1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who are you taking with the 4th pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, May 16, 2023.

?

Who are you taking?

1. Amen Thompson

148 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. Jarace Walker

34 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Ausar Thompson

6 vote(s)
    1.8%
  4. Cam Whitmore

37 vote(s)
    10.9%
  5. Trade the pick

101 vote(s)
    29.7%
  6. Other (Specify)

14 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I mean that was 20 years ago, time flew and here we are again.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the are the 3 guys from this draft i'd want on our roster:

scoot henderson
    bilal coulibaly
    taylor hendricks

sydmill and TEXNIFICENT like this.
  3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Rockets get Brandon and then becomes the worst 3 point shooter out the draft. Lol

bmelo likes this.
  4. pmac

pmac Member

I would trade #4 for our 24 and 26 picks in a second. But, I don't think OKC would agree because they probably see what some of us see - a team that is pretty far away from being competitive.

And, I actually don't think the rockets would do the deal either. They have to sell season ticket holders on #4 being a future superstar and this team winning a lot of games next year with whatever free agents we sign.

Selling the 2023's 1st for 2024 and 2026 is basically admitting we're gonna suck for a while longer.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  5. fattz

fattz Member

Sometimes it’s better to just tell the truth. New coach & we pick up the 12th pick. OKC sees new coaching staff that is going to turn this thing around and a chance at a really high pick => super star.

6. Bo6

Bo6 Member

so checking in... it looks like most Rockets fans are split with Amen Thompson or trading the pick.

Draft day rumors will be out of control this year.

fattz likes this.
  7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I really don't know who the best player is at #4, there are several good options. If we had to pick, I'd just go with whoever has the best off court and on court work ethic from the few names that always pop up. When the talent gap is narrow, work ethic always wins.

8. JW86

JW86 Member

I'd trade down and take Walker / Lively / Whitmore.

9. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

No one really wants Amen Brah.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There are no flawless players around that draft position to be 100 percent excluding Amen Thompson, otherwise I would be the first to crush Over time Elite snobs......

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/4340781/2023/06/05/jaylen-brown-houston-rockets-mailbag/

Are there any realistic pathways for the Rockets to trade up to No. 3 if Scoot Henderson is still there? — Matt H.

Henderson’s workout in front of the Blazers brass over the weekend made quite the impression on social media, particularly with a Rockets fanbase that is enamored with the young, gifted point guard. It’s a safe bet to assume the Spurs are drafting Victor Wembanyama. After that, it’s wide open. There seems to be a difference of opinion regarding what the Charlotte Hornets should opt for Henderson or take Alabama’s Brandon Miller at No. 2. With Portland then up at No. 3, where does that leave Houston?

Based on all of the pre-draft conversations, I’d be shocked if Miller was on the board when the Rockets are on the clock (I have him going second overall.) But if Henderson is there at three, I assume the Blazers will take him, unless there was a surefire trade to get Damian Lillard some much-needed help. The “Mikal Bridges for No.3 and Anfernee Simons” chatter refuses to go away no matter how much the Nets might shoot it down. But if those are the types of deal structures that interest Portland, I’m not sure if Houston has enough to compete with that.

Now, if the Blazers were willing to start over and move on from Lillard, the Rockets have enough assets to start a conversation — No. 4 and maybe a future first. But that only happens if Houston deems Henderson that much better than a lower-ranked prospect like Amen Thompson to warrant giving up premium assets. I’m not sure if they consider the talent gap that wide enough.

Would Harden really be a help or a hindrance? If they do sign Harden (or believe they will), then assuming they keep the No. 4 pick, who should they use it on? — Glen N.

I’m not one of those folks calling the league leader in assists a hindrance. Anyone who has watched this team labor to create sustainable offense over the past two seasons knows the importance of structure and organization, two things Harden certainly brings to the floor. Players like Jalen Green and Jabari Smith Jr. need a lead ball handler and quality playmaker for their development. Even if it’s not Harden, bringing in a veteran point guard will do this team a world of good.

If they keep the fourth pick, I would go best player available regardless of fit and take either Amen Thompson or Cam Whitmore. Whitmore might be my favorite player in this class but I’d lean towards Amen because of the combination of size, playmaking, athleticism and defense. We actually might not be talking about this kid enough, man. He’s a freak of nature.

12. Amadeus Rooster

Its clear to me that Amen T will mesh best w this team and a year or 2 of seasoning will start taking us to the playoffs and beyond.

So excited.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. No Worries

No Worries Member

NBADraft.net also another board with both rounds
    https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/?year-mock=2023

1.4 Whitmore
    1.5 Black
    1.6 Walker
    1.7/ 1.8 Thompson
    1.9 Smith
    1.10 Hendricks

1.15 Wallace
    1.16 Hood-Schiffino

1.19 Lively
    1.20 Leonard Miller

1.22 Kris Murray
    1.29 Whitehead

14. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Yes I know but if you look closely that's not a "big board", which is a person/website's value ranking of players, it's a mock draft, which is a prediction of what teams will actually do.
    Plus the mock came out on 06-01 while the big board is newer at 06-03.

I'll tell you what though, if that mock held true for the 1st five picks that would make all the Amen fans here as pleased as could be.
    We could then trade down our #4 with ORL for 6 and 11 and still get Amen.
    Coming out of the draft with Amen, D. Lively and L. Miller would be quite a haul!
    Or Black, Lively and Miller if Amen went at #4.

That would really set us up for the future to come out of this draft with a PG with great passing vision, defense and BBIQ, a rim-running 5 who may turn into a stretch 5 as well PLUS a jumbo wing with massive 2-way potential.
    Count me in for something like that!

15. Ancient Moabite

Yup, because past is the present, with a few minor tweaks here n there, deja by type ish

16. mightybosstone

43% of the people who voted in this poll (myself included) would disagree with you, brah.

Little Bit likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

People have invested hundreds of millions in OTE and the twins are their flagship.....if they fail, OTE is looking at less funding or even downright shutdown.

18. lionaire

lionaire Member

I'm not buying the rumors of Miller being a lock for top 3. Feels like the pre-draft rumors of Jabari last year. Nearly everyone was convinced he was 1 or 2.

OremLK likes this.
  19. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports
    Supporting Member

I agree. I have said it often here - Miller will go 4 to the Rockets. The excitement over PG talent in a guard league will trump a 3-and-D prospect who disappeared when it mattered most and showed up with a gun when it mattered least.

20. OremLK

OremLK Member

I've been thinking Miller will drop for awhile. I strongly suspect that if he doesn't go #2 to Charlotte (and I think there is a good chance they change their minds and take Scoot), he will fall all the way to #4.

maj21 likes this.