1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do you think will be the best player from this draft?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by armyman7894, Apr 27, 2008.

?

Who do you predict to be the best player out of this draft?

1. Duane Brown - OT

22 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Antwuan Molden - CB

23 vote(s)
    26.1%
  3. Steve Slaton - RB

16 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. Xavier Adibi - OLB

18 vote(s)
    20.5%
  5. Frank Okam - DT

4 vote(s)
    4.5%
  6. Dominique Barber - S

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  7. Alex Brink - QB

4 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. armyman7894

armyman7894 Member

I'm sold on our 3rd round CB. I'm absolutely ECSTATIC about this pick! I have never heard about the guy before in my life, but from watching film of him and reading scout's takes on him i am assured that he is the real deal. He possesses agility to backpedal and cover a receiver, recovery speed to cover his mistakes, great leaping ability to disrupt passes, good tackling ability, prototypical cornerback size, aggressiveness(he consistently jams receivers at the line disrupting their patterns).

I think our first round lineman is a solid choice too and expect him to thrive but I have a great feeling about our cornerback Molden. Overall I would rate this draft as a B+. Solid, solid, solid draft addressing many of our needs.

Who do y'all expect to be the best player out of this draft?

2. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Meh, on the first round pick. They took a gamble and traded down and the Cowboys took Mike Jenkins, who the texans would of took and had to settle for someone who won't start this year and was a projected 2nd rounder.

3. armyman7894

armyman7894 Member

Are you sure about that(link)?

From articles I've read the Texans were sold on 4 offensive tackles and traded down because their top 3 tackles went early so they traded down to get Duane(who they expected to pick anyway because they didn't expect the other 3 tackles to last until 18).

4. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

Chris Johnson

5. VesceySux

VesceySux Member

So, I guess this recap from the Chron...

... is just pure fabrication. Gosh, who to believe, who to believe. Such a quandry. :rolleyes:

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

According to McClain the Texans never even sniffed Jenkins because he was a pass-only corner.

7. gucci888

gucci888 Member

http://www.houstontexans.com/index2.html

Nice video on the defensive picks.

On Okam:
    Loves his size and that he can move as well. Smith thinks we're lacking size at DT and Okam fills that need. Had the biggest hands at the combine which he said is important when you're grabbing players.

8. DieHard Rocket

The more I think about this draft the more I like it.

Duane Brown was a bit underwhelming, but it was time to grab a solid tackle, and they were able to get extra picks in doing it. The real homerun at 18 would've been Brandon Albert, but luck wasn't on our side.

Molden will take some work I think, and he played at a small school, but has a ton of potential. I think best case scenario he could be like Bennett last year and be ready by about mid-season.

Slaton can contribute right away and I think we now have all bases covered at RB.

Adibi was our steal of the draft I think. I really like this guy from what I've seen. He reminds me a little of DeMeco when he came out, but I don't expect Adibi to be a pro-bowler in 2 years. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's starting at OLB by mid-season, if not sooner.

Okam would've been a 2nd rounder if he'd come out early last year. The knock on him was he wasn't always in the game last year...but I think our coaches can work that out. He'll replace Zgonina as our run-stopping DT for now.

Barber is a project, but with more potential than Harrisson, Mitchell, or any other young safety we have.

9. Bag0b0y

Bag0b0y Member

10. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

I agree, the scouting report said he lacked Run stopping abilities but then we have a hard hitting corner in Dunta, CC brown, and Demeco along with Mario Williams to help out. Im sure we can compromise some of the run defense for pass defense and blitzes

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

I think our linebacking core is OK for the next 7 years or so.

12. halfbreed

halfbreed Member

I like the Xavier Adibi pick. The guy should be a positive addition to the team.