1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do we draft if we get the #1 pick?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Legendary21, Apr 4, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Legendary21

Legendary21 Member

As the title says, if we win the lottery who should we pick and why?

I hope there isn't already a thread like this (couldn't see one).

I watched the LSU-Texas game, and Tyrus Thomas sure looks like he could be a taller Shawn Marion, or at least something good. I'm actually more intrigued by the type of player tha Aldridge is though as he could be our PF and backup C. I haven't really seen any of the other candidates for #1. What do u think?

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If Tyrus usually plays like he did in that game....I would have to agree. Aldridge would most likely be my second choice, but I haven't seen the Euros.

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Thomas if he has an incredibly good workout/summer camp...cause he sometimes seems like a mentally deficient guy (bball-wise). And even then, only if we trade away Stro since he'd corrupt Thomas ("you can make $$ by just being athletic, so don't try anything else!")

4. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

We could still miraculously win the lottery or finish in the top 3. But assuming all statu quo prevails, we will pick between 10 and 13. This mean that we may not get a chance at some of the blue chippers.

I do not mind trading that pick to land Josh Childress but if we must make our draft, I will go with someone like Brandon Roy or another good guard/swingman.

One this though I am sure of it this - I do NOT want Joakim Noah. He needs to go back to school for at least another year.

5. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

So he can block 5 shots a game while our TWO PF's can't average 1? I'd love to get my hands on this kid - someone who plays with energy and fire.

6. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Totally agree.

7. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Let's see how this kid does in the league. Last I checked the stats you listed is from his plays in the NCAA.

8. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I think we should draft Rudy Gay if we have the opportunity to do so. He would fix a variety of issues we have currently and IMO has the most potential to be a star in this draft. He is a tallented guy with athleticism, length, and a very good attitude/work ethic. Rudy could play at the same time as TMac and guard players anywhere from 1-4. If TMac is out, with Rudy in we would not be at the extreme athletic disadvantage we are now.

Aldridge would be my second pick.

9. sbyang

sbyang Member

I wouldn't hesitate to take Noah over Aldridge and Gay if given the choice. The guy is all hustle, defense and has as much upside as anyone! He's proven that he doesn't need the ball to score. And you know he's not a guy that will stop working hard once he gets the money, because he's already rich.

10. fa7999

fa7999 Member

I would trade the #1 pick for a proven star SG. When Noah becomes a man, Yao and Mac won't be on the Rockets team.

11. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Not directed at you, but I think it's funny how a lot of people say that college basketball is better because the pros don't play any defense. Then when evaluating college prospects, they say, "He wont be able to play against NBA defense."

Noah is a defensive machine, and he plays with as much heart as Rudy. (the movie, not Gay.) I didn't list any stats, I don't know them -- just exaggerating from the impression I get from the guy. And last i checked, NCAA stats are the ONLY thing you can judge a player on. What other stats are there?

12. fa7999

fa7999 Member

All I was saying was that I don't think that Noah' D would be great against the NBA PFs. He is 6'10", has no perimeter or mid-range game and has to play 4 in the league. Guys like Duncan, Amare, Marion, Dirk, Brand will absolutely murder him on the offensive end and make her a crying baby.

And the quality of NCAA games declined sharply after 1997. It has not produced many star players for the league saving the name of Dwane Wade.

13. Legendary21

Legendary21 Member

Well, there are Euro pros and pros from all other parts of the world.

About Yao and T-mac not having that big a "window of success" ahead of them, I have to say that I look forward to 5-8 good years from them. T-Mac's back has me a little worried though :S.

Lets get some more opinions! I know you must have thought about it. Who would we pick? There is no clear #1 as far as I can tell, and if you want to trade the pick please feel free to explain how :).

14. sbyang

sbyang Member

That depends on what you mean by quality. There's not as many blowouts and dominant teams, leading to one of the all time best tournaments. Offensively I agree that the college game lacks great individual play, but the offensive IQ and team play seems to be better than half the NBA teams! You also have to take into account that the defensive rules aren't like the NBA, where stars get preferential treatment and there's all kinds of weird stuff like the defensive 3 second crap to improve offense. You can't breathe on a guy in the NBA without a foul called!

I think Noah will be fine against NBA PF, he's got the height, the length, the instincts to be a great defensive presense. He doesn't have the strength to handle guys yet, but you can tell he's got the heart and work ethic. But he might not even come out in the draft, and if he does we have very liitle chance of getting that high.

15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

LaMarcus Aldridge. Having a 6'11" PF that can block, rebound, defend, and run the court next to Yao would be unstoppable.

Tyrus Thomas is too raw IMO. He's got a good motor and great athleticism, but his bball IQ isn't worthy of #1 pick. IIRC, he only started playing bball his junior year of highschool.

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

Gay is widely considered as a project. Even his college coach thinks he'll be racking up DNP's in his first two seasons.

17. Rocket Rowdie

Rocket Rowdie Member

If we got first pick, I'd go for a game changer. We already have enough big men in rotation, what we need is a SG/SF to replace David. I know this might be the trendy pick, but I'd go with Morrison. (Not Reddick, I don't think he is ready for a good, speedy NBA defender yet. Bruce Bowen would eat him alive.)

18. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

True but he and Aldridge are the only two guys in the top couple that are not either too skinny(Noah and Thomas), too slow (Morrison), or too much of a gamble (Thomas, and the Italian guy).

So... Gay is my pick but I would be equally happy with Aldridge who I believe is the safest pick in this draft.

Oh, if I was Gay's college coach I would be telling everyone who would listen what a great idea it is for Rudy Gay to stay on with me for another season. ;)

19. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Trade down to top 5 and pick Andrea Bargnani. Book it.

20. triplebogey

triplebogey Member

I'd take Noah. I don't absolutely love that pick, but there is something wrong to be found in every prospect this year. If only Lebron-type players came around every 2-3 years. Okay, why Noah? First, I think he's more athletic than Aldridge. At the very least, his athleticism is a more prominent part of his game than Aldridge's is. In other words, Lamarcus may be just as athletic as Joakim...perhaps even more athletic, but it doesn't filter down into his game (specifically his offensive game) as much as Noah's does. Aldridge's offense is a turnaround jumper, with an occassional hook shot. He doesn't go to the rim all that much or all that well. He doesn't have a drop step, power move.

With that said, Noah's offensive game isn't very advanced, either. But the difference between adding a few moves and changing the entire style of how you play is big, imo. Learning a turnaround jumper takes diligence in the practice gym...repetition of shooting shot after shot. That's how Aldridge improved his turnaround and mid-range shooting. He got hurt last year and couldn't move aroudn too much because of a bad hip, so he just practiced shooting. Can't see why Noah can't do that. But for Lamarcus to start adding a power game to his low post moves, to start attacking the rim, to use a drop step...these are, imo, more in terms of a mindset or style of play (an agressive one) rather than a skill. You can practice a skill and develop it much more easily than changing your game from finesse to one of power and agressive attack.

As for the other areas, Noah is just as tall (if not taller) as Aldridge. He blocks shots just as well and shows as good of a work ethic. If Rudy Gay didn't disappear as much as he seemed to this year, I'd take him. The issue with Gay may have been that he was the young guy on a high-powered team and that he deferred to Marcus Williams or Rashad Anderson or Denham Brown. With a little maturity, maybe he starts demanding the ball and starts to impose his will on the game. Or maybe he's just a passive guy that won't ever change. I don't know.