1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who did Refer piss off?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Possum, Feb 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

That's really stretching Morey's intention, by alot. He didn't say point guard. He said guard...Tracy McGrady is a guard, Rafer is a guard, Luther Head is a guard, and Wafer is a guard. Now tell me, other than Wafer, how is this even disputable? Some of you guys are way too sensitive.

2. The_AzN

The_AzN Rookie

Sure he gave 100%, but the output was more like 10%, 30% on a good night.

3. leonking

leonking Rookie

http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2009/02/skip_to_my_new_rockets_undergo_1.html

(The Rockets don't gain any savings with this deal. I do think the the cap will be reduced. It does not look as if McGrady can be ruled out for all of next season, which would be required to get that exception or the insurance savings. That exception cannot be traded. -- Jonathan)

So there is only one reason for this trade: get rid of Rafer as the biggest cancer in this team.

4. rockets_34

rockets_34 Member

Although I have definitely had my moments of frustration with Rafer during the course of his tenure here I think the way Morey is presenting the trade is quite classless given the fact that Rafer always played to the utmost of his (limited) ability/talent and put forth maximum effort every game. Saying a scrub back-up who shoots 29% from 3 is an immediate upgrade on a team built around an all-star center is pretty 1.) nonsensical 2.) insulting to Rafer.

The only reason I think Morey is going out of his way to laud the trade as well as Lowry at Rafer's expense is the backlash is probably worse than he expected and he feels obliged to defend it as a move made both for the present and for the future, and not just exclusively for the future.

5. rockets_34

rockets_34 Member

Regardless of the output, there is no reason to disrespect and insult a guy on his way out. At the end of the day, regardless of his output, Morey/JVG/Adelman are the same dumbasses who trotted Rafer out there for 40 mins/ game w/out making any changes, so insulting him as he is leaving is pretty unnecesssary in my opinion.

6. tsunami

tsunami Member

that's bullcrap. I support Rafer.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Then why didn't Adelman play him more? Is there a disagreement between the coach and GM?

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

And that was the problem. Of all the small players I have seen in the NBA over the decades, Rafer was the worst finisher at the basket ever. Kids make crip shots, that is why they are called crip shots. Apparently the Rockets think Brooks is ready to roll. With him it seems like a confidence thing. Maybe now he will take off. If not, the Rockets are in some trouble: they have two midget PG's. I actually think things might improve.

9. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Rafer didn't piss off anyone, it was time to move on. Why are we crying over a PG who shoots 38%.

To qoute Mike Singletary, "Can't win him, Won't win with him"

10. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

We were on a 5 game wining streak with AB starting. Rafer came back and AB was regulated to the bench again and always looking over his shoulder. We now need to see if he is worth it permanently. Let's make sure we gave AB the same amount of space we gave the 38% departed PG.

11. Mr. Clutch

Question still stands. If AB is so good why didn't Adelman play him more?

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Clutch

both the bear and the founder of this here cite. Can't get on their bad sides....

13. GMNot

GMNot Member

Knowing how fans would react to a player who's been in the league for 3 years and hasn't played that much, Morey concentrated on "selling" Lowry versus commending Rafer. Maybe Morey has coveted Lowry since the 2006 draft, but I don't know that he can speak for Adelman -- he wasn't here then.

14. underoverup

underoverup Member

this is refer madness.

15. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Showcasing Rafer for a potential trade? Wow it actually happened.

16. yaofor3

yaofor3 Member

fix!!! :D

17. Mr. Clutch

I doubt they were costing the team games for a longshot at a trade. This trade wouldnt have happened if Orlando didnt have PG injuries.

18. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

A friend told me the rumor floating around the toyota center is that he was let go because of his Drinking.

I have no idea if thats what it was all about, just what a friend that works in the toyota center told me.

19. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Maybe he wanted to ease Aaron Brooks into the NBA. Or maybe he was using him as a spark plug, similar to Cassell.

20. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Which begs the question, how much value did Rafer REALLY have?