1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who Completes the Deal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rwienert, Jun 29, 2006.

1. rwienert

rwienert Contributing Member

When Ric Bucher announced the Rockets were swapping Rudy Gay for Shane Battier, I was speechless. It was far too one-sided. Then it was announced that we were tossing in Stromile as well.

The general opinion is that there has to be something else coming back to Houston to make this deal possible both cap wise and talent wise.

Who are the players or pics that could complete the deal? Mike Miller was mentioned pretty frequently. I think he would make sense, but if he was involved, then why would they mention Battier and not Miller.

It's likely to be a 3rd team involved. Is Seattle losing so much money that they might fire sale Rashard Lewis? If so, maybe the Sonics get Swift and something else from the Grizz.

Some speculation involves the Grizz looking to aquire AI. Could Igoudala be going to Houston in that deal? He would provide some athleticisim to the team. (I believe Philly grabbed Carney also...maybe as to take Igoudala's place?)

Could it be part of a deal with Boston for AI? Maybe Al Jefferson or Gerald Green make their way to Houston.

I'm open to suggestions for other possibilities. Maybe I'm just in denial that all we'd get in return for Rudy Gay and Swift is a role player who doesn't even have James Posey's value. Any ideas?

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Maybe we will get Eddie Jones? Wait... Wait. No.. Of course not. Its more likely we add Head to the trade and recieve Brian Cardinal instead of Battier. Why? Cuz we are Houston.

3. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

If we also get Mike Miller I'll dance the funky chicken buck naked in front of the Toyota Center at midnight.

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

My hunch is that we are stupid enough for this trade to have gone down exactly as advertised: Battier for Stro and the number #8; however, if the trade is not done, and Memphis has something more to add, I bet it's either Alex Johnson or Lowry, or hopefully both.

5. tigereye

tigereye Member

THIS JUST IN...

According to WAMI-TV in Miami, the Miami Heat are the third team in this three-way deal involving Memphis and Houston.

To complete the deal, the Heat are sending the Rockets the rights to Stan Van Gundy.

Rumor has it, he's a "JVG-type" player.....

6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

If we do get someone else, it will be a power forward or center. Someone like Hakim Warrick or Jake Tsakalidas (Or Saccocrapus as I've heard him immaturely called before :D ) fits the bill.

7. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

maybe we get derrick Anderson back, correct that mistake.

8. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

9. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

The only way we get respectable value for Gay is:

Juwan instead of Stromile (supposedly the Memphis radio was saying it's Juwan)
    Sura (to match salaries)
    Gay

for

Battier
    Mike Miller
    Alexander Johnson

This makes sense. We get the depth that we're looking for and a pair of guys who fill needs (Battier with Perimeter defense, and Miller with Perimeter shooting). We get out of Juwan's contract since it's bigger than Stro's and at this point Juwan can only get worse on the court. And we get a PF prospect that might develop into a Haslem-type contributor.

Considering that Gay does in fact have #1 pick type talent, this does not seem unreasonable at all.

10. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

The interesting thing is, the Grizz badly want to move Mike Miller. It's speculated that they wanted to send us MM instead of Shane. That said, I don't see anything like this happening.

Best to just pretend we never had a shot at Rudy in the first place. According to a Grizzlies message board, Gay felt as let down as some of us that the Rockets traded him.

11. Yao_Mac

Yao_Mac Member

i hope to dear life its Mike Miller and Shane Battier, cause this makes absolutely no sense whatsoever...

12. daonlydude

daonlydude New Member

We better get some players in free agency, Sam Cassell, Wilcox... Gotta win the finals next year or people going to look back on this trade. :(

13. rkh-dog

rkh-dog Member

Shane's Base Year contract is the hold-up on the Memphis Houston trade. If you were a third team involved, would you go announce the players you were trading to Houston before the Battier part of the deal was approved? What if it fell through? You would have a disgruntled player. Thats why the league and the GM's can not discuss. Also, next years salary caps aren't in place until early July. And if there is a third team, that could definitely be a factor. Just a thought.

14. rwienert

rwienert Contributing Member

Please let their be a third team involved. This draft was supposed to be about bringing in some youth and athleticism, not another quick fix type of player.

Hopefully a prospect or a young draft pick is included.

I like Kyle Lowry. Alexander Johnson could be ok. Not a big fan of Dahntay Jones (one Dukie is all I can handle right now)

15. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

Battier and Miller?

Damn.. At this point I was hoping it was Juwan, Stro and Gay for Eddie Jones and Memphis' choice of:

Alex Johnson
    Hakim Warrick
    Dahntay Jones
    Future First rounder

At least that way, we have some semblance of cap space in the future, but more importantly, it will make us more willing to spend the entire MLE as well as use both trade exceptions to bolster the squad.

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i've been hearing that the deal was in place because niether team thought gay would fall to #8. we would've been trading them randy foye or whoever was the best available then.

once gay was there, even tho the deal is in place, i think the rockets had to change things up a bit.

memphis radio said the rockets have added howard in the deal, not stro. that's a little better. now give us alex johnson or a future pick and i'll call it ok.

17. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

18. Howyalikemenow

LOL, that totally made my day. :)

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Juwan makes sense. And it better be true (not blaming you if it isn't).

Memphis let Stromile walk w/o so much as a "but...but...you CAN'T go! I NEED YOU!" They didn't want him before. Why want him now?

Juwan had a bit of a glazed look on his face at TC when the trade for Battier was announced. Wonder if he was thinking, I think my salary matches; oh God, no....

Juwan + Rudy for Gay and AJohnson would be equitable.

And by the way:

I STILL think we're after The Landlord. Wouldn't be surprised to see us trade Stro + Rafer for #5 Shelden when Atlanta's salary cap opens up in July. It would get us the PF we want and open cap space for Mike James and maybe VSpan.

20. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Exactly, there either has to be a third, undisclosed team in the fray somehow or there are more or different cogs being added to the initial trade.

The salaries just don't add up! Now, if we got rid of Howard's salary instead of Swift's, this would make sense. If there was another team giving and receiving players, you could get the salaries to match with the right input/output of money...

Smoothie, when did Memphis radio say that about JH? Last night? This morning? Did you here this yourself? Link?