1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do the Astros draft number 1?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by bobmarley, Oct 3, 2011.

?

Who will the Astros select first overall in the draft?

Poll closed Nov 2, 2011.
  1. Mark Appel

48.7%
  2. Lucas Giolito

10.3%
  3. Devin Marrero

12.8%
  4. Lance McCullers

25.6%
  5. Nick Williams

43.6%
  6. Other, please name

12.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 713

713 Member

Just tough luck honestly, Baseballs draft is more luck compared to all the other Major Leagues

2. Rocketfan713

Rocketfan713 Member

Still out of Appel and Buxton for me. Leaning towards Buxton

3. htownbball

htownbball Member

What can Buxton do that George Springer can't?

I like Zimmer the best out of the college pitchers.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Buxton can be significantly younger than Spinger... that's something Springer can't do.

5. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Man, did yall see that latest video of Correa?
    His body is really starting to fill out.

6. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

Run, throws, and projects to hit for higher avg according to what most scouts are saying. Power and fielding are really the only thing they project to be about even on although some might give those to buxton. Plus there are 3 outfield slots the Astros need to fill. They need outfielders like they have needs everywhere but I hope need doesn't play a factor in their consideration. You wouldn't pass on Barry bonds because you have Ken Griffey jr. If the Astros believe buxton is the best player they shouldn't not draft him because of springer.

In other news Appel pitched a 3 hit shutout last night while striking out 13

#146 DoitDickau, May 19, 2012
    Last edited: May 19, 2012
  7. cdastros

cdastros Member

8. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

In years past the best draft strategy was simply to pick the best overall player available in the 1st round (and in subsequent rounds) regardless of bonus demands or overslotting. The new 10 round slotting might throw conventional stategy for a loop. Because of how the slotting for rounds is structured (every pick is allocated with an amount of money that goes into the teams overall bonus pool, but if the team fails to sign a pick the bonus money allocated for that pick is removed from the teams bonus pool) i think you are going to see a lot of teams use their supplemental, 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks on under-slot, signable, players. Teams who have structured their drafts this way will then make a run at passed-over high school players in the 8-10 rounds. If the Astros view about the top 4-5 players about the same and one of them is willing to take, say, 5 million instead of the 7 million allotted for the 1st overall pick, then Astros can use the extra 2 million to sign a bevy of passed-over, overslot, players later in the first 10 rds.

Another way to accomplish this would be to draft whomever you think is best and take a hard line in negotiating. Teams now have a lot more leverage than they used to due to the new rules. If Appel, for instance, wants to turn down 5 million he'll have to go to Indy ball or return to college for a year and can't be projected to top 5 million unless he goes #1 again. If the pick balks and doesnt sign the low ball offer, then the astros would get the #2 pick in a stronger draft next year as compensation. The risk to this lowball strategy is public backlash given the unsigned picks in '07, so I think the Astros might be skittish to try this. Regardless it should be interesting to see how it plays out.

I preferred the old draft rules, but, like for any new artificial system, there will be initial ways for smart teams to exploit the system.

9. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Well, this makes me want to draft the Buxton kid.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/albert_chen/05/22/byron.buxton/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t11_a0

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I need to try and go catch Buxton in the state finals on Saturday.

11. Kate81

Kate81 Member

Do it, let us know.

My vote is for Buxton. Kid has future star potential.

12. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Play one of the outfield spots that Springer's not playing.

I've wanted Appel since last year, but I'm really coming around on the Buxton bandwagon. The kid really looks like something special.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I can't see how this wouldn't be down to only Appel and Buxton. I think I'd really only be pissed if they drafted the catcher.

14. juicystream

I think Zunino isn't really in the running. I think it is between Appel/Buxton with Zimmer/Gausman having outside chances.

15. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Please take Buxton.

16. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Buxton please

Imagine in 3-4 years

1B Singleton
    2B Altuve/DeShields
    SS Lowrie/Mier/Villar

OF Springer
    OF Buxton
    OF Martinez/Schafer/Santana

17. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Can you imagine an Ovando(if he pans out)/Springer/Buxton outfield in 3-5 years? Athleticism and power all over the place, and lots of youth.

18. juicystream

I'll have to see what the wife says (she and the kids have been out of town for 2 weeks, getting back Friday, and I'm headed to Houston Sunday night).

It will be a double-header on Saturday and Buxton will also probably be pitching in the 1st game. It is too bad they will be playing in Appling County, because there isn't crap to do out there, and it is a 2 hour drive.

1 person likes this.
  19. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Ovando, Martinez, Springer, Santana, Buxton

So much talent in the outfield if he's drafted. Really hope J.D. can pick it up.

20. htownbball

htownbball Member

Don't forget Austin Wates. Might be more of a 4th outfielder, but he's got speed and should hit .280-.300 at least.