1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who are the "culture" factors?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, Jul 7, 2016.

1. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Great post - spot on. I'll just add that while I think obsession to winning is the #1 priority, let's also not forget that most players/personnel in the league you talk to would agree that is also their top priority. The real magic sauce is in agreeing that the way to get there is by being willing to trust in those around you to achieve that goal of winning. That's why that Lombardi quote is so good. Trusting in your teammates to make shots or cover defenders, trusting in the vision of the coaching staff, trusting in the vision of GM, even in the vision of the owner(frankly I'm not convinced Les cares as much about winning as he does big names and marquee games). Great players win games, great teams win titles.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

They don't always make the best choices, but on a personal level, they seem to do fine dealing with players. I don't remember any current or former players dissing them, other than Barkley and maybe Dwight.

3. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I mentioned I think Les is more about having marquee names than winning but then again, he isn't the "I'm making the deals" type of owner and as long as he leaves most of the decisions to Morey I think we are okay. The coach search this year was troubling though - it seemed like Les went with the obvious choice/big name guy. That being said, D'Antoni could very well help us and in the process earn himself the same redemption everyone else on this roster is looking for after being slagged in the media for so long.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So, what effect does surprising the league by using cap space on renegotiating a new max contract for your franchise player have on "organizational culture"

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

In the press conference announcing the "STATEMENT" contract, the franchise player turns leader?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">James Harden plans to bring <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rockets?src=hash">#Rockets</a> together next week to start working out.</p>&mdash; Brian T. Smith (@ChronBrianSmith) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChronBrianSmith/status/751867912189730816">July 9, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Culture is simple.

One team one goal. From top to bottom, coach, player management. We certainly didn't have that last year. We won't know if we have it this year till we get hit in the mouth.

Unfortunately talent, and health comes into play even if you have great culture.

One thing I think we miss is a guy like Green or Rodman... somebody that will do anything to win and may not be quite right but will take no crap and will give 100% relentlessly. Harrell is the only guy I see on this roster with the potential to be that guy.

Stephon Curry wouldn't hurt either.