1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who can we replace Ariza with?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatboyPhuong, Jul 2, 2018.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

hes been a 3 and D player for years. its not something that came out of nowhere

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Yea Porter is the type of player I wouldn't mind attaching 2 1sts to Anderson to make that deal work. Sounds like a bad deal for the Wizards but they have plenty of depth at the wing with Oubre and Brown like you mentioned. Pipe dream for sure but it def gets the Wizards out of the $75 million owed to Otto over the next 3 years.

DonKnock and Chamillionaire like this.
  3. malakas

malakas Member

the wizards may have to trade Porter away but it won't be for Anderson.
    Grunfeld is useless idiot but even for him that's too bad.

4. thirdengine

thirdengine Member

Luc is the best fit, especially considering the chemistry is already there. Other than that we're scraping through G League guys or Euro guys and hoping whichever one we take surprises everybody

5. Chamillionaire

I'm sure Luc can handle it if he were the same Luc from last year before injuries. After the injuries, he wasn't the same player.

DonKnock and D-rock like this.
  6. steddinotayto

Oh it'll take a night of binge drinking for Grunfeld to pull that kind of transaction for sure but maybe they can waive Anderson and not have to pay tax next season althewhile picking up 2 future 1sts?

7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

The difference for me is that Ariza showed no hesitation in the corner which this offense requires. Luc is a reluctant 3 point shooter. Don't think he will accel like Trevor did in the corner. He would be adequate as defensive replacement for Clint (maybe even an improvement). Truth is we will be close to the same team as last year. We have a shot if everybody is healthy in the post season. If GS signs Howard and Tyreke it is over. Livingston dropped off a cliff last year. Tyreke is a huge upgrade. I also think we are likely to be the second seed to LA's third and will prevail, but be worn out for the WCF. Hate to be a wet blanket, but if GS signs either Tyreke or Howard our only hope is an injury to Curry, Durant, or Bonehead. I vote on that twitchy, mouthguard chewing twat.

D-rock and lw17 like this.
  8. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

No but he can put the coke to his nose

9. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

James Ennis is taking a meeting today. James Nunnally seems ideal if we can use part of the MLE to sign him. Treveon Graham is another name I've heard connected to us but he seems undersized to start at the 3.

I also see Qi stepping up and taking minutes at the 3 and 4.

Frankly, Ariza was an ideal fit we're going to have to split up his workload between a few different players. I think as long as nothing unexpected happens with resigning Capela we should be fine.

DonKnock, D-rock and ksny15 like this.
  10. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Luc and Ennis

Trev will be missed but CC and Tuck were the defensive anchors. If we can retain Luc and sign Ennis we will be just fine. RELAX

DonKnock likes this.
  11. finsraider

finsraider Member

That's kind of what I'm thinking. Anderson makes some sense with Washington, or he could be sent to a 3rd team with assets attached. Either way, this should save the Wizards a boatload in taxes, they can pick up a few assets and they could "reset the clock" on their luxury tax / future salary obligations.

For the Rockets, they get a starting 3, unload Anderson and the net gain in salary is +$5 million, which you can justify since you're not paying Ariza. I still think the more likely route would be Kelly Oubre Jr.

Otherwise, I don't think our starting SF is a free agent. Gotta be a trade

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I would move heaven and earth for Otto porter.

Perfect fit here.

13. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Yesterday I was very confident Ennis will get something close to $7-8 million which prices us out.
    On second thought though, if he was hoping for better offers from teams, our pitch can be he gets starter minutes and give him a player option. Then we can point to Ariza to show how if he has a good season and does what he’s suppose to do he can opt out and get a bigger pay day next season.

DonKnock likes this.
  14. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Wow. This site. No. There is no starter discussion involving Otto Porter and Ryno.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  15. RobKsports

RobKsports Member

I would go all in Otto Porter, Jr. Wizards are about to be repeat tax offenders with nothing to show for it, not even a single playoff series win last year. They have to pay Kelly Oubre next year, and they just drafted another SF in the first round (Troy Brown).

Rockets desperately need to get younger, currently the oldest team in the NBA (I can't even mock the Spurs anymore for being old). Otto is 24 years old and would immediately be a longterm starter at SF.

The question would be, do the Rockets have any kind of assets the Wizards would want? Unlikely at the moment but I'm sure Morey could figure something out.

16. steddinotayto

Hell I'd trade for Oubre and take back Mahimi if I could.

DonKnock likes this.
  17. finsraider

finsraider Member

Agree...I think he might be a star in hiding.

We already know Washington is gun-shy with the tax. Here's a deal that could work for everyone:

Houston In: Porter
    Washington In: Dewayne Dedmon
    Atlanta In: Anderson, picks and young players

Houston gets their starting SF

Washington gets their starting C, gets under the tax and turns their starting SF keys over to Oubre.

Atlanta gets assets

DonKnock, joshuaao and justtxyank like this.
  18. justtxyank

LOL I posted this EXACT trade in another thread.

Edit: I would do this in a heartbeat of course. It requires Washington to want to get below the tax and clear some money. This would do it for them.

DonKnock likes this.
  19. justtxyank

I THINK the Wizards prefer Oubre.

20. RobKsports

RobKsports Member

How could they not with those beautiful eyes?

steddinotayto likes this.