1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do the Astros draft number 1?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by bobmarley, Oct 3, 2011.

?

Who will the Astros select first overall in the draft?

Poll closed Nov 2, 2011.
  1. Mark Appel

48.7%
  2. Lucas Giolito

10.3%
  3. Devin Marrero

12.8%
  4. Lance McCullers

25.6%
  5. Nick Williams

43.6%
  6. Other, please name

12.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Probably been posted before, but I couldn't find it on a search.

mlbdraftprospects.blogspot.com did an analysis of how likely a particular pick by round will become a star, starter, etc. Didn't see anything in regards to how they define their categories though.

mlbdraftprospects.blogspot.com

1 person likes this.
  2. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

What are the odds of us actually signing the #1 pick though? Aren't we heavily financed by debt? Is Crane willing to pay the top pick slot value?

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If he isnt willing to pay the top pick slot value, he will lose exponentially more than he saves in fan support, tv ratings, and credibility.

4. jdh008

jdh008 Member

They'll get the pick signed. I'm sure Crane is looking to make all the right moves while everyone is paying attention to how the new owner is going to do things.

And while the price of top picks continues to go up, I don't think any of the guys that are being rumored to go first overall are going to demand a contract anywhere near the ones that were given to the likes of Harper or Strasburg.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The price better go down. Teams are now limited in how much they can spend on draft picks and international free agents.

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

lol... of course the top pick will be signed. Don't be silly. The debt has nothing to do with whether they can pay slot money to draft picks.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'd like to see info on the youngest and most talented HS hitters eligible for the draft. Pound for pound, the most successful type of #1 overall pick. Of course, it's a talent group that has the least amount of information available to the public.

8. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

You never know. Have bad taste in my mouth from the Drayton days. It wouldn't surprise me if Crane didn't want to pony up.

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

That just doesn't happen, man. Teams sign the first overall pick. Period. Plus, Crane knows what he's doing--he is building farm system, draft oriented. He has said that from the beginning... and that's why he hired Luhnow.

10. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

Keith Law released his rankings today. Here's his top 5:

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/stor...uxton-mike-zunino-top-50-2012-draft-prospects

1 person likes this.
  11. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

12. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Forgot the article. My mistake.

13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Sucks that there is not a consensus #1 pick:(

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Eh... the guys they should be targeting (young HS everyday players) haven't had their prime showcases yet (at least I don't think they have).

I just hope they do their due dilligence... and I don't think they should draft a pitcher that isn't blowing everybody away every single time.

15. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Mike Zunino sucks the air out of Alex Box Stadium and LSU...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/W67frV4rCyE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Figures that the one time in years that the Astros get the #1 pick, it's a relatively weak draft. No one even close to be an obvious #1 pick.

17. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

Appel last night went 9ip with only 1 er and 13 k against #16 Oregon. Although he also gave up 10 hits and was allowed to throw 150! pitches!

At this stage there seems to be a growing consensus that this is a weak draft class and that buxton is the top prospect (I believe both ba and law have him as their #1 prospect). He's not without his risks (competition level, he's already 19, and he has no hrs so far this year) but if he's the top talent I hope the Astros go with him.

I like Appel better than the zimmer and gausman as I think he combines the highest ceiling with the highest floor of the three. But can't shake the feeling that if you draft any of them you are spending the top pick on someone whose reasonable upside is a #3 starter. It reminds of the pirates spending their top pick on bullington (and have having their then gm brag about how they got a #3 starter) or Tampa bay before their current regime drafting guys like brazelton. I don't think drafting for signability or MLB need or playing it overly safe is a winning strategy for a top pick. That's why if the Astros view buxton as the top talent I hope they go with him, risks be damned.

18. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Given the state of the Astros minor system, it could work out better this way. Just because their is no obvious #1 pick does not mean they will not be a starter and good player with the Astros. Also, just because they are highly touted does not mean they will definitely make it.

If anything, the stigma of the "weak draft" and top few players will not cause many fans and people in the organization to hope the No. 1 pick will be the savior to lift the Astros from being bad team in a few team.

I also feel that people are nitpicking Appel some as well. While you definitely would like your ace pitcher to be a strikeout machine, I also feel they are nitpicking. He is currently has a .200 BAA, is average 8+ inning an outing, with a high rate of groundballs.

If anything, he has basically learned the art of pitching when you best stuff is not striking everyone out all the time, which is something many pitchers never learn and even some of the best aces do not learn.

Yes this is college and, and you have to ask if with even better competition, would that shift against him?

Possibly, but I feel that the strikeout issue is generally overblown on all levels in regards to starting pitching.

19. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Byron Buxton is the way to go. He has a very bright future

20. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Good news, from his father:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Lucas cleared to start throwing program. Many thnx to the wonderul folks at Kerlan-Jobe! @<a href="https://twitter.com/UCLABaseball">UCLABaseball</a> @<a href="https://twitter.com/PerfectGameUSA">PerfectGameUSA</a> @<a href="https://twitter.com/MLBDraft">MLBDraft</a></p>&mdash; Rick Giolito (@RickGiolito) <a href="https://twitter.com/RickGiolito/status/197425992770387968" data-datetime="2012-05-01T20:43:19+00:00">May 1, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>