basically the same thing as claiming that the current NBA = the NBA of the 70s.

It is illogical, it is flawed, it is incorrect, it is irrational.

5. LongTimeFan

On a scale of 1-10, I'd rate that highlight film a 4. The first minute of it was spent showing him NOT playing basketball.

I really, really hope you're not trying to say a 6 year time lapse in the Euroleague is comparable to a 30-40 year time lapse in the NBA. You're digging your own grave here.

6. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Sigh.. It seem's like the window for trading for the #2 pick may be closing.

There's rumors that the T-Wolves and Toronto are discussing a trade that would send the #2 pick and Jonny Flynn for the 5th pick and Demar DeRozan.

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=20047#ixzz1ObiDgltC

DeRozan, is great young and upcoming SG, with all-star talent. Would definitely fill the whole at SG that the T-Wolves have.

7. LongTimeFan

I'd be shocked if Toronto did that deal. I think they really like DeRozan. That said, Morey said himself that teams only trade Top 10 picks for Top 10 picks.. i.e., #2 for #5 + player.

8. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Not one guard on the Rockets can pass like that. So then Rockets guards' highlights would be at best a 2/10.

I repeat, when Anthony Parker was Euroleague MVP the highest budget in the entire league was 7 million euros. Now that would be the second lowest budget in the entire league.

In that time, the biggest Euroleague clubs like CSKA (5 million euros), Olympiacos and Panathinaikos (2-3 million euros), Real Madrid and Barcelona (4 million euros) had tiny, tiny budgets as compared to today.

In the 2008-09 season, before the economic crisis had forced clubs to lower their budgets, CSKA's budget was $60 million US and Olympiacos' budget was $70 million US, to put that into proper perspective.

So you are trying to claim here that a league where the highest team has a budget of 7 million euros is = to a league where that would be the second lowest budget in the league.

You are comparing apples to oranges and what you are claiming has no merit.

9. LongTimeFan

Ricky Rubio could pass like that, so a highlight of Rubio passing/making layups would be the exact same thing you posted. I'm sorry, it just wasn't that impressive of a highlight tape -- that's my opinion, you're free to disagree.

And I wasn't trying to compare anything, just commenting on your comparison. Your comparison of 1970s NBA to 2011 NBA = 2005 EL to 2011 EL is something far more different than apples to oranges. The 1970s had far inferior athletes.. half the players in the 1970s NBA probably wouldn't be able to play in today's game if they kept their same physical attributes. The only thing EL has done is expand their ability to pay for better players.. that is in no way the same thing -- you should try to find a more reasonable comparison.

10. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Ricky Rubio does not pass like that in Euroleague. He has all those mega highlights passing mixes from 80% to 90% of games in lower level leagues. In 2nd tier and 3rd tier levels of European basketball.

Ricky Rubio's passing level in the Euroleague level, the actual top tier of European basketball, is no more than the level that Bob Sura passed at in the NBA.

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know a guy like this down at 24 hour fitness. I am pretty sure DaDakota makes better highlights on the court...

12. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Just found out Terrence Jonled out, makes want the Rockets to either invest in moving up to get Canter or trading for more picks in the late 1st.

On a side note Marshon Brooks is 6'5'' in his shoes with a 7'1'' wingspan. Maybe we should take a gamble.

13. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

I am pretty sure I need to find the ignore list for you.

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8u9UWw5PPYQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I can see that you left out my friend Bob Mac, and you had to find an obscure game where Dominique was off to discredit his championship as an old man...

It is also interesting that you discredit Euro players 5-6+ years ago. Very, very interesting... You must be a Euro hipster huh?

15. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Wilkins lost the Greek Championship Finals SERIES of the league playoffs, not an "obscure game". During the Championship Finals series of the Greek League, he was shut down by Giorgos Sigalas, who guarded him one to one during the entire series.

After that, Wilkins came back to the NBA, "as an old man", and averaged 18 points a game in the NBA.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Papaloukas would make an NBA team (or would have in his prime). The Mavericks and Rockets had interest at one time. He is a very good passer for his size and really good instincts.

The issue has been his salary situation. He would be a rotation player here, but not a star... so no on will pay him star money here.

Oh well, not worth thinking about any further...

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Is the 7'1'' winspan with or without shoes?

18. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

http://twitter.com/SamAmicoFSO/statuses/78189164897632257

How much would you be willing to give up for Varejao?

#14 ?
    #14 + Hill ?
    #23 + Hill ?
    #14 + #23 ?
    #14 + #23 + Hill?

19. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

NONE of those!!

Varejao is extremely overrated!!

Maybe Hill, but that's it... nothing more!

20. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I don't get your argument. Because their budget got bigger, their talent also got better? Because players 5 years ago weren't getting paid as much as players now, they were worse basketball players? Suddenly, players who are coming in the Euroleague are better because they're getting paid more? Your argument would make sense if the higher budget attracted some top level NBA players to go over there but Euroleague has only taken marginal players from the NBA.

Why would a typical Euroleague player FROM Europe suddenly be better because he's getting paid 3 times more now? If the NBA was to triple the salary cap, would the talent in league be 3 times "better"? It's the same players no?