1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who creates the biggest matchup problem for Rockets in playoff

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tracymingreedy, Mar 24, 2007.

1. tracymingreedy

tracymingreedy Contributing Member

Who creates the biggest matchup problem for Rockets in playoff

I borrowed the idea from the other thread: http://bbs.clutchfans.com/showthread.php?t=126403

I believe it could be either Boozer or Okur. Boozer is dangerous down low. Okur can shoot threes. Who is going to guard him behind the arch? If Yao goes out, we will loss the low post intimidation. Besides, Yao might not be quick enough to step out.

I guess Van Gundy will figure this out.

2. davidhero

davidhero Contributing Member

D Williams no doubt about it...

3. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

deron and boozer. alston and hayes will get abused. hayes just fouls too damn much. so he'll prollie play very little.

4. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

If it's 4th quarter and the game is tied with .3 seconds left... then Fisher

5. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I was torn between Okur and Deron, but I went with Deron because it's a mismatch of talent, which is harder to combat than a mismatch of style. Plus, I'm guessing the Jazz are going to go as Deron goes.

6. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

I would say Boozer + Okur.

Yao could handle either in a playoff series, but I have a feeling they will spend most of their time on Yao and play minimal defense on Chuck for the most part.. If Sloan directs both his Bigs to concentrate on Yao, Yao's gonna have his hands full.. Yao should be fine in single coverage. If they start doubling, our role players must make they pay by hitting their shots!

Best case scenario, everybody plays within their game and hits their shots forcing Utah to play man-to-man.. Then Yao take care of business.

7. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Okur will if we stick to man-to-man. The Jazz are the one team in the league that we might need to play zone against, though, and it's almost entirely because of Okur. But if we do that well, we should be fine.

8. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I think it's clearly Okur. He's a big that can take it out to the perimeter. He either draws Hayes away from rebounding and causes Yao to pick up Boozer (and subject him to foul trouble possibly) or he draws Yao away from the middle and we lose his presence. How could it be anyone else?

Matchup PROBLEM. Deron is a good player. He's not a matchup problem any more than any other top-10 NBA point.

9. Wangdoodle

Wangdoodle Member

Kobe Bryant

10. khanhdom

khanhdom Member

deron is very inconsistant, and sometimes show why he's going to be one of the top pg's in the future, but sometimes he just doesn't show up, and he's not that farther great than other pg's. Boozer, I'm sure Yao can clamp onto, since I think that's who Yao should be guarding. With Okur though, he brings Chuck out like a poster here mention and that's not good. Chuck gives us solid rebounding, and with him out beyond the arc, that's just a terrible spot for him. So with that, we have to have some good team rebounding, contributions from everyone.

11. tracymingreedy

It depends. If Yao is inside and Rockets pack the paint, Williams will be forced jumper shoot. What I am worrying is when Okur is behind the arch. This will force Yao out and create a lot of opportunities for the Jazz.

12. YallMean

YallMean Member

You dont think JVG has some in his play book to deal with Okur. Okur is going to play just like Collins, 15 feet out jump shooting. Once a while he will put the ball on the floor driving, rafer's slapping will be waiting for him down low.

13. inler

inler Contributing Member

we could play the twin towers. the only difference would be that deke can't catch tmac's bullet passes on the offensive end

i had to bring it up. although we've seen glimpses of it, how ridiculous would that be?

14. ClutchCityReturns

Deron is vastly superior to anyone we could matchup on him. To me, that's a problem.

15. tracymingreedy

Kobe??!! Yes he is a problem for anybody in this world. :D

16. YallMean

YallMean Member

Of all other 7 playoff teams in the west, which starting PG wouldnt cause a matchup problem for us? I think Deron may be a lesser of the evils given the way he's been playing lately. He is hitting a soph wall or something. Plus we might be able to exploit his inexperience for a important postion.

17. ClutchCityReturns

In my opinion...

- Cassell isn't a matchup problem. Brand is the toughest matchup there.
    - Terry isn't a matchup problem and he hasn't played well against us this year. He's a bit more of a SG anyway. Dirk is the toughest matchup there.
    - Smush Parker and Shammond Williams aren't a matchup problem. Odom is the toughest matchup there (despite Kobe being the best player).
    - Steve Blake isn't a matchup problem. Anthony is the toughest matchup there. Maybe Iverson if you put him at PG, but I'm really just not concerned with the Nuggets at all. Their 2 superstar experiment has not impressed me at all.
    - Tony Parker might seem to be a matchup problem, but this year that has not been the case. I'd say that Rafer has been the better PG in the season series. Duncan is the toughest matchup there.

The only guy I fear other than Deron (who has played very well against us) is Steve Nash, for obvious reasons. Of course, the Suns entire lineup is a matchup problem for us.

Anyway, did I answer your question well enough? :)

18. YallMean

YallMean Member

It's arguable that Deron poses bigger problem than Boozer. To me Boozer is the best player on that Utah team. You were saying that Deron has a big advantage on Rafer therefore he is the toughest matchup problem. I was saying pretty much every playoff team's PG has an edge over Rafer, PG spot is always a matchup problem for us.

19. lastopsuburb

lastopsuburb Member

Carlos Boozer, he would give Yao foul problems or power his way into Hayes or Juwon

20. fuzzy88

fuzzy88 Member

It will be Deron Williams.

Boozer and Okur problems are "easy" to solve:

- Put Yao on Boozer, since Boozer is the interior player

- Put Juwan or Hayes on Okur. Both are shorter than Okur, but Okur is a bit slow, and release is slow enough that Hayes or Juwan has the time to bother the shot. Okur also does NOT have the fadeaway jumpshot like Dork (I mean Dirk :)) Nowitzki to avoid being bothered.