1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who are you taking with the 4th pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, May 16, 2023.

?

Who are you taking?

1. Amen Thompson

148 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. Jarace Walker

34 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Ausar Thompson

6 vote(s)
    1.8%
  4. Cam Whitmore

37 vote(s)
    10.9%
  5. Trade the pick

101 vote(s)
    29.7%
  6. Other (Specify)

14 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Yah because that’s what’s winning in the league right now! A perimeter player that can’t shoot midrange, from deep or the free throw line.Gotcha!

If this was the Olympics dude would be great at running and jumping but it’s a game of skill. And that shot of his is HORRIFIC. It wouldn’t surprise me if he slides on draft night. Oh and 57% said pass on him Brah.

Rokman likes this.
  2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Scoot goes 2, who is Portland taking @ 3?
    Miller seems like more immediate help to Dame than anyone else. You think they take Amen instead?

snowconeman22 likes this.
  3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

thats a good point , but why did they take sharpe last year then ?

Guys like abaji and griffin and some of the centers taken after him appeared to be more NBA ready

Sharpe was unkown and thought to be an upside pick.

Maybe they are trying the two timelines thing. Sharpe played above expectations imo . Maybe they think they should just surround Dame with athletes . or maybe they are really ready to rebuild

I'm mixed on Amen . I do see the athleticism , but the competition level , age relative to competition , and lack of shot are screaming red flags .

very scary pick in the top 5 due to bust potential.... and of course any of these guys could bust. But if Amen busted ... well you could see that coming.

Hey Wiggins still has a place in the league , so Amen can figure it out , just might not be with the team that drafts him ... which i hope the rockets draft a player that helps them out.

I like black and Walker . Not sold on whitmore either , need to watch more of him .

Corrosion and OremLK like this.
  4. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

We haven’t always agreed in the past, but my friend you are 1000% correct on your analysis. The people saying he’s the next MJ couldn’t read a scouting report if it hit them in their face. They believe everything that’s hyped by ESPN as the flash of the day. I laugh when I hear fans of Amen say he can do everything but shoot a basketball. Would u get on a plane with a pilot whose good at everything but flying the plane??? The NBA is not the training ground where you teach a 21 year old rookie how to shoot a basketball. I truly think the Rockets will have an opportunity to grab Amen at #20.

Rokman likes this.
  5. OremLK

OremLK Member

Portland's preferred prospect profile seems to be more in favor of the athletic high ceiling types. So I think there's a real chance they'd take Amen. I kind of have a suspicion their front office is trying to do the two timelines thing and just have a decent on-court product with Dame but not totally mortgage the future to try and win now.

So they might not be as concerned with what a guy brings right now as you might think. Also a lot of smoke with the Scoot & Amen workouts and Dame being in attendance--do we know if they even worked out Miller yet?

The other possibility is that they trade the pick, and then it just depends on what team gets it.

Edit: So basically what @snowconeman22 already said

#365 OremLK, Jun 6, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
  6. mightybosstone

OK? What does that have to do with what I said or his skills as a basketball player? Whether the OTE succeeds or not has no bearing on whether the Thompson twins will actually be successful in the NBA.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Because you were talking about 43% of people wanting a product like Amen but if he fails y’all are migrating to the next kid, and the OTE are about to suffer a blowback.

It is the same shet every year, but credit to you that think it is fresh as hell lmao.

I guess people want to take the Jalens the Jabaris, the raw players every year, I do not have to understand it.......

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

9. mightybosstone

Again, I feel like I've had to repeat myself a lot, but we all know the kid's shot is broken. But he wouldn't be the first player in the history of the league to come in with a poor jumper, figure it out and end up being a serviceable jump shooter and solid overall player. You can learn shooting. You can't learn court vision and athleticism, and he's elite in both categories.

Never said they didn't. You were the one who said "no one" wanted him. Last time I checked, 43% isn't "no one." He's still the top option selected in the poll by a wide margin.

Hive5, cbass and OremLK like this.
  10. mightybosstone

I don't care about the OTE whatsoever. I care about his talent as a player, the skill I see when I watch videos of him, the analysis of people who get paid to analyze players for a living and what the Rockets need right now: a star and a playmaker. Two to three months ago, I didn't even know the OTE existed, and when the draft is over, I will go back to not caring about it until the next time a top prospect comes out of the league. And if no other top prospect ever does come out of the OTE, I will lose zero sleep over it.

cbass and OremLK like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I was just responding to the 43% of people, I did not see you talking about skillsets....so carry on.

43% do not mean anything to me, it might to you.

OTE has a lot to do with 16 and 17 year olds making 250k or whatever......it will impact people's games because the money comes easy, and prospects might feel they do not have to develop fundamentals.....

It is a gamechanger but not necessarily in a good, productive way for young people.

#371 daywalker02, Jun 6, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
  12. mightybosstone

lol. Dude, look at the quote I was responding to. The poster clearly said "no one wants Amen." I was simply replying that it wasn't accurate. At least 135 fans on this site do want him, and I've seen similar polls on the Rockets subreddit with similar results. That's the point I was making.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ok. Nothing happened really.

As said, I am not saying nobody wants Amen but apart from Wemby and Scoot, all the others are a tad disappointing to me at least on the surface.

I think we have no real other choices. I feel those 135 fans also want someone much better than Amen.

Maybe I do not know those prospects from 4-10 that well but they do not strike me as generational guys or at least someone who is bound to be an All Star.

14. mightybosstone

To be fair, in all honesty, I'm not 100% sold on any prospect in this draft outside of Wemby or Scoot either. Every guy after that has a serious flaw or two in his game and reason to have concerns about taking him. And if the Rockets go a different direction, I'd be fine with Whitmore, Walker, Ausar, Black, etc. But with where they're at in the rebuild and who's left at No. 4, I would really like to see them go with a player with the highest ceiling and upside, and Amen is that guy, IMO. And I really don't want to see them just waste this pick by trading it for a second or third tier star player.

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Either trade up and get Scoot Henderson (but without giving up any of our core four - Alpi, Tari, Bari, Green), or trade down and get Taylor Hendricks.

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

Hendricks could go as high as 5, so trading back to get him doesn't make a ton of sense IMO. If he's their guy they should just pick him at #4, even though it's a bit of a reach. I doubt they'll do that though, they'd have to think he's the clear best player available since the fit is a bit questionable (lot of overlap with Jabari)... but you never know.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Okay, then just pick him there. 3&D.

If we actually sign Harden, and of course with Sengun, we have no shortage of playmaking (also, give TyTy a chance).

What if Hendricks ends up better than Bari at both these things?

Better player than OTE athlete with broken shot, I think.

18. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

If Miller falls to 4... not my favorite outcome but that should be quite the boost in shooting/spacing for Sengun to operate. Porter, Green, Miller, Smith all have at least the potential to be above average/elite 3 point shooters. If Sengun throws up a low 30% that would at least make teams guard him at the 3, opening up the lane for everyone else too. Only problem I think you have too many redundant skillsets.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Adding another broken shot to a team of broken shots might not be a good idea unless we are still tanking. We can go caca for Matas!

20. PatBev

PatBev Member

I’m so excited for this draft and season