1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who are you taking with the 4th pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, May 16, 2023.

?

Who are you taking?

1. Amen Thompson

148 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. Jarace Walker

34 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Ausar Thompson

6 vote(s)
    1.8%
  4. Cam Whitmore

37 vote(s)
    10.9%
  5. Trade the pick

101 vote(s)
    29.7%
  6. Other (Specify)

14 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

He definitely put on muscle last off-season and some during the season. It was reported multiple times. He is going to be a very big, not just tall, man.

2. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I think there are some nice projects after the first three, but the problem is that none of them really stand apart from each other. In that regard, I don't see pick 4 being much better than pick 9 or 10. For that reason, I think you trade back if you can, or trade for a young veteran who might better help you win now. Getting pick 4 really sucks in this draft....

3. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Bring in both Amen and Ausar at different times to compare them individually. See how different Amen is from Ausar in athleticism and court vision. and passing. If you pick one of them, Pay $1 million or whatever it takes to hire the best shooting coach in the world. The other guys can use that person also.

4. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

If a player has superstar upside, they should roll the dice. The solid role players are obtainable.

mario_v and glynch like this.
  5. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

FVV could work well as the vet PG next year in rotation with Jalen, Amen, and KPJ.

FVV is solid on ball as a PG, but also plays well off ball as second side option and knockdown spot up shooter, and is a solid guard defender.

When Amen is on the court he has the size to comfortably guard any wing, and KPJ’s size and spot up shooting are pluses too. You could play 3 out of the 4 most of the game.

FVV/Jalen/Amen/4/5
    Amen/Jalen/KPJ/4/5
    FVV/Jalen/KPJ/4/5

All those lineups would combine well, and obviously also could have only 2 on the court sometimes.

Alternatively, for less of a commitment you could take on Kyle Lowry on an expiring instead of FVV. Great vet, experienced PG, spot up shooter off ball, dog, and playing well in the playoffs for Miami. Health-wise you may only get 50 games at 28 mpg, but that’s fine. Would come off the books and allow you to get to max cap space next summer too.

Gabe Vincent another cheaper option. Been solid in this role for Miami the last couple years and this playoffs, a real Udoka type player, and a UFA this summer. Udoka may have a connection bc they both are associated with the Nigerian national team.

Y2JT and OremLK like this.
  6. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

Yeah it's general human physiology to grow from age 18>19 and 19>20. I'm not arguing against the inarguable. You said 20-25 - that's what I'm arguing.

Not only will I take the under on 25 I'll take the under on 50% of it or 12.5. If you can find an article quoting or quantifying his prior gains then we can line that up against what a normal expectation would be (7-10 lbs?). Also, if you can find an article quantifying his work ethic or caloric/weight room commitment this offseason that would be fruitful.

Corrosion likes this.
  7. OremLK

OremLK Member

It would have to be via trade, like I said. My trade target list would include Tyus Jones, Mike Conley, CP3, Jrue Holiday, and maybe Kyle Lowry. Don't know which if any of those guys would be available, but I would talk to their teams and find out.

Another possibility could be signing D-Rose, but I don't think he has enough left in the tank to be honest.

8. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Is Jabari going to be trening hard and eating clen too?

9. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

That's a great contribution. If you're consistent in this approach you should improve that post to like ratio from 36% up to 37% or 38% within the next couple of thousand posts. It's right there w/in reach.

Don't stop now!

10. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

That's great and all but do you even lift bro?

11. s3ts

s3ts Member

I dunno but I really hope we pick a good one and develop this guy to be a star, prove the league wrong about the franchise.

I think the org usually does a pretty decent job in drafting players. I’m more worried about the process that follows.

12. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

I did. And then when that meme got played out by male Karen boomers roughly 10 years agor I decided to stop lifting. And then when it started to get shared by AARP's on Twitter I decided to unfriend everyone who still used it.

Bruh do me a favor. I feel f'n dumb responding to your r****ded stuff. Can you reply one more time so I can feel as though I didn't have to get the last word against a 4 year old w/ internet access?

TIA

13. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

u mad bro?

dream2clips likes this.
  14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

FVV sucked last year. No way you pay near max for that guy. You are much better off with a Conley, Carusso type that wont destroy you flexibility for 4 years.

15. dmoneybangbang

Haven't voted yet..... now that we know the order I've started looking at the draft picks in earnest. Starting to like Cam Whitmore. Seems more of a higher floor, lower ceiling type of versatile, bigger wing. Jarace Walker is the higher upside, mutant version of Whitmore but far less polished.

ChillyPete32 likes this.
  16. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

I haven’t watched enough of the guys in our range who could be realistic outside of Walker, Hendricks, Dick, and Miller if he somehow drops, to have much of an opinion but at the moment I’m going Whitmore.

Amen’s reel is tantalizing but I can’t get past having no idea what to make of what his performance in that league means, especially with a broke jumper.

Two years ago I got suckered into over valuing Jalen’s reel and moving away from my initial thought that Mobley was a no brainer.

Corrosion likes this.
  17. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Whitmore seems like a guy that will fit well in Udoka's motion offense.

18. OremLK

OremLK Member

I just can't shake the feeling that Whitmore might be Rudy Gay 2.0.

I reflexively have a lot more belief in a guy who looks to pass and has good court vision, no matter what position he plays.

The tools are really good with Whitmore, the statistical performance was also strong, and all of that at a very young age. Not a pick I would hate by any means. But I'd be very worried about his basketball IQ and decisionmaking.

19. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I think Whitmore might be the safest pick we realistically have a chance at getting in this draft. I don’t think he is ever going to be a star, but I think he has a chance to play for a long time. Perfect for keeping us nice and average!

OremLK likes this.
  20. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Whitmore had 19 assists last season...19...total. He was pretty much a black hole this year.

No Worries, BaselineFade and OremLK like this.