1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do you start at PF?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, Jan 24, 2016.

?

Who do you start at PF?

1. Ariza

10 vote(s)
    5.4%
  2. Jones

6 vote(s)
    3.3%
  3. D-Mo (when healthy)

88 vote(s)
    47.8%
  4. Harrell

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. Josh Smith

55 vote(s)
    29.9%
  6. Capela

17 vote(s)
    9.2%
  7. Other

3 vote(s)
    1.6%
  1. OTMax

OTMax Member

Sooner or later, Capela will go back to the bench as he should. He can be way more effective as a spark, playing against 2nd units and his natural position: C. The only thing is, who do we start in place of him?

We need a stretch 4 and have a couple of choices:
    - Ariza, which automatically means Brewer will keep starting at SF. This is not my preference because Brewer is our spark off the bench.
    - Jones, who has played his best ball next to Howard and is not a spark at all off the bench so I like this option for now.
    - D-Mo is not coming back
    - Harrell, not gonna happen
    - Josh. Now I think he's our best PF hands down and he works well with Harden as our 2nd creator and has great chemistry with Dwight, but we saw how that worked out last year. I prefer to keep him coming off the bench with the band of brothers.

So Jones would be my option and keep the rest as is. What would you do? Any other options?

2. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Agree 100%

3. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

until dmo can get healthy and string a buncha good games, it has to be smith. other than the obvious reasons, his 3pt shot was at 33% last season with the rockets, best in his career. he can also do what capella can do. he's a perfect fit.

with ty we dont need him to come off the bench

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The answer is DMo when he is healthy. Josh Smith brings a lot to the team and he'll play a lot but he's best coming off the bench to give the team a boost. We saw that last year when we started out with him in the starting lineup but he lost his job to DMo almost instantly.

If DMo's an option, and I haven't seen anything suggesting that he won't be, that's what you go with.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Jones sucks, he really, really sucks. I would rather start Ariza and Brewer than Jones. I want him gone, I've wanted him gone for a while. He's a huge part of our defensive struggles.

D-Mo is head and shoulders above everybody else as the best option. If he's not coming back then trade for somebody else or start Harrell. Maybe Harrell can start to correct his mistakes, because Jones is too stupid to ever fix his. Smoove works best off the bench, ain't broke, don't fix it. Capela works best in limited minutes off the bench, but he's still a better than Jones as a starter.

In short, anybody but Jones.

6. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

start Harrell, play him 12-18 MPG have smoove do the rest from the pine, trade jones for leftover potato salad from Harden's strip club and call it a day.

Of course this will never happen but it should

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

they serve potato salad at Harden's strip club? kinky

8. Newlin

Newlin Member

I think I would start DMo when healthy. I like Josh with the bench crew when Harden is out. And Josh can still play with Harden at times.

Until DMo is ready to return full time, I think I might start Jones and hope he can return to his garbage man role of a couple of years ago. He did pretty well when starting with Dwight, when all he did was get tip ins and dunks. The Rockets seem to want Jones to expand his game, but maybe that's not for the best.

Harrell looks to have good potential, but for some reason he's almost never gets a rebound and fouls a lot. I think Harrell needs more D-league time.

9. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I'm generally in favor of starting your best players at each position, so I would start Smoove and make rotations depending on the flow of the game.

Bev
    Harden
    Ariza
    Smoove
    Howard

10. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Then you put Lawson ahead of Bev, too.

I say start anybody but Josh. Josh comes off the bench early and becomes a catalyst. He's best in the role he has now. Don't tinker with it.

11. Moahst

Moahst Member

I don't think Josh Smith should start. We tried that last season and he seems to work better as a sparkplug that can close out games.

12. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I like josh in the bench role. We need a legit power forward to start games. Wish it was dmo but doesn't look like that is gonna happen

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

DMo when healthy...Smith for now

DD

14. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

D-Mo....

Is not ready... Last year.. YES D-Mo... This year.. NO...

Keep it as is with Capella at the 4 and then bringing the brothers off the bench...

Josh, Capela and Howard make a nice trio and then put Jones in here or there..

T_Man

15. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I really think a trade is gonna go down at some point but I dunno what

16. Ubigman

Ubigman Member

not smith. he couldve won 6th man this year if he was here from the start

17. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Our pg's are arguably a wash given Lawson's slow start. As such, I put Bev ahead of Ty due to fit next to Harden

18. OpenLayup-Why3?

This lineup last year lasted for like 2 games.

19. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

Jones should start but JB needs to have Ty/Bev/harden/smith/Howard or ariza

Smith should have 30 min a game

20. rocketsmetalspd

True. Need a veteran PF but don't what a package of TJones + Dekker and maybe KJ can get the team.